1894 Cowboy II in 44 mag, leading issues and accuracy problems. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 1894 Cowboy II in 44 mag, leading issues and accuracy problems.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I have a rossi r92 44 mag. when I first got it, I should have sent it back. but I like to do thing the hard way I guess, any way it shot bad, with jacketed, terrible with lead. the bore was rough tool marks etc. well jb paste. elbow grease. the bore cleaned up. shiney jacketed great lead just fine very little to no leading, while I was at it I smoothed the action. linseed oil finish on the stock. that gun has thousands of rounds through it. I carry it often. at 3 yrs old 60% of the bluing on the receiver is gone. its one of my favorites . funny a gun most folks would have sent back.
    Last edited by 94win30wcf; 01-24-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    Vooch likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The LBT measuring slug will allow you to feel any restrictions. With the LBT slugs, you can check the muzzle diameter, then run it through the bore and see if it comes out smaller. I would try this with your slugs if possible. Since you already know how it come out you only need to check the muzzle.

It sounds like firelapping will be the way to go. If there is a restriction ahead of the chamber, this will iron it out.
    94win30wcf likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Sounds like great advice to me 94win and Ironhead, thanks again for your help.

Barr.
    msharley likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Cool 1894 cb

Hey B,

Have had no leading issues in mine.

However, am using 7.5gr Universal Clays with a 240gr LSWC (commercially cast) and a WLP. 1150 fps from my 24" CB.

Sincerely hope you get your leading issues resolved.

Later, Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Waiting to be banned....

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    good luck. take your time. it will work out. if possible let us know

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Barrgeo,
    Welcome from W. Michigan. Wish I could be of some help, but it appears you already know more about cast bullets than me. Just wanted to say how great your bullets look and the rifle, too. I will just hang around and try to learn something here!
    Barrgeo likes this.
    Jim
    Team 45/70 #456
    Team 35 #293
    Team 32 Special #99
    Team 375 #11

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Not sure this solves the problem but...043.JPG I have never lubed a bullet nor leaded a barrel. Not sure how hard Powder Coating material is to come by, but might be worth a try
    msharley likes this.
    Jim
    God Bless
    Bitzi Zha

Team 30-30 #975 ,Team 32 Special #95 ,Marlin League #174 ,Team Browning #15 ,Team 35 #536 ,Team 1894 #386
    Team 444 # 659 ,Team Old Pharts 232 ,Team Camp , Team Henry #61

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Do you have a bore scope? I'm curious if you are able to see where the leading starts. Is it possible there is a region of the barrel that is slightly oversized and lets the gases by? Slugging your bore would miss this, I would think, as the slug is swaged by the narrowest diameter.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks very much guys. I'm headed into town in a couple of days and will look for some Universal, and also 4227 powders. Powders are becoming VERY hard to get up here, and our selection is limited. As for the leading, it seems to take place most heavily just after the throat, and continues down the bore as smears. My suspicion at this point is that I have a constriction just after the chamber, so I'm going to try and hand lap, or fire lap the bore.

Again, thanks for all the advice, I was ready to give up but now I've got renewed determination.

msharley, I really wish my LGS had the 24" model when I bought my cowboy, that one you have is fantastic!

Barr.
    msharley likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Progress report on fire lapping.

After getting the 3rd bullet stuck, I started cleaning between each shot instead of every 5. I was using my 284gr bullet, well impregnated with Permatex valve grinding compound, and put in the case with a small patch of toilet paper(to protect the powder and take a little space), over a small charge of trail boss, 3 gr. I seated the bullets completely in the cases which were once fired and not resized. Seating the bullets after they were coated in grit was not easy at all. After a very slow session, I fired all of the 25 lapping rounds. I cleaned the bore thoroughly, and then at 25 yards stacked 3 Winchester white box rounds with the iron sights. Not the best test, but showed promise.... Until I looked down the bore. Extensive copper fowling after only 3 shots. On both lands and grooves, visible while looking down the muzzle.

So I came back home, and got the soft slug I used to slug the bore, completely cleaned the gun, and then pushed the slug in the bore, at the muzzle and started to push it by hand. The first 3" at the muzzle was a pretty tight fit, then the slug moved freely for about 5", and again encountered friction, loosened up after about an inch, and pushed freely until about 1.5" from the chamber and again had a lot of friction. I pushed the same slug (lining it up each time with the lands) and got the same result 5 more passes through the barrel. So I still have multiple constrictions, which means I will load up 50 firelapping rounds, and test the bore every 10. I was hoping the initial 25 would be more than enough, but it seems it barely achieved anything.

If anyone has any other insights, let me know. Otherwise I'll do some more fire lapping and repost. I will use 3.5 gr of T.Boss so that I can fire 5 round strings without the fear of a bullet getting stuck. I didn't even bother loading up some cast rounds to test, as I expect I will have the same result as when I first started.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
    Barr
    msharley likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links