I got a crazy expensive COSTUM Marlin with a problem. What would you do in my spot?
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree684Likes

Thread: I got a crazy expensive COSTUM Marlin with a problem. What would you do in my spot?

Tinhorn
    Member #

I got a crazy expensive COSTUM Marlin with a problem. What would you do in my spot?

So I bought an 1894 CSBL from a custom shop. I don't want to throw anyone under a bus until I find out how this plays out, so I won't mention any names. But I told him I'm only willing to pay this crazy amount for a new Marlin that have bad reputations because I trust he could get me one without any problems. Here is the problem. My front sight is so far to the right it's hanging out of its dove tail base, and the rear sight is all the way left.
    I asked the custom shop if that could have happened in shipping to me. Here is his email response:

I doubt that the sights have moved during shipping. Shoot it to be sure. Most of the new Marlins seem to shoot to the right for some reason. Some have been so bad that we have returned them. Your sights are adjusted to hit the point of aim at 50 yards. If it does not do that please let me know!

The front sight is adjusted by sliding the insert left or right in the dovetailed base. Best done with a tool designed for the job. You should not have to adjust the front sight.

I'm embarrassed to admit, but I paid about $1,500 for a custom gun that seemingly doesn't shoot straight. My real concern is this, one of the custom jobs he did was: "Barrel, remove & recrown w/11° target crown". So I can't even blame this on Marlin right?

I don't know what to do. I'm going to shoot it this Wednesday, but if the sights aren't able to be dead center and hit point of aim, should I ask if I can return the gun for a refund? What would you guys do in my position? Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you,
    jerdog3

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I would expect better than that. Of course the shop would have to fix it as any warranty from Remington is voided which is reasonable.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jerdog3 View Post
    So I bought an 1894 CSBL from a custom shop. ....
    .... Here is the problem. My front sight is so far to the right it's hanging out of its dove tail base, and the rear sight is all the way left.

I can't imagine any sight being that far from center.
    And I would expect them to be off-center to the same side of the barrel.
    Shoot it and see how it is. That just doesn't sound right.

You can probably fix it yourself, but you shouldn't have to.
    If they don't correct the problem, it might be time to start naming names.

Good luck with it.
    jerdog3, turbobug, Travlin and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    For that kind of money it should spot on every where.After you shoot it take a wooden dowel & small hammer to tap the sights in line I can not believe the sites can be that far off good luck.
    jerdog3, 1956CJ5, Maineiac and 4 others like this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike 2010 View Post
    For that kind of money it should spot on every where.After you shoot it take a wooden dowel & small hammer to tap the sights in line I can not believe the sites can be that far off good luck.
    I'm so disappointed! I can't express how disappointed I am. I sold one of my favorite guns to be able to buy this one. I had such a good back and forth with this guy telling him how concerned I was with new Marlins. He convinced me that I'd be good. Here are some pics of the sights. This is what he had to do to get it to shoot point of aim, or however you say it. You tell me if this is a $1,500 gun?

Marlin Front Sight_3.JPG
    Marlin Front Sight_1.JPG
    Marlin Rear Sight_3.JPG
    Marlin Rear Sight_2.JPG
    Marlin Rear Sight_1.JPG
    flatsneck, 1956CJ5 and Sambane like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Unacceptable

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    wow, I hate that for you
    Waffletop, jerdog3, Yooper and 3 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Recrowning a barrel will affect the accuracy dramatically if it wasn’t done right. So if the “custom” shop messed it up and are compensating for it by drifting the sights to either side, that just isn’t right. I’d send it back even if it hits the target at fifty yards. The sights should be near center.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73
    Team Remington 700 #63
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135
    Team Winchester #131
    Team 1894 #515

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I'd center the front sight, center the rear sight, then take it out for a test shoot. If the sights needed adjustment, I'd do it at the rear, and leave the front sight centered. Always try to keep the front sight centered. Every shooter needs to learn how to adjust iron sights, it is an absolutely necessary skillset.

If it won't target reasonably with the sights centered, then send it back. If you're within 4 to 5 inches with both sights centered, the necessary adjustments can be made at the rear. Test fire it first before sending it back.
    Last edited by rob42049; 01-06-2020 at 01:26 AM. Reason: grammar
    jerdog3, Kendawg, Travlin and 17 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    I'd center the front sight, center the rear sight, then take it out for a test shoot. If the sights needed adjustment, I'd do it at the rear, and leave the front sight centered. Always try to keep the front sight centered. Every shooter needs to learn how to adjust iron sights. It's not worth sending it back, iron sight adjustment is an absolutely necessary skillset.
    The way I read the complaint is that the shop zeroed it already and that is where they had to adjust the sights. If all I had to do was drift them back to mechanical zero I would not sweat it but if you have to have the sights at their mechanical extreme to get it on paper that is no good.

The photos are not as bad as what the OP was describing but that is still quite a bit off center.
    rob42049, Kendawg, jerdog3 and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links