Glock and AR fully loaded with one in the chamber. Can I do the same with an 1894?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Glock and AR fully loaded with one in the chamber. Can I do the same with an 1894?

Tinhorn
    Member #

Glock and AR fully loaded with one in the chamber. Can I do the same with an 1894?

It is very easy to find research on Glock mags, and PMAGs, and the firearms being left fully loaded with one in the chamber for extended periods of time, but I can't find anything about leaving a Lever gun loaded for extended periods of time.
    I'm new to this so any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a new 1894 CSBL .357.
    Thank you!
    jerdog3
    Maineiac likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    No difference. Still you have a steel chamber and a brass or nickel cartridge.

Personal preference, I try to cycle out chambered ammo at least once a year in home protection guns. Carried guns, under 6 months.

No reason to leave a hunting gun loaded unless it's for around the home pests.

DR
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106
    "Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I don't like to leave any type of magazine fully loaded for a extended period of time ,hard on springs imo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It wont hurt a magazine spring, however I wouldn't want to leave it cocked with pressure on the hammer and trigger spring for a long time.
    drinva, jerdog3, miket156 and 5 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I only leave my fast defense guns with one in the chamber, if I used a lever gun for immediate defense I would keep one in the chamber with the hammer down. When I hunt with a lever gun that is how I keep it in the field so I am trained to pull the hammer back to put in firing condition. I cycle my defense ammo at least every 6 months.
    Grenadier and Travlin like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The 1894 with crossbolt safety is perfectly safe to leave with the chamber loaded, safety on. With an earlier, non-crossbolt safety gun stored chamber loaded/hammer down there is the slim possibility of, say, the gun falling, the hammer being pulled back somewhat and released, creating a discharge.

Fears of loaded magazines harming springs are utterly baseless. Springs wear and weaken by repeated cycling -- compressing and releasing. Simply compressing the spring and leaving it compressed has no adverse effect.

Having said all that, I'd leave the mag loaded, chamber empty. Ready-to-fire is just a flick of the lever away, and the odds of accidental firing are reduced to nil.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Tinhorn
    Member #
    You guys are all correct. I'm such a city guy (Los Angeles) that I forgot I didn't buy a Lever Glock. Haha. I'm so used to having my guns "ready to go" that I guess I could have one in the save that doesn't need to be "hot".

Thanks for bringing me back to reality boys! Happy new year!
    jerdog3

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    The 1894 with crossbolt safety is perfectly safe to leave with the chamber loaded, safety on. With an earlier, non-crossbolt safety gun stored chamber loaded/hammer down there is the slim possibility of, say, the gun falling, the hammer being pulled back somewhat and released, creating a discharge.

Fears of loaded magazines harming springs are utterly baseless. Springs wear and weaken by repeated cycling -- compressing and releasing. Simply compressing the spring and leaving it compressed has no adverse effect.

Having said all that, I'd leave the mag loaded, chamber empty. Ready-to-fire is just a flick of the lever away, and the odds of accidental firing are reduced to nil.
    I would add a slight modifier: If the spring is correct for the application, extended compression will have no practical adverse effect. Eventually, any spring redistributes the compression stresses internally. A properly designed and manufacture spring simply takes much longer to do so. Case in point, I have some old 1911 GI-issue magazines that had been loaded for more than 30 years that were perfectly reliable. Back in thr late '80s, I bought new. commercial magazines (Colt) that required spring changes after mere months of remaining loaded and were notably compressed when I removed them in comparison with the springs in the unused magazines. These had the same spring winding and geometry as the ones in the GI-issue, but the same magazines with the GI springs dropped in worked great.

Edit: BTW, I like your point about the cross-bolt safety. I know the purists don't care for it, but for a gun that may be called on for home defense duties and be kept with a round in the chamber for extended periods of time, I like having a hammer-block safety.
    Last edited by Tom Foolery; 01-01-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Like Drinva, I cycle out every now and then. I keep all my pistol in condition 2, hammer down, round chambered. I do not want to take time to chamber a round. But, I have a pump shotgun that has nothing in the chamber, and a lever action the same. My theory is that bad guys are genetically prone to run like hell when they hear a shotgun pump or a lever action being racked.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Again the magazine spring is a non issue, however with the hammer spring you aren't compressing it when cocked you are stretching it. I wouldn't leave it cocked even with the safety on for long periods of time as the spring is still stretched.
    jerdog3 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links