Disappointing 1st Outing at the Range
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

Disappointing 1st Outing at the Range

Finally got to the range with the Marlin 1894C. XP Ghost Ring Sights, WWG Loop Lever and trigger. I shot Sellier & Bellot 158gr SP rounds. Here's how it went:

1) Trial shot with sights centered at 30 ft, 3" low and left.
    2) Boosted rear sight up to five full turns (default should be 3 turns according to XS) and fully to the right yielded a day-best sheet of 6 rounds centered horizontally along a 1.5" line, 2.25" inches low, with one dead bull's eye. This was at 50 yards.
    3) The threads on the left set screw on the rear sight stripped...
    4) The WWG set up feeds and spits rounds like the devil with the Marlin factory ejector. The WWG trigger is awesome.

So I'll be calling XS tomorrow for a replacement rear sight and possibly front blade adjustment. And If that doesn't work, maybe my Marlin will join the ranks of the factory returns.

**As a sidebar, I just finished re-barrelling and re-building a 1940 Mossberg 42B 22 with the original Mossberg S100 rear peep sight. It owned the 10 ring and planted one round on the other... ***

Any comments from the 1894C guru's are welcome!
    NRA Member
    1940 Mossberg 42B .22, Mossberg S-100 Peep Sight
    1968 Sako L579 Forester, .308, Leupold 3-9X Scope
    2008 Marlin 1894C, WWG Lever, Trigger, XS Ghost Ring Sights
    2013 Ruger GP-100, .357 Magnum, Blue, 4.2" Barrel, Ruger Wood Insert Grips and Red Insert Front Sight

Sooth Sayer #1 Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Disappointing 1st Outing at the Range

McCain,I dont own a 1894.But the XS sight does real well for my 336 in 35rem.Just started reloading maybe two months ago. These groups are 50 yards.First pic is my first reloads, then I bumped up the powder to 40grs. in the second and left it at that.You did install the front sight didnt you? Know a guy that didnt and had bad results.Only know this one aint coming off. Wish ya luck. Gunrunner,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Member #

Wait I thought you were talking about 30 feet. I think 6 shots in a inch and a half at 50 yards with a sight made to shoot fast with is great myself. Sorry Gunrunner,,

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

Hey Gunrunner, thanks for getting back with me. The first shot was very close, 30 feet just to see how close to center it was with the XS sights. Yes, I bought the matched set from them, front and rear. Front blade is fixed and not adjustable, held on with 2 screws. It still shoots low at 50 yards, so I think the front blade is off. I'll see what they say. The rear sight has to be returned anyway, one of the windages screws stripped. If the next set of sights still requires full right adjustment in the rear to center the pattern, I may send the gun to Marlin unless folks here with more experience can advise.
    NRA Member
    2013 Ruger GP-100, .357 Magnum, Blue, 4.2" Barrel, Ruger Wood Insert Grips and Red Insert Front Sight

Member #

I saw another post last night after I replyed to yours.Think it was peeps or open sights? or something close to that. One was talking abouthow great his 1894 shot with the XS. You might find it on your unread posts,if you havnt read it already.I like The XS alot.Killed alot of deer with one.Hope it works out for ya.Let me know the outcome. Gunrunner,,

Sidewinder
    Member #

I'm dropping the rifle with the smith on Wednesday. It's going back to Marlin. Won't get near center unless the rear sight is all the way right, and still not enough adjustment.
    NRA Member

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I owned an 1894C for a little under a year. I didn't like the way the gun fit me, didn't like the 357 mag in a carbine, and just was never satisfied with the gun. I thought it would be like a little brother to my 35 Remington's and a companion to my 357 revolver. It never worked out for me. I sold it and bought another 35 Remington. Now I feel much better!
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

Sidewinder
    Member #

I actually really like the rifle, it fits and is so quick to the shoulder. I just want one that shoots worth a darn.
    NRA Member

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I can tell you if you are over 6' tall and have long arms, the rifle won't shoulder worth a darn. Straight stocks never did fit me well, maybe if they had one with a pistol grip and full sized stock it might work better. And at least a 20" barrel...wait, I just described my 336 35 Remington!
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

Gunfighter
    Member #

I can never understand why people will take a new rifle they have never fired, change the the factory sights, add other after market new parts, then fire it with ONLY one type of ammunition and then complain it won't shoot!

Future Marlin owners-
    Buy your rifle, clean it, and take it to the range as it came out of the box with 4 or 5 types of ammo.
    Shoot it and find out what ammo it likes. Adjust the factory sights to your liking. Resist the temptation to modify it until you have shot it enough to learn its likes and dislikes. If it does have a problem, you have not voided the warranty and you can easily return it for service.

Later you can change the sights and add all the after market accessories you want.

Hint for installing peep sights: Leave the factory sights on the rifle. They should be sighted in with ammo you intend to use. Mount the rear peep sight and use the factory sights as a guide to align it.
    M.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links