Peep sites over standard sites ?
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Peep sites over standard sites ?

kb [OP]

Member #

Peep sites over standard sites ?

How much better are peep sites over the stock sites on the 1894? My 357 will be used for deer hunting here in NY for 75 yards max.

Thank you,

kb

DWB
    Gun Wizard Distinguished Master
    Member #

Re: Peep sites over standard sites ?

Depending on the aperture that you are shooting with - say for instance, a 0.050" aperture for targets and a 0.093" (or 0.096" - depends on which rear peep you mount) aperture for hunting as examples. Some will use even larger apertures - 0.125" up to 0.150" if they are in the woods where critters with teeth and claws lurk.

For me, using a 0.050" aperture on targets, my rear peep reduced my groups by 1/2 compared to the groups I was getting with the Marlin semi-buckhorn factory rear. Peeps make it easier (for older eyes, in particular) to focus on the front blade - which is where the focus should be anyway, not the target. The eye will tend to center the front post naturally in the peep regardless of minor variances in cheek meld on the stock and so on, so it makes target acquisition pretty easy IMO. Other people may have other opinions, but short of scopes, all my iron sighted rifles (except one) have peeps on the receivers. To me, they are easier to use, quicker to come on target, and (at least, for me) roughly twice as accurate.

Doc Skinner makes a nice peep for the 1894, the lines blend really nice with the rest of the receiver, installation is easy, and the sight is pretty robust. Plus he makes different apertures for them. Check out his web site on the industry partners section.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Great reply DWB ! p
    PeterRocco likes this.
    SSG. US ARMY Republic of Viet Nam 1968-1969 Life Member DAV, VFW, NRA Certified Instructor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

edk
    Deadeye
    Member #

A LYMAN 66 receiver sight will give groups 1/2 the size of the factory open sights on any of my MARLIN Cowboy rifles. (I get the same results for a SUPER BLACKHAWK versus a VAQUERO, with the same ammo.)Put a LYMAN #17 front sight on with the aperture of your choice and the clear yellow plastic insert and your woods hunting will improve dramatically. (Like everyone else, money is a little tight...and I bought some moulds at bargain prices over at castboolits...but I have a couple MARLINS waiting for the LYMAN #66 and #17 upgrade.) The next step up would be a good scope in the 2.5X area, but I just can't get into the idea of a scope on a lever gun....although being 60 and eye problems may change my mind for me!

Member #

Going from 1894 stock sights to Skinners cut my groups more than 1/2. Put on the Skinners and I shot some holes touching groups at 50 yds yesterday evening.

I also fired a 1.4" 100yd group with a Winchester 94 shooting 185gr round nose .311 lead bullets. I had been getting 5-6" groups with the Win94 with factory sights. Installed a Williams foolproof on it & walla!. I like peeps and the Skinners are very good utility/hunting sights that just look right on a Marlin. If they would work on a Winchester top eject I'd have 'em on there too.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

If you can align open sights, then there is no accuracy advantage to an aperture. But as you age, open sights get more and more difficult to align. That's where an aperture shines.
    DecoyNH, Saffa, tinkering and 4 others like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I would say that it depends on how bad your eyesight has gotten... When I was younger, peep sights took more time vs. v-notch & post. Now that I'm old and decrepit, peep sights are my savior.

In either case, peeps are more accurate on paper provided you stick to a particular load (I’m a reloader).
    Saffa and tinkering like this.
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Years ago I read somewhere that the "margin of error" for the human eyes ability to shoot with different sights was:
    Open sights = 4 inches
    Peep sights = 2 inches
    Scope = 1 to 0 inches
    Over the years, I I have found this a good guideline. Usually, a good accurate rifle for me will be about 1.5" or so with a peep. I like a peep far better than open sights. I used a .45 colt CB carbine and a peep to shoot a nice muledeer last year at 75 yds. I used the "Twilights aperture of about .050 I believe. It has a brass insert to gather light. It was " shame on him time", ha. I use the "tip top of the front bead as my aimpoint, that way I can see what it is I want to see, w/o covering it all up.
    P.S. I always wondered what the Corbon 200 hardcast would do in a .357 carbine velocity wise! I have heard the 180 Hard cast is awesome also.
    Genesis 3:21 ...God, the first Furrier.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I use the XS sights on my 1894, I really like em and for quick shots when hunting 50-100 yards they're hard to beat imo, for real target shooting on paper though scope is probably better, just easier to get the exact same sight picture and aim at the same spot every shot, but for me my 1894 isn't about benchresting with crazy accuracy...it's about being able to quickly get away few shots that hits their mark with a few inches give or take.
    RoHoo, tinkering and Tom Foolery like this.
    Team 1894 #156
    Team 30-30 #845
    Team 22 Magnum #051

El Kabong
    Member #

You want my stock sight? I got no use for it.

Ill never take the Williams peep off my 30AS, never.
    “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links