What to look for and what to ask when buying a JM online? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: What to look for and what to ask when buying a JM online?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Pale Writer,
    Sounds like you have been reading with your eyes wide open and that is a good thing. Haters will always hate and lovers will always love. Somewhere in between is the truth and it sounds like you are very capable of seeing through the smoke to the truth. Unfortunately this thread seems to have turned into a Remington rant which in no way helps the OP.

BTW...welcome to the forum.
    rob42049, jerdog3 and Pale Writer like this.
    SI VIS PACEM--PARA BELLUM

WHAT WE THINK WE BECOME

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Upon his request, I advised the OP to place a WTB ad in the Classifieds here. He should be able to buy a good Marlin from another member, certainly a preferable alternative to online shopping. In person is the best way to buy a firearm, but our Classifieds are very successful.
    GFK, jerdog3 and Gareth Holland like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    Upon his request, I advised the OP to place a WTB ad in the Classifieds here. He should be able to buy a good Marlin from another member, certainly a preferable alternative to online shopping. In person is the best way to buy a firearm, but our Classifieds are very successful.
    Also, Rob saved me from getting ripped off on gunbroker.com. I found a deal that sounded too good to be true, and of course I thought the Marlin god's felt so bad for me that they personally delivered this deal to me. I'm that special. Haha.
    I asked Rob to check it out and he immediately replied.

I never trusted Fugate Firearms. They sell reconditioned rifles and advertise them as new. Avoid those guys.

I thought to myself, how could he know that off the top of his head? He replied so quickly he couldn't have googled them. So I googled them, and sure enough, I found several forum posts accusing them of advertising items as "NIB" and the condition of their products would suggest otherwise. Someone even said they got kicked out of the Sith & Wesson forum for something like that.
    Thank you so much Rob!
    I will check out the classifieds here and stay away from gunbroker
    Gareth Holland likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jerdog3 View Post
    Also, Rob saved me from getting ripped off on gunbroker.com. I found a deal that sounded too good to be true, and of course I thought the Marlin god's felt so bad for me that they personally delivered this deal to me. I'm that special. Haha.
    I asked Rob to check it out and he immediately replied.

I never trusted Fugate Firearms. They sell reconditioned rifles and advertise them as new. Avoid those guys.

I thought to myself, how could he know that off the top of his head? He replied so quickly he couldn't have googled them. So I googled them, and sure enough, I found several forum posts accusing them of advertising items as "NIB" and the condition of their products would suggest otherwise. Someone even said they got kicked out of the Sith & Wesson forum for something like that.
    Thank you so much Rob!
    I will check out the classifieds here and stay away from gunbroker
    While i have bought guns on Gun Broker that were good, I avoid it now. I don't like buying other people's problems so don't like buying used guns online. My favorite was the clown selling a Randall .45 automatic and trying to hide a very definite stress crack at the trailing edge of the dust cover on the slide with the angle at which he took the photos: He could point to it later if anybody said he didn't disclose it but he was also careful not to highlight it and he sure didn't mention it in the description. But even buying locally keep in mind there's always a reason somebody is selling something: sometimes it's to make a profit and sometimes it's to cut losses. Learned with too many people after shaking hands with them that I should have been counting my fingers as I walked away.

I'm not a fan of most of the large on-line retailers, either. I have had really good results with Grabagun (many transactions with them). On the other hand, look for news about the new ice skating rink in Hades before I do business with Bud's again.

But Rob is right. Time spent on Google (and Bing) is your friend here, specifically looking for complaints about a business or a product. I search by names of any individuals I can come across, by name of business, by street address and by e-mail address, and by phone number to see if somebody is hiding prior problems under a name change, and a couple of times the extra diligence has paid off. If the complaints are bogus, you'll find that when you follow up on the links, they tend to come back to one person or group that wasn't happy about something.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I found one! It is a beautiful JM stamped 1894 CB Limited serial number 93 (2007 I’m told). It is at my FFL for the 10 day waiting period, but then I can pick it up and dream of shooting it!

The guy I bought it from is on this forum. I posted a WTB thread (thanks for that advice Rob!) and Vinman PM’d me, sent me pics, spoke to me on the phone, and bent over backwards to ship it to California! He answered every question I had, and told me some I should have asked. Haha. He is a stand up guys and I totally vouch for him as an honest guy!

Since I won’t have the gun for another week, here are the pics he sent me, and they are real, Haha!

bdbrown66 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links