Remlin .44 mag accuracy issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Remlin .44 mag accuracy issue

Sidewinder
    Member #

Remlin .44 mag accuracy issue

I have a new Remlin .44mag that shoots 1" groups at 50 yards with no other rounds in the magazine. As soon as I load the usual 4 other rounds, the groups stretch out to 3 to 4 inches for the 5 shots. Is this normal? If not how may it be fixed? Thanks for any help.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    No it is not normal.

And no obvious fix for your problem comes to mind, however, I'll go down the list. Sounds as if you might be doing something different between loading singles, and feeding from the magazine. I'm shooting in the dark here, but maybe something will help...

Make sure the screws in the receiver and the fore end cap are snug, as well as the scope mounts and the rings.

How are you supporting the rifle while firing? Firing from a bench? Standing holding the rifle?

If firing from a bench, make sure the fore end is supported on something soft, a back pack, a roll, or at least your hand.

Make sure the fore end support is at exactly the same place for every shot.

Give the rifle plenty of time for the barrel to cool between shots. Check the barrel for temperature with your hand.

Make sure you are sitting in a comfortable position, sitting up straight, and not all scrunched up, and with the rifle at a comfortable height for you.

Use a good recoil pad, or padding between the butt stock and your shoulder.

Try another brand of ammo. Jacketed bullets are usually more accurate than cast.

Give proper attention to squeezing the trigger.

Remove your sling. Make sure your rear sling stud isn't recoiling into your rear sand bag.

Try mounting a different scope.

Have a friend shoot a group or two.

One of the last things I'd do is remove the fore stock and check clearances between the wood and the barrel and magazine.

I hope someone else can suggest something more specific.

Good luck!
    Vooch, 4mynra, gunscrewguy and 1 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thank you for your suggestions! I'll answer those as best as I can. I fired from an adjustable for height bench rest that has a soft leather pad under the forearm. I switched scopes from the first Simmons I had on it, to a brand new Nikon. Since I'm a bench rest cast boolit shooter, I am aware of keeping the rifle in the exact same position for each shot. I fired 15 rounds of jacketed bullets from a known load after 2 different cast boolit loads, also from a know accurate load, would not group worth sour owl manure. It was with the jacketed load of 23g of H-110 and a 240g bullet that I experienced the 1" group firing singly and the much larger group when the magazine had 4/ea rounds plus one in the chamber. I did not feel the bbl for warmth as I only fired 5 shots and then let the gun rest for a few minutes. The ambient temp was about 50 degrees. I offered to let my shootin' buddy fire the rifle to see what he could do, but he declined. He is very recoil sensitive, wearing a "sissy pad" when firing a .308 Winchester with cast boolits at only 1700fps.
    Now as to the trigger, I'll say the pull is way in excess of the 72 ounces that my gauge tops out at. I'd guess the pull weight to be about 8 to 10 pounds! I actually sent this rifle back to Remington to address this trigger issue, and I saw no difference in pull when it was returned. All my .44 mag revolvers have 32 to 48 ounce triggers, and my bench rest guns are about 16 ounces, so maybe the trigger is the problem?
    I will pull the forearm off and see what I can see.
    FWIW my other Marlin leveractions in .30-30 and 444Marlin shoot at least 2" groups at 50 yards and 3" groups at 100, and I'm happy with that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If the trigger is that horrible see the stickies to fix the issue. It can be done without buying aftermarket. many folks here have done this. I had the same problem with my 1895 when the trigger pull was excessive, once I fixed it it all came together.
    miket156 likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Wrangler
    Member #
    Perhaps the bullets aren't crimped tight enough. Fire a round, then measure the COL of remaining cartridges.
    Slugnut and HIKayaker like this.
    "45-70, a weapon of mass destruction" Jeff Cooper. Semper Fi.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    How fast you shooting. Some barrels move as they warm up.
    Team 35 member #31 - Team 45/70 member #70
    Team 30/30 Member #117 - Team 375 member #39
    Team 22 Mag. Member #014 - Team 32 spl #167

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Help me understand something here. Did I understand correctly that you shot jacketed then cast, then jacketed that went haywire. Marlin 1894 in 44 mag have in some cases(read two of mine) been known to have a restriction in the barrel about where the roll stamp was applied. If you shot cast boolits in it then the jacketed you may have a build up of lead that will play HOBB with your jacketed. Also what diameter cast bullet? Marlins vary some and my current 44 uses.432 cast bullets. Hope that helps.
    miket156 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I started out with .432 MP 432-640 unchecked with 7g of Trail Boss powder.
    Some of the boolits keyholed at 50 yards!
    I then went to the Lyman 429215 gas checked with 19.7g of Wc820
    These did not keyhole, but were 3 to 4 inches at 50 yards.

Next I went to 240 Hornady and 23g of H110 As mentioned I got a little better than 1 inch when shot singly and 3 to 4 inches when loaded with a total of 5 in the gun. After that I QUIT!
    Yesterday I found a couple of loose screws and I tightened them all. Waiting now for better weather.
    gunscrewguy and miket156 like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    At the end of the magazine tube, there's a cap. The cap is held on with a screw that has a tail. The tail goes into an indent cut in the bottom of the barrel. Mine was too long and that tail was putting pressure on my barrel. I removed the end cap and cut the spring so 4" protruded out of the magazine tube. My spring from the factory was way too long. Then I filed the tail of the mag cap screw so it didn't contact the barrel. I can see daylight in there now. My Remlin shoots like a house on fire; hot, cold, jacketed, or cast the old girl is a laser beam. As my barrel warms up, POI does not change.

Also, I got better groups when that front barrel band screw was cranked tight, tight, tight. The groups were worse when the barrel band screw was loose. That may vary from rifle to rifle. Got to experiment to see what works best.
    Last edited by rob42049; 10-05-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    1956CJ5, BubbaJon and miket156 like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Wow, Shuz, you just might have helped me recognize some issues I've been chasing for the last 3-4 years with my lever guns. When I started reloading in 2011, my old mentor suggested that I load/shoot one round at a time when bench testing loads, whether just for plain old "safety's sake" to begin with, or evaluating through the chrony and group size. He was thinking more about the possibility of slight bullet set-back (or worse) in the tube causing the loads to be inconsistent. After a few years of that I got a little more confident in my crimps, a bit cocky and probably just more lazy, and started loading five at a time for the chrony tests. At first it was just different loads, but even though there was nothing out of the ordinary with the ES or SD of the 5 shot individual groups the group size was a lot different than I had been previously accustomed to. Shortly later, I ran my old "proven" loads through the chrony, with five loaded, and lo and behold, the group size had magically spread ... I chalked it up to the health issues that were causing a bit of grief, but a couple of other guys that agreed to shoot the tests had the same luck (my guns, five rounds loaded).

For several years either my re-loads, scopes/sights of me personally have getting the blame. It actually just might have been a barrel harmonics issue all this time aggravated by the additional loads in the mag tube. If I can finally get my normal Sunday afternoon range trip in tomorrow, I'll be testing five shot groups of the same loads - one loaded/one shot, five times ..... and five loaded/five shots, one time. It may or may not prove anything, but it would dang sure be magic to me if it did.

jd
    miket156 likes this.
    Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!!

Team 30-30 #939
    Team Rossi #5
    Team Wheelguns #44

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links