Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I'm looking for a custom shop for a Marlin 1894. Any advice?

6K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  jerdog3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would love some advice on who to buy a custom Marlin from. I tried this before, and the fancy custom shop I found on my own sold me a Remlin with crooked sights (I'm obviously hoping for better results this time Haha), and I'm not too proud to ask for help.

I will hopefully be buying a custom Marlin soon (once I get my refund from the first guy), and would like to know who, or where, you would get one from. I'm going to take my time and look around, so the more custom shops I can look at the better.

I would like an 1894 CSBL or 1894 CST in .357 mag / .38 spl. I would like it to be slicked up, deburred, and all that stuff, but most of all I really, really, want the sights to be centered, straight and accurate. Haha. This rifle is my gift to my grandchildren. I don't actually have any yet as my daughter is only 8 years old, but I believe the California government, and maybe the federal government, will make it so old style guns are the only ones law abiding citizens will be able to own. So I am willing to invest time and money in this one. And I can't get another Remlin! I want a problem free rifle that has been looked over and worked on by a skilled gunsmith. Any advice you have that will help me find this person would be doing me, and my future generations, a great service.
Thank you!

jerdog3

See less See more
#38 ·
Jerdog.

You may be best served by going to the Marlin Custom Shop for your needs. At least they will be responsible for the condition of the foundation rifle and they will be unable to argue that someone else messed it up after it left the factory.

Below is a list of sites of gunsmiths that either produce custom/modified Marlins or offer to work on Marlins to enhance them. I found these after a few minutes' search on the we. It would be time well spent to familiarize yourself with what modifications are possible and available, by visiting them. The sky is the limit, but it would help you to decide which set of upgrades you want. Most folks start with a budget. This can help them decide which features are ultimately included in the final product from the limit of the depth of their pockets.

Another consideration is what they themselves intend to do with their rifle, beyond leaving it to their grandchildren one day. Hunting, plinking, defense, silhouette, cowboy, etc , as will each tend to include different modifications. If you are after a showpiece or a safe queen, you should also be buying as much engraving as you can afford. I would suggest that you consider building to suit your needs and tastes. Nearly all custom fire arms that I have seen eventually become dated, as technology improves and functional shooting theories change. (Just look at the changes in practical pistol competition handguns or black rifles over the past 40 years or so.)

Do not rule out starting with an older JM Marlin. After all, those rifles have been functioning as intended for 20, 30, 40, 50 years or even longer. What ever wear they sustained over the years, if significant, can be easily addressed as part of the customization process.

The bottom line is that the more you know about the model and caliber you want to customize, the more likely you are to select the features that will serve you best, and the more likely that you will be to actually get the end product you desire. This includes things like effective range, handling, recoil, and accuracy of the rifle you start with. You must be involved in the process and take responsibility for it, or risk further disappointment. Otherwise just keep your eyes open on the various auction sites and forums for "custom" Marlins that someone else built and that they no longer want or have need for. Such rifles turn up regularly, if not often.

The sites below may provide you with some ideas. Don't expect a reputable gunsmith to tell you which modifications you need or should have. To do so would risk selling the customer features that he/she doesn't want or need. Once you explain your needs and desires, the smith should offer suggestions to best accomplish your goals.

Good luck.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/custom-shop

https://grizzlycustom.com/

https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/

https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/turn-your-stock-marlin-into-hardcore-hunting-rifle/329340 (.pdf custom rifles)

https://madpigcustoms.com/lever-action-gunsmithing

Home

https://www.doveguns.com/

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/marlin/gunsmithing.html

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

COWBOY ACTION FIREARMS - LONG HUNTER SHOOTING SUPPLY

#40 ·
OP, if this list doesn't do it for you, then I'm convinced you don't have a clue what you want. There is a very distinct difference between customizing a firearm and trickin' it out. As you can see, you'll spend considerably more money than you did the first time. I think you owe a few people on here an apology. You ask for advice and then mock them for giving it. Good luck, I'm done. haha!

#42 ·
"OP, if this list doesn't do it for you, then I'm convinced you don't have a clue what you want. There is a very distinct difference between customizing a firearm and trickin' it out. As you can see, you'll spend considerably more money than you did the first time."(emphasis added: RCN)
--FlatNose

BINGO!!!

#43 · (Edited)
jerdog,

Let me see if I can I help right this apple cart which has been overturned. Trust me, a lot of those who have commented have nothing but the best intentions and we love to see new people come into the Marlin family - especially when you have goals of passing this Marlin passion on to your prodigy.

I've been watching your threads and I'd like a little clarification that might put everyone at ease.... Let's try and remove the frustration both you and your commentors have experienced.

The fact that you want a Marlin with problem-free sights and proper barrel alignment is a given. We all want that, and we are all disheartened that so many Remington-made Marlins have serious QC issues (say nothing to the business practices which occurred during the Marlin/Remington transition).

With that in mind, let me see if I'm hearing your goals correctly...

You would like a
1.) "Custom" gun
2.) particularly a stainless Marlin 1894 chambered in .38/.357
3.) with the action slicked up
4.) having heirloom qualities
5.) with a future safe from CA gun-grabbers because a tube-fed lever action style likely isn't in their aspirations to ban

I would like to address these individually, and by all means, if I misrepresented your goals, please correct me and we'll re-evaluate a path forward.

1.) You keep using the word "custom" and I think they way you are using it may be very different than many Marlin Owner members are interpreting it. For the typical MO member, custom refers to gun made with both exceptional materials AND craftsmanship. This invokes images of high grade walnut, perhaps limited edition or even one-off engravings, and very, very fine fit and finish. Many guns which fall into this category are relegated as "safe queens" and are rarely fired or even handled. Understandably, these firearms come with BIG pricetags. From reading between the lines, this isn't exactly what you have in mind. I think you primarily want #3) which we will continue to discuss below...

2.) We all think it's awesome that you want a 1894 in .38/.357. We all want that (for ourselves and for you). I own a lot of Marlins, but that one has eluded me so far. My question is why that model and why that round? There's nothing wrong with your choice, but you've certainly picked a more challenging models to find. What is your plan for this rifle? Are you simply investing a nice, quality firearm to pass down which you plan on staying safe from gun-grabbers? Do you plan on going out and doing some plinking or hunting with it? Do you want to use it to teach your kids/grandkids proper gun handling/safety skills? Is this for home defense? All of these answers will help us point you in the right direction. Just be prepared, depending on your answers, we might point you towards a 336 in 30-30 or even a Henry.

3.) Again, as I read between the lines, I think having a gun smith work over the gun action (and upgrade the sights?) is what you are primarily after. Any competent gun smith should be able to accomplish this. You don't need to send the rifle off to a national level smith to have this work done with a bill of thousands of dollars. I'm going to ask since I saw you had a rail put on your first attempt - are you wanting a "tactical" lever gun? It's fine if you do. There will of course will be purists on this site who will poo-poo you for doing so, but so what. There is a whole thread dedicated towards that on this site if that's what you're into. Check out the initial post - if that's what you actually want (a tactical levergun), that's the best place to discuss your build. ...from the first post in that thread...

This section we are trying out for those that make and use tactical leverguns for home defense and other than the normal realm of applications..

There will be no digging or slamming members for their personal choices of what to do with their own firearms.. NONE..

If you don't like altered firearms stay away from this section.

4.) We all think Marlins, Glenfields, and even the "store-brand" Marlins have intrinsic heirloom quality. You don't need s gunsmith to alter your gun to achieve that. When our great grandparents were buying their Marlins decades ago, they didn't think to themselves, "Whelp, someday this gun will be too old to shoot and my great-grandkids will have to buy a new gun." They bought their Marlins to shoot and they knew with basic, proper care and maintenance, they would last generations. Whether you find an old JM stamped gun or a decent Remlin, before any gunsmith touches it, you already have a fine rifle you can be proud to hand down to your offspring. Whatever work you want done is just icing on the cake.

5.) This last part is pretty politically charged and you'll find lots of opinions. If you're looking for a lever gun solely for the fact you think it will be safe from future California gun laws, my personal opinion is you will be disappointed. There are those on the left who want to outright ban gun ownership and there was a former presidential candidate who stated just that. If your motivation is to be safe from California gun laws (and for personal reasons won't/can't/unable to take up a pro-2A cause in your state - we all have our own lives) than your best option is to MOVE. If you believe your children/grandchildren's 2A freedoms are in danger in California's future, AND you have a goal of them being able to be legal gun owners, than you really only have two options - get involved now or MOVE. Neither are easy or convenient. If moving is a better option for you, start planning it now. If you're thinking about them in the future, don't leave it to them try to move out of California later - you can do it now and you should probably do it soon. Again, this is an opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Take a look at the above, see if I've gathered your thoughts correctly, think about how to answer #2) and #3), then we can likely find a solution that makes you happy. I think we just need a little more clarification to provide answers which won't ruffle your feathers. Who knows? It could be as simple as you saying your friend inherited a really cool Marlin that was valued at $2k and you just loved it and want to recreate it for yourself. That's cool too. As soon as we have a better idea of what you really want to hold in your hands and how you want to use it, we can probably help out.

Best of luck!

#44 ·
jerdog,

Let me see if I can I help right this apple cart which has been overturned. Trust me, a lot of those who have commented have nothing but the best intentions and we love to see new people come into the Marlin family - especially when you have goals of passing this Marlin passion on to your prodigy.

I've been watching your threads and I'd like a little clarification that might put everyone at ease.... Let's try and remove the frustration both you and your commentors have experienced.

The fact that you want a Marlin with problem-free sights and proper barrel alignment is a given. We all want that, and we are all disheartened that so many Remington-made Marlins have serious QC issues (say nothing to the business practices which occurred during the Marlin/Remington transition).

With that in mind, let me see if I'm hearing your goals correctly...

You would like a
1.) "Custom" gun
2.) particularly a stainless Marlin 1894 chambered in .38/.357
3.) with the action slicked up
4.) having heirloom qualities
5.) with a future safe from CA gun-grabbers because a tube-fed lever action style likely isn't in their aspirations to ban

I would like to address these individually, and by all means, if I misrepresented your goals, please correct me and we'll re-evaluate a path forward.

1.) You keep using the word "custom" and I think they way you are using it may be very different than many Marlin Owner members are interpreting it. For the typical MO member, custom refers to gun made with both exceptional materials AND craftsmanship. This invokes images of high grade walnut, perhaps limited edition or even one-off engravings, and very, very fine fit and finish. Many guns which fall into this category are relegated as "safe queens" and are rarely fired or even handled. Understandably, these firearms come with BIG pricetags. From reading between the lines, this isn't exactly what you have in mind. I think you primarily want #3) which we will continue to discuss below...

2.) We all think it's awesome that you want a 1894 in .38/.357. We all want that (for ourselves and for you). I own a lot of Marlins, but that one has eluded me so far. My question is why that model and why that round? There's nothing wrong with your choice, but you've certainly picked a more challenging model to find. What is your plan for this rifle? Are you simply investing a nice, quality firearm to pass down which you plan on staying safe from gun-grabbers? Do you plan on going out and doing some plinking or hunting with it? Do you want to use it to teach your kids/grandkids proper gun handling/safety skills? Is this for home defense? All of these answers will help us point you in the right direction. Just be prepared, depending on your answers, we might point you towards a 336 in 30-30 or even a Henry.

3.) Again, as I read between the lines, I think having a gun smith work over the gun action (and upgrade the sights?) is what you are primarily after. Any competent gun smith should be able to accomplish this. You don't need to send the rifle off to a national level smith to have this work done with a bill of thousands of dollars. I'm going to ask since I saw you had a rail put on your first attempt - are you wanting a "tactical" lever gun? It's fine if you do. There will of course will be purists on this site who will poo-poo you for doing so, but so what. There is a whole thread dedicated towards that on this site if that's what you're into. Check out the initial post - if that's what you actually want (a tactical levergun), that's the best place to discuss your build. ...from the first post in that thread...

This section we are trying out for those that make and use tactical leverguns for home defense and other than the normal realm of applications..

There will be no digging or slamming members for their personal choices of what to do with their own firearms.. NONE..

If you don't like altered firearms stay away from this section.

4.) We all think Marlins, Glenfields, and even the "store-brand" Marlins have intrinsic heirloom quality. You don't need s gunsmith to alter your gun to achieve that. When our great grandparents were buying their Marlins decades ago, they didn't think to themselves, "Whelp, someday this gun will be too old to shoot and my great-grandkids will have to buy a new gun." They bought their Marlins to shoot and they knew with basic, proper care and maintenance, they would last generations. Whether you find an old JM stamped gun or a decent Remlin, before any gunsmith touches it, you already have a fine rifle you can be proud to hand down to your offspring. Whatever work you want done is just icing on the cake.

5.) This last part is pretty politically charged and you'll find lots of opinions. If you're looking for a lever gun solely for the fact you think it will be safe from future California gun laws, my personal opinion is you will be disappointed. There are those on the left who want to outright ban gun ownership and there was a former presidential candidate who stated just that. If your motivation is to be safe from California gun laws (and for personal reasons won't/can't/unable to take up a pro-2A cause in your state - we all have our own lives) than your best option is to MOVE. If you believe your children/grandchildren's 2A freedoms are in danger in California's future, AND you have a goal them being able to be legal gun owners, than you really only have two options - get involved now or MOVE. Neither are easy or convenient. If moving is better option for you, start planning it now. If you're thinking about them in the future, don't leave it to them try to move out of California later - you can do it now and you should probably do it soon. Again, this opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Take a look at the above, see if I've gathered your thoughts correctly, think about how to answer #2) and #3), then we can likely find a solution that makes you happy. I think we just need a little more clarification to provide answers which won't ruffle your feathers. Who knows? It could be as simple as you saying your friend inherited a really cool Marlin that was valued at $2k and you just loved it and want to recreate it for yourself. That's cool too. As soon as we have a better idea of what you really want to hold in your hands and how you want to use it, we can probably help out.

Best of luck!
PileDriver, thank you so much for bringing me back in and calming me down. I do owe everyone an apology. I am sorry. I really am. I was just getting so frustrated, and I think you put your finger right on it. I wasn't being clear, and we were all talking past each other. I think your questions can fix that, but I understand if people are done with me and this thread. I wish I could be too. Haha.

1.) I am using the word "custom" incorrectly. I don't need a fancy gun, and I don't care about looks over function, reliability, or quality. I like the idea of a finish that is more rust resistant and weather resistant, but I only picked the 1894 CSBL because that's what the custom guy had that wasn't already super fancy, and built up into what I guess would be considered a real custom gun. It was ready to be built up into one of his hight end rigs, but he didn't start yet. I did like the rail because my vision is failing, and a red dot or optic will be needed soon, but I can mount that on any Marlin, I think. This gun will not be a "safe queen". I can't afford to own any gun I don't shoot, when I'm able to.

2.) The .357 / .38 caliber choice is because I would like to pair it with a revolver, and so my wife and daughter can shoot the .38 in both revolver and rifle. Also, the indoor range near me, and most in Los Angeles, doesn't allow rifle calibers.

3. a) Again, you are correct. I was giving the wrong impression in regards to "custom". I work on computers. Whenever my friends or family need a new computer they call me and I go with them to get one or just order it for them. I don't have anyone like that to help me with my Marlin hunt. That's why I was trying to find a "Marlin gunsmith". I thought a gunsmith, not just a gun salesman, wouldn't let a messed up gun go out with his name on it. And the custom gunsmith I found (that someone on this thread suggested I should check out BTW) sent me a gun that was very disappointing, not rehash old news. I just want an "expert" or "professional" to look over the gun, and while doing that may as well "slick it up" and make sure there are no problems, internal or external. That's why I asked the guy to sight it in, and he did, but with crooked sights. Haha. I know it bothers a lot of people here that I would like a gunsmith to go over the gun before I get it, but I don't see what's so controversial about that. And yes, I know it didn't work out for me, but it's still a sound idea in theory.

3. b) I don't mind the "tactical" lever gun look, but I don't love it. I have all the tactical stuff I will ever need. I just know I will need an optic with my poor vision, and when the guy told me he had the 1894 CSBL that came with the rail, I was quite glad because I have a bunch of mounts that will work on it already. Now I really like that model, and the look. But I don't think I'll be putting a vertical grip or light on it. Haha.

4.) I know Marlin made great rifles in the past. And I know a lot of the new ones are fine too, but not all. My first choice would be a JM model, but they are hard to find in Los Angeles so I would have to buy one online. For instance, today I took a computer class, and on my lunch break I went to a near by gun shop to look at their Marlins. Believe it or not, but I seem to know more about Marlins than Los Angeles LGS's, which I think we can all agree is funny. At this shop all the lever guns are kept in the managers back office, not on display. I asked him if he had any JM stamped Marlins. He didn't know what I was talking about. I said, Marlins before Remington bought them. He laughed and said no.
So I looked at the CSBL and it had the XS rail on it, and the screws looked off, like they were too small or something. I asked him if I could see the other one that was up high on the wall that he would need a ladder to grab, and he said no. He said it would be the same and there was nothing wrong with the screws. I said, why is there this big gap in the screw hole? He said so you can shift the rail forward. I said, but there are no gaps in the other screw holes, and this is all one piece. He said I was wrong. Ok, maybe. I'm clearly not the expert.
So I asked him if I could see the CST. He said, "you mean the all weather?" I said, I think the Marlin calls that model the CST, and Henry is the "all weather." He really wanted to argue, but I think he realized he might have been wrong. When he handed it to me there was a large chip in the stock. Again, I thought even with these problems, if I bought it from a "custom" shop, they would just fix it.

5.) I can't move out of Los Angeles short of wining the lottery. I would really like to, but my career is unfortunately tied to this area. I am very active in the 2A fight. I go to all the local town hall meetings, I call, and write, all the local and national California politicians (city council to state senator. I have never gotten past the gate keepers to speak to the person who is supposed to work for me!), and I take anyone who want's to try shooting a gun to the range on my dime. First time is always free. But since I am staying in Cali, I think owning a long gun and hand gun without detachable magazines is a good idea. It's the best chance I will have of it being passed down, but still be a legitimate defensive weapon.

With all of that said, I am now really in love with the Marlin lever action. If I had a choice, I would get a JM model. If I can't get a JM, I now have really grown to like the 1894 CSBL. I didn't even like the look of it at first. Now I really do.

Thank you again PileDriver. I was not going to ever come back to this forum except to let people in the other thread know if the custom guy gives me a full refund or not. But I hope this clears things up and that people can accept my apology for being a defensive jerk.

Be well everyone.

jerdog3

#45 · (Edited)
jerdog3,

Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully respond. I think we all have a better idea of how to point you in the direction of what you want.

Your choice of model and caliber are spot on for the reasons you provided. I think everyone will agree, you have good taste. The big thing, however, for finding that combination is going to be patience. No amount of money can speed that up. Either you'll have to be patient and wait for the right JM-stamped rifle to pop up for sale (and be affordable and not snatched up by one of the many other Marlin fans, like myself, who are in the same hunt), or you'll have to be patient and wait for a quality 1894 to escape the Remington factory.

I will add, if you are lucky enough to find a used JM model, you may find it shouldn't need any gunsmith work at all. This will be due to both the better build quality of the older JM's AND years of use tends to self-polish the internals and make the gun operate smoother. I'd wager many here would agree that a nice, used JM won't need "slicked up" at all.

Also be aware, there is another usage of the term "slicked up" that pertains to competition shooting - particularly Cowboy Action Shooting. Those guys take their guns to a whole other level when it comes to smooth, quick actions. That is NOT something you need for your average personal gun. What you want, if you get a Remlin, is to have a regular competent gunsmith de-burr and polish the action just to get rid of any sticky points and gritty feeling motion.

If you are able to purchase your gun through any reputable dealer, they should be able to help you select and then install some optics. When I purchased my last Gen 5 Glock, I had the retailer install Trijicon sights and they didn't charge anything for work because I bought the gun and sights from them. We all understand optics can make the gun more enjoyable with eyesight that might not be as good as it was. There are MANY of us on this forum which have done the same thing. If for some reason, your retailer can't install the optics, or you end up purchasing from and individual, we can talk you through installing optics yourself. It isn't that difficult.

As far as getting your firearm a protective coating, that's probably overkill for a rifle which will see mostly range time and not be used out in the elements and/or tough brush. Of course, if you simply like the aesthetics, go for it! You don't need a gunsmith per se, just a coating applicator. Plenty of information on that online. Cerakote tends to be a popular choice. When it comes to Cerakote specifically, make sure the vendor is a certified applicator.

If you have the itch to go shooting right away, you can find a Henry or Rossi or Winchester levergun while you wait for the right Marlin to come along. You can then sell or trade your Henry/Rossi/Winnie when you find your Marlin. A Henry .22 might also be an option just to get some plinking time in with the levergun platform.

One final piece of advice. I recommend purchasing a nice screwdriver set with hollow ground bits and a punch set. This will help immensely. I know you mentioned you haven't a lot of mechanical exposure. That's okay. Luckily, most firearms are actually pretty simple machines. It doesn't take a very big tool inventory to accomplish basic care and maintenance. This forum and YouTube is your friend. You'll be amazed at how much you'll be able to do. I'll make another post talking about screws, screw drivers, and why people were up in arms about the photos of screws you posted from your first attempt.

Again, you've picked a very fine rifle to add to your collection. You are to be commended for taking up the 2A fight in California. Remember, patience is going to be the key finding the right Marlin 1894 in .38/.357. That's just they way it is right now. I've been waiting for over 5 years for the right one to come along.

If you have other questions, please ask.

#46 ·
Thank you again PileDriver! As much as I've grown to love the look of the new 1894 CSBL with the XS sights and rail, I think I will look for an old JM Marlin. Again, my worry is that I will have to buy it online and hope someone takes as good care of their guns as I do. But I'm thinking of trying to find a Marlin from the 80's, pre safety. That should be organically "slicked up" and built by craftsmen, not factory machines.
Do you think that's a good idea? If you had your choice, what year / decade, would you want? Would you want one pre safety, or with a safety? Would one built in the 80's last as long as one built today (assuming the one built today wasn't messed up at the factory).
One thing I forgot to mention. The reason I'm moving so fast, or trying to, it that I start a new job tomorrow. I had the whole time off from Christmas until now. I wanted to get the rifle and shoot the heck out of it while I was on break. Starting tomorrow, you will see a lot fewer posts from me. I'm sure that will make some people very happy! Haha!
Thank you PilesDriver!
jerdog3

#52 ·
But I'm thinking of trying to find a Marlin from the 80's, pre safety. That should be organically "slicked up" and built by craftsmen, not factory machines.
Do you think that's a good idea? If you had your choice, what year / decade, would you want? Would you want one pre safety, or with a safety? Would one built in the 80's last as long as one built today (assuming the one built today wasn't messed up at the factory).
jerdog3
I think your choice to look for a JM is fine. Many here share that sentiment. As for the safety vs. pre-safety - I'd say that's just personal preference. There are safety delete mods on the 336, so maybe that exists for the 1894 too? Can someone more knowledgeable on this platform can confirm this?

#47 ·
Jerdog,

I would like to suggest that you open a new thread for further discussion of this topic. You are getting closer to being able to describe specifically what you are looking for and a new thread will attract new readers. Once a thread becomes this long, (5 pages) readers tend not to read every previous post. Besides, this post carries some baggage that might be best left behind.

I encourage you to continue to ask your questions, a few at a time, and further narrow your criteria for that special 1894c. But do it in new thread, under a different title. I think you will get the information and suggestions you want.

And let us know what happens with rifle that started this discussion.

Good luck.

#49 · (Edited)
Okay, lets take a quick look at the hubbub created by the screws on the custom rifle...

Remember, the connotation of a "custom" rifle with a price tag north of $2k, invokes above average craftsmanship and very, very fine materials and finishes. Names like Turnbull come to mind.

A hollow ground screwdriver tip is one which is designed to fully seat into the slot of a screw. See the images for an idea of what this means. When the tip fits properly, it should not mar, chip, or mangle the screw's slot in any way. This is desirable both because of aesthetics, but continually using an ill-fitting screw driver will continue to mar the slot to a condition in which it is difficult to fit any screwdriver into the slot.

Check out these images....

Flowerpot Rain gauge Houseplant
Text Diagram Design

If we look at the photos of your first gun, we can quickly and easily determine a proper fitting screw driver was NOT used. This was a MAJOR RED FLAG. No reputable gun smith, let alone a custom gun builder, would put this in the hands of customer and imply this is a "new" gun. I don't know who boogered up those screws, and it doesn't matter. As a new firearm, they should have been replaced.

Longboard
Technology Small appliance Electronic device

Here are two tool sets that would be good for a beginner. If you have the funds and would like to invest in sets with more pieces, that's fine. But these two sets are fairly inexpensive and should serve you well. You'll notice there are a quite a few screwdriver bits. It's important to have a many sizes, because not only do you want the bit to fit into the slot correctly (above images) but you want it to fit the full width of the slot too. That will prevent the end corners from digging into the slot faces and causing gouges like you see in the photos of your first gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Compa...eywords=gun+screwdriver&qid=1578935258&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/BUSSTAN-Guns...ld=1&keywords=gun+punch&qid=1578935290&sr=8-4

I'm sure others can chip in and offer advice on a few tools to have to make gun ownership more pleasing.

Again, happy hunting for your Marlin!!

#50 ·
Okay, lets take a quick look at the hubbub created by the screws on the custom rifle...

Remember, the connotation of a "custom" rifle with a price tag north of $2k, invokes above average craftsmanship and very, very fine materials and finishes. Names like Turnbull come to mind.

A hollow ground screwdriver tip is one which is designed to fully seat into the slot of a screw. See the images for an idea of what this means. When the tip fits properly, it should not mar, chip, or mangle the screw's slot in any way. This is desirable both because of aesthetics, but continually using an ill-fitting screw driver will continue to mar the slot to a condition in which it is difficult to fit any screwdriver into the slot.

Check out these images....

View attachment 786651 View attachment 786653

If we look at the photos of your first gun, we can quickly and easily determine a proper fitting screw driver was NOT used. This was a MAJOR RED FLAG. No reputable gun smith, let alone a custom gun builder, would let put this in the hands of customer and imply this is a "new" gun. I don't know who boogered up those screws, and it doesn't matter. As a new firearm, they should have been replaced.

View attachment 786655 View attachment 786657

Here are two tool sets that would be good for a beginner. If you have the funds and would like to invest in sets with more pieces, that's fine. But these two sets are fairly inexpensive and should serve you well. You'll notice there are a quite a few screwdriver bits. It's important to have a many sizes, because not only do you want the bit to fit into the slot correctly (above images) but you want it to fit the full width of the slot too. That will prevent the end corners from digging into the slot faces and causing gouges like you see in the photos of your first gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Compa...eywords=gun+screwdriver&qid=1578935258&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/BUSSTAN-Guns...ld=1&keywords=gun+punch&qid=1578935290&sr=8-4

I'm sure others can chip in and offer advice on a few tools to have to make gun ownership more pleasing.

Again, happy hunting for your Marlin!!
Amazing info! Thank you so much!

#51 ·
I will take a shot at answer your JM questions regarding dates and safety or not. Many prefer the pre-safety I think more for the clean look rather than function. You can use, ignore or remove the safety as you like. As far as years, I don’t think there is a big difference between 80’s or 90’s guns, but I would defer to Tomray, our resident expert.

#53 · (Edited)
The good part, a Marlin man in the making. Glad PileDriver was able to clear up things. Nothing is wrong with a gunsmith looking at a firearm. But, is that the same approach applied to all things you my purchased (vehicles, applications, electronics, etc.). The point, it is just another thing being purchase. Trust your judgement. Just as you were able to determine that the Marlins you handled did not pass your inspection, you will able to pick one that is in fairly good condition. If a JM works for you, go for it. There are deals to be had. But as mentioned previously, patients is the key. As for me, my patient ran out after a year and a half or so. Therefore, a new one was purchased (1894C). So far, I am happy. The only thing that I may do to it is add a fiber front post (less than $20). At any rate, good luck on your search.

#54 ·
The good part, a Marlin man in the making. Glad PileDriver was able to clear up things. Nothing is wrong with a gunsmith looking at a firearm. But, is that the same approach applied to all things you my purchased (vehicles, applications, electronics, etc.). The point, it is just another thing being purchase. Trust your judgement. Just as you were able to determine that the Marlins you handled did not pass your inspection, you will able to pick one that is in fairly good condition. If a JM works for you, go for it. There are deals to be had. But as mentioned previously, patients is the key. As for me, my patient ran out after a year and a half or so. Therefore, a new one was purchased (1894C). So far, I am happy. The only think that I may do to it is add a fiber front post (less than $20). At any rate, good luck on your search.
Thank you GFK! I think I will start a thread about buying a JM as I'm sure most people are sick of this thread. And I want to thank everyone who commented here. Especially Piledriver and HIKayaker. thanks gang!
jerdog3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.