How are Marlin lever action rifles rated? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: How are Marlin lever action rifles rated?

Marlin is the best, I was a Winchester man for may years until my good buddy schooled me on why I was wrong. The Winchesters are great rifles... just not as stout, and simple, and as easy to scope... have two lever guns, both are Marlins.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants..."
    -Jefferson

Sidewinder
    Member #

I prefer Marlins for three reasons: strength of the action, easy to scope, and smoothness of the action. I have never cared for the look of the non traditonal styled lever actions like the Browning and Savage. The Marlin action seemed smoother and easier to manipulate than all of the Winchester patterned rifles I ever tried.
    39A Golden Lever
    1894 Carbine .357
    1894 Octagon .44
    375 .375
    336A .30-30

Distinguished Master
    Member #

We've got two leverguns in 357 around here. A Marlin 1894C and a Navy Arms Win 1892 clone with a heavy 24" barrel. Just shooting with open sights, the 1892 clone is more accurate. But the 1894C has a scope on it and is more accurate using the glass. As far as working the action, the Marlin is a lot more smoother, but then it's a 1982 vintage and has taken a lot of deer where the 1892 clone was new in 99 and never was used that much (other than a few hogs) as I got my 1894D in 44-40 and started using it instead.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #

The quality on the Wnchesters varies alot. When you handle a good one you will know it. I've got a fairly new trapper in 30-30, angle eject, no safety, rebounding hammer. It is an excellent rifle. Wood to metal fit is great, trigger is very good for any lever gun even with the rebounding hammer. The forearm fit is nice and tight. It shoots very well, mounts a scope, or a receiver sight no problem. The forearm on my 1894C 357 looks like it was cut off with a hacksaw, and I love this rifle, it will keep every round fired in a 3" circle at 100 yds anytime you want to shoot it. But they work different, kinda like a colt DA and a Smith DA. You can do good shooting with either but people usually stick to one or the other. The hard thing to get used to with the Winchester is that last hard spot just before the lever is fully open, when it feeds the next round from the tube to the receiver. Its easy to short stroke if your used to shooting Marlins. And when you go back to Marlins you find yourself slamming the lever open anticipating that hard spot that isn't there on the Marlins. However I love the Marlins for the simplicity of the design, the more I work on them the more I like them. I won't disassemble a winchester 94, I think John must have had a brain fart or something when he thought up that design. The most amazing thing to me is how different two supposedly identical Marlins can be. My 1894 357 is very smooth and quick and feeds everything even 38's. My 1894 44 mag is rougher and balks with ammo it doesn't like and sometimes with ammo it does. I wouldn't consider it for a defensive gun but the 357 I'd trust my life too. I have four 336's, 30-30, 35, 375 and 444. They are all different. The 35 is the best mechanically maybe because it a 1951, the 444 is probably the most accurate but not as smooth. I would look for smoothness and function over condition no matter what the age.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

First I have to say that I have had two leverguns of my own. A little Henry 22 lr. and an 1894fg 41 mag.

I have heard a lot about Winchester over the years, and some about Marlins. The thing I always heard most was Winchester has a stronger action and I am NOT an expert on the subject but that is probably correct.

The thing I have to ask is, if I can kill anything I want to kill with my Marlin using reloads or factory ammo, and last for generations, why dose it matter if the Winchester is stronger ?

I like my Marlin and if I had a Winchester I would most likely like it too, but finding a winny in the cal. I want now for a decent price is unlikely.

My Marlin can easily accept a scope or top mount reciever sight, My Marlin is easy to disassemble, clean, insp.,work on and reassemble, My Marlin is the best looking rifle I have seen in my life.

I would rate my Marlin best in my book, and worth more than what I payed for it. I would say I am a real happy Marlin owner.

"Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one" talking about a gun; John Wayne

NRA member
    Marlin 1894FG 41 mag, 1894CL 218 Bee, 39a, 882ss, Model 20 pump
    Ruger BH 41 mag.

Member #

Go to any Cowboy action event and ask the shooters. Henry and Mossberg are not even contenders. Some Win 94's are in use but they just do not wear like a Marlin. Some of the CAS's run 10-20k rounds through their guns in a year. They know what holds up and what doesn't. There are also more web resources dealing with Marlins than the rest combined. Could be that there are more of them in use by people who shoot a lot! Google Marlin tune up and you will get many gunsmiths who specialize in turning your Marlin into a "race gun". I haven't found one that spends a lot of time on Win 94, Henrys, or Mossbergs.

Member #

From what I can tell, just about any Marlin or Winchester made before 1964 is of very good quality. The Marlin quality stayed good after 1964, the Winchester was hit or miss there for a few decades.

I basically go along with this thought. Winchester went through some hard times for a while and their product was very suspect to say the least.

Now that I have three Marlins, in three different calibers, I'll stick with them over any Winchester lever.

Kansas: Keeping America safe from Missouri since 1854.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links