What to look for and what to ask when buying a JM online? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: What to look for and what to ask when buying a JM online?

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jerdog3 View Post

Its old technology verses new. The guns will shoot straight but the sights might set a little off. Peep sights on the frames are the real problem with these lever guns. Was a little surprised when Marlin offered them with XS sights. With a barrel mounted rear sight itís not as big an issue. With a tang sight itís also not an issue since they have windage adjustments. Just so you know, the current Remlins are better built guns than the JMís. Had a lot more trouble with the JM sights lining up as a whole and the internals were not near as good as the current Remlins.
    I don't know who made this statement, but it's 100% unadulterated, pure bull droppings. It's all wrong, and it's been proven wrong empirically. But the unknowing, and poorly informed, obviously believe it, and post it here for us to marvel at. This one is so far off the mark, it's beyond consideration.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    I don't know who made this statement, but it's 100% unadulterated, pure bull droppings. It's all wrong, and it's been proven wrong empirically. But the unknowing, and poorly informed, obviously believe it, and post it here for us to marvel at. This one is so far off the mark, it's beyond consideration.
    It sounds like a Freedom Group sponsored Public Relations gimmick.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Haha. I did not include the gentleman's name that said this because I thought it would anger some people.
    The guy who said this, and the guy who sent me the rifle with messed up sights, were both recommended to me several times between the threads I've started. Haha.
    Rob is correct. Without knowing what I'm doing I'm at the mercy of others.
    Maineiac likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jerdog3 View Post

Just so you know, the current Remlins are better built guns than the JMís. Had a lot more trouble with the JM sights lining up as a whole and the internals were not near as good as the current Remlins.
    Please thank the man who said this. If the newer (Freedom Group) Marlins are truly better guns than the JM era weapons, he needs to write an article and enlighten us. I just don't think I could stand it....buying a new Marlin that's 'better' than a classic JM. ;-)
    PileDriver, jerdog3 and Vooch like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherBark View Post
    Good logic. I'm from Ohio which has only recently allowed the .45-70 cartridge to be used in deer season. Prior to that event there was almost no reason to own a .45-70 here, unless a guy was simply a fan. As a result, there are precious few JM guns in safes, gun stores and shows....there simply is little to no reason for there to be many around. PA, MI and other states with a history of rifle hunting for deer or black bear it's much easier to find such guns from decades ago.
    Whereabouts in Ohio? I grew up in Jefferson County; my folks currently live between Columbus and Cleveland.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I’ve never herd such a dumb statement in my life. Anyone who says a new Remlin is as good or better than a JM Marlin is a flake. They also must know very little about guns. As a whole American guns had very little problems until the gun companies started having money problems. A lemon can get out once in a while but companies inspected closely and wanted no stain on their reps. Anyone who comes up with such drivel is not worth talking to. They
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Sadly there was a lot of guns made during the rough years after take-over. Many of these guns still sit in wholesalers. And they still make it to shelves. That being said, the ones I have seen over the last two years or so have been pretty good. Unfortunately when you order one, you run the chance of getting one of the bad ones. I found that if the shop ordered it in for inventory and there was an issue, they have already retuned it for a replacement.
    Ray Newman and jerdog3 like this.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS(2009), Winchester 1886 Extra Lightweight rifle(1910), Springfield Trapdoor carbine(1880), Sharps carbine(1863)
    I like big calibers

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2311 View Post
    Sadly there was a lot of guns made during the rough years after take-over. Many of these guns still sit in wholesalers. And they still make it to shelves.
    There was a lot of bad production after the move to Ilion, New York , April 2010. The takeover was Christmas/New Years 2007-2008, and excellent firearms were still being produced in North Haven up until April '10. North Haven employees were still on the payroll, no Remington workers were in Connecticut making guns. Freedom Group fired over 260 Marlin employees in one of the stupidest moves in firearm manufacturing history. No Marlin craftsmen went to New York. Now they have unskilled workers and day laborers assembling Marlins. They reap what they sowed. What goes around, comes around.
    Last edited by rob42049; 01-14-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    There was a lot of bad production after the move to Ilion, New York , April 2010. The takeover was Christmas/New Years 2007-2008, and excellent firearms were still being produced in North Haven up until April '10. North Haven employees were still on the payroll, no Remington workers were in Connecticut making guns. Freedom Group fired over 260 Marlin employees in one of the stupidest moves in firearm manufacturing history. No Marlin craftsmen went to New York. Now they have unskilled workers and day laborers assembling Marlins. They reap what they sowed. What goes around, comes around.
    Been lurking in the forum for a while and shadowing this thread. Don't have a dog in this fight but have to ask why, if everything was just peaches and cream before the takeover, then why did Marlin's owners find it worthwhile to sell to FG? The various published articles floating around on this topic point mention worn tooling, especially on the 1894. That sounds like a major source of quality problems right there and would make me wonder if Marlin management had a cash flow problem. There's also another little consideration: If you want really high quality items, you find a way to get manual labor out of the equation. Handfitting a firearm doesn't mean high quality. It means high, ever-growing labor expense and highly variable results depending on who's doing it. It's the antithesis of quality. -- Editing to say I think FG underestimated the difficulty of translating a design intended for 19th century production methods to modern manufacturing.

What several of you missed in the statement the OP quoted from the custom shop was "current' production. I called a shop recently that caters to the CAS crowd and was told to run away from any Remlin from 2016 and before but that the last couple of years of rifles have been pretty good. That seems reasonable to what I have seen in when I have been in the shops. Early Remlins looked as shoddy as USRA "Winchesters" (remember that buyout?) but the new ones I have seen look pretty darn good.
    Last edited by Pale Writer; 01-14-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    jerdog3 likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Writer View Post
    Been lurking in the forum for a while and shadowing this thread. Don't have a dog in this fight but have to ask why, if everything was just peaches and cream before the takeover, then why did Marlin's owners find it worthwhile to sell to FG? The various published articles floating around on this topic point mention worn tooling, especially on the 1894. That sounds like a major source of quality problems right there and would make me wonder if Marlin management had a cash flow problem. There's also another little consideration: If you want really high quality items, you find a way to get manual labor out of the equation. Handfitting a firearm doesn't mean high quality. It means high, ever-growing labor expense and highly variable results depending on who's doing it. It's the antithesis of quality. -- Editing to say I think FG underestimated the difficulty of translating a design intended for 19th century production methods to modern manufacturing.

What several of you missed in the statement the OP quoted from the custom shop was "current' production. I called a shop recently that caters to the CAS crowd and was told to run away from any Remlin from 2016 and before but that the last couple of years of rifles have been pretty good. That seems reasonable to what I have seen in when I have been in the shops. Early Remlins looked as shoddy as USRA "Winchesters" (remember that buyout?) but the new ones I have seen look pretty darn good.
    Pale Writer:
    Go to the MARLIN RANT thread, look in the stickies. There's a history of the sale in the stickies and read through the thread starting 2010 to present. You'll get the whole story from real Marlin employees who were there.

Short version, the owner was very old, sold Marlin to Freedom Group because family didn't want the business. The tooling was fine, the production output was 100% up to par, all production was sold to wholesalers a couple years in advance. Company running in the black, Remington decided it knew better. And on to the disaster. Read it yourself. The tooling was fine, Remington's untrained workers couldn't run it because they were unskilled. FG/Rem offered Marlin workers a giant cut in pay to move to NY. No takers, they fired them.

And here we are. Read it yourself in the RANT thread. The whole terrible story is there. After you're filled in, you'll be more prepared to comment. In the 10 years since the sale, Rem/FG/Rem Outdoors has yet to produce what Marlin Firearms, Inc did every year.

The thread you're looking for is titled "Marlin......... the real truth".
    Last edited by rob42049; 01-14-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Vooch, Ray Newman, jerdog3 and 2 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links