Fixing front sight on an 1894?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Fixing front sight on an 1894?

Tinhorn
    Member #

Fixing front sight on an 1894?

Hey gang,
    I just got my new 1894 CSBL with XS rail and sights. I love it and it looks awesome, but the front sight is hanging off the the right! Haha. I knew I wasn't going to get lucky and get a gun with no problems. I found a bunch of videos on how to adjust the rear sight, but not the front. Do I just go buy a "push" or something softer than the front sight and gently hammer it center? I don't want to twist or move the barrel is it happens to be straight. Also, do I need to remove it and add lock tight or something? Please take a look at the pics below and I'd love to hear any advice you have. I'm going to the range on Wednesday and I'm a bad enough shot with straight sights! HAHA.
    Thanks boys!
    jerdog3

Marlin Front Sight_1.JPG
    Marlin Front Sight_3.JPG

Super Moderator
    Member #
    If it is already sighted in then you'll have to adjust the rear after you do the front... Support the barrel with a piece of wood or a gunsmiths block and use a brass punch. Set the punch on the sight and slowly tap it with a hammer until it is centered. Then you'll have to adjust the rear to compensate...
    jerdog3 and Maineiac like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiusb View Post
    If it is already sighted in then you'll have to adjust the rear after you do the front... Support the barrel with a piece of wood or a gunsmiths block and use a brass punch. Set the punch on the sight and slowly tap it with a hammer until it is centered. Then you'll have to adjust the rear to compensate...
    Thanks Scorpisub! Do I need any kind of "bonding" element? I'm so dumb I don't know when to use lock tight and when not to. I usually have to watch a few youtube videos and see what they do. Haha.
    Thanks again!
    jerdog3
    Scorpiusb likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Front sight is in a dove tail groove. They're usually in pretty tight. Make sure the barrel screws and snug before you beat on it. But don't strip them. Best to support both the barrel and the base of the sight.

Unless you know someone with a sight pusher.
    IMG_0215.jpgIMG_0216.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0219.jpg

Clamps to the barrel, or handgun slide, and the bolts push the sight one way or the other. Many different iterations of these. This one is home made.
    Maineiac, phwebster and jerdog3 like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    No bonding agents... It is an interference fit...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Front sight is in a dove tail groove. They're usually in pretty tight. Make sure the barrel screws and snug before you beat on it. But don't strip them. Best to support both the barrel and the base of the sight.

Unless you know someone with a sight pusher.
    IMG_0215.jpgIMG_0216.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0219.jpg

Clamps to the barrel, or handgun slide, and the bolts push the sight one way or the other. Many different iterations of these. This one is home made.

You wouldn't happen to live in Woodland Hills? Haha. I'll look in my daughters Barbie toy box for something that might work. Haha. Darn it!
    The thing is I have to do it at the range because the front sight is all the way to the right, and the rear is all the way to the left, so I'm worried it was actually sighted in like this and I won't be able to adjust it. But I will have to find out at the range. Will an AK/SKS sight tool work?

AK:SKS sight tool.jpg
    Maineiac likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I cant imagine that Remlin did any "sighting in" of that rifle. I would say they just didnt install the sights with a lot of care. I would get everything centered as best you can at home and then head to the range and check the results and adjust the rear accordingly. The SKS tool should work for at least getting the front sight centered.

Anyone with a love for lever action rifles should invest in a sight pusher/puller. I grabbed one on sale at Midway USA 10 years ago when it was on sale and its the best thing I did. Makes upgrading or replacing/adjusting front sights smooth and easy.
    Maineiac and jerdog3 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Be heads up on the screws on that sight. They back out very easily. When you re-do the sight I would recommend some blue locktite.
    Maineiac and jerdog3 like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I would center the front sight at home with the tool at home and adjust the rear sight at the range. Rear sights are usually easier to adjust as you do not need to worry about supporting the ramp as with front sights. I use a brass punch made for the job from Skinner sights.
    Testimonials

Punch.jpg

This punch has flat side that is useful in some instances.

Or you can make your own.....
    spsix and jerdog3 like this.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Here is an interesting tool. It supposedly works pretty good. It's called the Wyoming Sight Drifter.
    Wyoming Sight Drifter
    Last edited by GBertolet; 01-05-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Ojaileveraction and shifty like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links