How are Marlin lever action rifles rated?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

How are Marlin lever action rifles rated?

I'm new to the world of Marlins, especially lever actions. I'm curious as to how lever action enthusiasts rate/perceive Marlins. Is the Winchester 94 considered the standard or does it just benefit from being around for a hell of a long time? What about Henry? Mossberg? The others? Now, I'm sure everyone around here is somewhat partial to Marlins, but I'm really curious how enthusiasts of every stripe rate the Marlin lever actions.

Thanks.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Re: How are Marlin lever action rifles rated?

There are plenty of Winchester fans here, but I'm not one of them. Ridiculously over-complicated, hard to scope, hard to clean.

Brownings? I'm not a fan of the way they balance and feel. Some folks like them, but I was corrupted by Marlins a long time ago.

Henry.......eh. They don't float my boat the way the Marlins do. Haven't shot many. But I own one.

Savage 99: I'd like to have a few, but the collectors have driven prices insanely high.

Mossberg........one question. Why bother? It's a Wrenchester with a new ID tag.

Puma and Rossi? Nice guns, but still Winchester-pattern, and hard to scope. I need glass. Were I in my 20's I'd probably get one.

Marlins are easily scoped or Scouted, easy to take down for cleaning, tear down for maintenance, and they look cool. I think my 1894C and M-375 are two of the prettiest guns on the planet. The 1894-CSS will only be more of the same.

But as you said, I'm a bit biased.

"Any black kid from the projects available to shout 'how dare you' about six times in front of the UN? Maybe then these virtue-signaling, good-for-nothing, leftist politicians and celebrities will jump to fix the neighborhoods that have been devastated by their policies." —Candace Owens

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I like the 1886 or 71 better than the marlin 1895.
    the marlin 336 better than the winchester 1894
    the marlin 1894 better than the winchester 92
    the winchester 1895 is very cool!
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #

I like the 92 action, and almost bought (twice)the Browning 53 in 32-20.. loved the action, but the barrel was too thin IMO. Beautiful wood but hated the finish for anything other than hanging on the wall.

Others were supposed to come out with a 32-20 in 92, but never did. Some Rossi and the like have oversize bores for the 44s.

"If Cowboy Action shooters were for real, they would disqualify all calibers except 32-20, 38-40, 44-40 in rifles and 45 colt in pistols."
    Brooks

Sidewinder
    Member #

The first centerfire rifle I fired at age 7 was my late father's pre WWII Winchester 94 in 30-30. I own that gun today, but seldom shoot it because I don't like the way the bottom drops out when the action is worked.

Two of my favorite leverguns are the Winchester 1886 and the 1892, because the actions are essentially the same (some minor differences, but in general they are identical in basic concept) and they are exceptionally smooth-operating. I have a Browning Grade I 1886 Rifle in 45-70, and a Winchester 1886 Extra Light in 45-70, both Miroku repros. I have two Browning B92s, one each in 357 and 44. I shoot all four pretty frequently, the 44 Mag B92 less so.

I own a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 because I wanted one, and I like it, but I don't like the way it spills its guts when the action is opened.

I also own a Savage 99E in 308 from the 1980s just before they stopped production, and I bought it because I wanted one and both the chambering and price were right. I don't shoot it much.

I have the following Marlins:

1895CB 45-70
    1895SDT 45-70
    336 "Texan" 30-30
    336 Marauder 30-30
    336SDT 30-30
    1894CB, 24" 45 Colt
    1894CB, 20" 45 Colt
    1894 Limited, 16" 45 Colt
    1894CB, 24" 44 Mag
    1894SS Limited, 16" 44 Mag
    1894CB, 24" 357
    1894C, 18" 357
    1894CL, 20" 32-20 with half-mag
    1894CCL, 20" octagon 32-20
    39M Mountie carbines (two)
    39TDS 16"
    39A Rifle 24"

Yeah, I like leverguns. And I especially like Marlins.

My preference for Marlins is the smoothness and strength of the actions. I like the slim, uncheckered wood on some of the older guns and some of the CBs. Not a fan of checkered stocks, and not a fan of phat wide forends that feel more at home on a Ruger 10/22 factory wood stock. On second thought, those stocks don't feel right in any event.

Noah

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hard question . . . I find the aesthetics (shape, feel, looks) of both the Marlin and Winchester '94's very appealing, BUT think the Marlin is a slightly better design mechanically speaking.

The other makes/models you mention just don't do anything for me.

fk
    Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I like the quality of Marlins over Winchesters, they both look nice. Just the feel of the Marlins vs the Winchester in your hands will sure tell the difference for you.

"fk"
    NRA Life Member
    US Army Veteran
    Team 32 Special #13 (little scary huh)

Wrangler
    New Jersey, just a wee bit east of the Watergap
    Member #

I have a Winchester 30-30 trapper. Almost perfect. I love it.

However, I have huge glock 21 sizes hands. The wood forestock of the winchester is just a wee bit thin, compared to the marlins. My marlin guide gun's forestock is perfect. So is that of the 36, which is why I am currently in the market for one.
    rooikat - Member# 233
    Team .444

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

From what I can tell, just about any Marlin or Winchester made before 1964 is of very good quality. The Marlin quality stayed good after 1964, the Winchester was hit or miss there for a few decades. I have seen and handled a few Winchester 94s from the 1970s that are just plain awful. The finish flakes off the receiver, there is a ton of slop in the action and the triggers were just plain bad. That being said, some of the last 94s they made seemed to be of much better quaility. I have not handled the Mossberg, but there is nothing about it that appeals to me. The Henrys I have handled are HEAVY and did not appeal to my eye either. They were smooth though.

The Browning/Miroku reproductions of the 1892 and 1886 Win are wonderfully made. I have owned just about every configuration of them over the years. Their fit and finish is first rate and they are usually good shooters. That being said, their triggers are often very heavy and they are just a little too fancy for me to drag through the briars and laurel thickets. That leaves the Marlin and Savage 99. These are my two favorite leverguns. Marlins are no nonsense rifles at a decent price. They are accurate, dependable and good looking without being too ornate or fancy. The Savage 99 is much the same, but capable of chambering some of the longer range cartridges. If I could only keep two centerfire rifles they would be my 1979 Marlin 1895 45-70 w/Williams FP receiver sight and my 1957 Savage 99 Featherweight 300 Savage with Weaver V4.5 scope.

El Kabong
    Member #

There is a article somewhere about the 10 best leverguns.

Marlin 336 in number 2.

Ill bet my life on mine
    “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links