Anybody shoot .44 specials, and........
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

Anybody shoot .44 specials, and........

what exactly is a .44 special? Don't mean to be ignorant, just a newbie with a 1894 .44.
    1894 .44 Magnum - No Bullseye

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: Anybody shoot .44 specials, and........

Hi, I am a year long reader on this board. I have been needing to sign up, so this question was my excuse. Hi everyone!

The 44 Special is to the 44 Magnum much like the 38 Special is to the 357 Magnum. In these cases the "Specials" came around first. As metallurgy and powders improved, firearms of the same chambering were able to handle more powerful loads. In order to keep these loads from damaging weaker older guns the cases were lengthened so as to fit only new makes of proper safety margins. There is slightly more to it than this but this is it in a nutshell.

The 44 Special was used by a legend in the firearms world. This man was Elmer Keith (Google his name and do some reading, it is worth it!). He hot loaded the 44 special and did amazing things with it. He is responsible for us having the 44 Magnum.

For you as a Marlin 1894 owner it means that you can safely shot Specials in your firearm when you want less noise, power, and recoil. These are really nice so you can distinguish which rounds you might use for a given purpose. You might use 44 Magnum rounds for hunting and 44 Specials for "fun" shooting at cans, targets, and small game hunting. 44 Specials also are great training rounds as you don't have the load blast and sharp recoil with these.

If you shot lots of Specials be sure to scrub your chamber to remove any fowling before using Magnums, as you can experience feed problems with the longer magnums otherwise.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks actiondiver for the great reply! I'll have to check out Elmer Keith also.

Again thanks.
    1894 .44 Magnum - No Bullseye

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I shoot 44 sp in some of my handguns, and I am thinking of loading some for my 1894P. It has a gaining popularity among reloaders, try to buy some brass. I bought the 1894P for a possible hog gun back up. I also thought my grandson would be able to shoot it. I have been a shooter for over 35 yrs, I put that rifle on the bench to dial in receiver sights and what a surprise I got. 240, bullets factory bullets will make your eyes water, nose run, ass pucker and general hurt. I have heard that Grey Beards wife shoots it with no problem, he has since recanted. I think 44 sp is a great option. I am loading 200-240 lead bullets, under 1100 fps.
    Jim

Tinhorn
    Member #

I carry a .44 special just about everyday stuffed down my shorts.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Most Marlin 1894's will shoot the shorter 44 Specials just fine, others are more finicky and will choke on them. One cure for this is loading longer bullets, so they fit the carrier better. There are probably more different cast bullets available in 44 caliber (.429 inches) than any other pistol caliber. That gives you a lot of leeway, even if you don't cast your own. There are lots of commercial bullet casters out there, I happen to like the goods from Stonefence, one of our Marlin Industry Partners. You can go here,

[email protected]

or here

https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,23820.0.html

for more info on the company and the products offered.

And since someone posted a photo of a 44 Special handgun, I can't let the chance pass to show you mine................

One of the best reasons for owning a handgun like this is that it gives you an excuse to go buy a Matching MARLIN as a companion gun!

Papajohn
    "The highest coronavirus numbers, the worst police brutality cases and the most violent riots have been in Democrat-run cities. That's just a fact." —Allie Beth Stuckey

"Democrats, from top to bottom, are running the cities with the worst police brutality in America right now. We voted for them." —BLM activist Shaun King

Sidewinder
    Member #

The .44 Special is nice if you happen to have a S&W 329PD

This light weight .44 magnum revolver brings tears to my eyes when I shoot a cylinder of full house .44 magnum rounds, rounds that are not a problem shooting with my S&W 629 Classic 6-1/2" Powerported revolver.

I really like the Marlin 1894 SS because I can carry it, whether I carry the S&W 329PD, or the 629 Classic with me into the outback. It works just fine with either the .44 Specials, or the .44 magnums.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Just a question for someone. Since some are saying that the brass of the 44 sp is shorter and may cause feed problems, what's to stop loading 44mag brass to 44 special velocities and loads? I don't know, that's why I ask.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Aussie, that's exactly what I recommend to anyone with a balky rifle that doesn't like shorter rounds. It works for the 44 just like it works for the 357. And since you're not shooting shorter ammo in a longer chamber, there's no crud buildup to worry about. Of course, if your handgun is a 44 Special, your options are more limited. But I like the 44 Special, so it's worth it to me. My rifle and pistol don't like the same ammo, so it's kind of a moot point, but in a pinch I can use the 44 Specials in either gun. Light Specials in a rifle make wonderful small game loads, once you understand the difference in the point of impact.

PJ
    "The highest coronavirus numbers, the worst police brutality cases and the most violent riots have been in Democrat-run cities. That's just a fact." —Allie Beth Stuckey

"Democrats, from top to bottom, are running the cities with the worst police brutality in America right now. We voted for them." —BLM activist Shaun King

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I'e never tried the 44 Special in my 1894S. This was the first rifle with HBS that I added to my collection and I only did because it had some really nice wood. Anyway, I bought it used and the previous owner had scoped it. I remember that I thought it kicked like a mule the first time I took it out shooting. It seemed like the muzzle would jump real high with each shot and I'd lose sight of the target. I was ready to sell it off and I was telling someone about it and he suggested taking the scope off and see how it shoots without it. Well I did and what a difference! It was now a sweet shooting rifle that I had lots of fun shooting. I never did try 44 Specials in it as it left the collection when I bought a 1894S that had been modified into a takedown. I haven't shot it yet, but that's one of my New Years resolutions...
    Team 39 #36
    Team Express #17
    Team 35 #175
    Team 45-70 #392
    Team 1894 #128

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links