The Right Scope for 1894C .357s
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The Right Scope for 1894C .357s

Banned
    Member #

The Right Scope for 1894C .357s

I'm thinking about at least one scope for the group of 1894s that have fallen into my lap recently.

I know it should be small.

Thinking of the Weaver V3 (1X3 power) because the price is decent and these latest Weavers seem to be of excellent quality.

What have others found?
    unclesarge58 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Just my humble opinion...Unless your vision prevents you from using open or peep sights the PERFECT scope is sitting on a shelf or on one of your longer range guns. I'm speaking aesthetically and handling wise. If I had to scope an 1894 your choice of a low power model is a sound one. Mounted as low to the bore centerline the better, Weaver style rings and lowest bases. With the Weaver style rings the scope can quickly be removed is needed/desired and re installed to as close to original zero as possible. The NATO Picatinny Rail was base on Weaver's classic design and is somewhat interchangeable. I would want a coarse reticle for fast target acquisition and low light conditions. AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 04-05-2015 at 01:09 PM.
    Der Verminator likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Leupold 1-4x20mm Heavy Duplex scope will cover any situation within the range of the 1894/357 or 1894/44.
    In low light conditions those heavy posts stand out really well but don't crowd out the target image in normal lighting conditions.
    That's what I got on my 1894/44.
    Der Verminator and kenrose like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Nikon 1-4x Monarch 3 (German #4 Reticle)..............................you can get these brand new for around $275.00 and they are well worth the money.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    +1 on the Weaver V3.
    $189.49 Shipped at Opticsplanet.com: Weaver V-3 1-3x20mm Matte Black Dual-X Hunting Rifle Scope FREE S&H 849400. Weaver Rifle Scopes.
    Have had one on my 1894CS for Years.
    One of Several Weavers I own that will Never See another Rifle.
    It's on there "to Stay" because it Fits "Just Right"
    Bright, Crystal Clear, Low Profile, Wide View & Just the Right Magnification.
    Besides Weavers & Marlins "Go Together Like Peas & Carrots"
    UncleSarge58
    It Seems to Me that A Fully Loaded Lever Gun w/ a Short Barrel & Heavy Boolits Will Be Very Handy when the Fecal Matter Hits the Rotary Air Moving Device.
    US Army SGT 76-80 & USAR Drill SGT 87-91
    74, 336RC : .30-30AI / JM / MG / Weaver 3-9 X 40 w/ 17.5in. Barrel & Muleman Hunter Loop.
    84, 1894CS : .357Mag / JM / MG / Weaver 1-3 X 20 w/ Safety Delete & Custom Mule Loop.
    97, MR-7 : .270WIN / JM / 6G / Vortex 4-12 X 44 / NRA Medallion / Fancy Walnut Stock w/ Matte Finish.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Think I would go on line and pick up an older Redfield Wideveiw 2.5X, or 1.5x5, the gloss blue/black will match the rifle nicely.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Banned
    Member #
    Amazing. Five good answers. All wise.

I find that I agree with all five of you.

Leupold is legendary and clearly my number one choice.......but they are so expensive and have gone even higher recently.

Most of my scopes now are Nikon and I like them.

And that the unscoped 94 is far handier than scoped cannot be denied.

But it is true that my eyes are not what they used to be.......

And the Weaver? Well, that's what I was thinking.

I can get the Weaver for $175 total on Amazon and the reviews are pretty spectacular.

So far I'm still leaning that way, but any info on more scopes is appreciated.

And I am going to check e-Bay to see what the used Redfields go for.

Banned
    Member #
    Mueller 1-4x20 on mine. It does not have crosshairs - it has a 4min red dot that you can turn up or down. I usually leave it off and just use the black dot...save the battery for dark shots. The scope is 30mm and super bright, I like it better than I did the Leupold 1x4 or the Weaver 1-3 because it so bright.

But in all honesty I seldom use a scope on my 1894CL - I prefer a Williams receiver sight and the Mueller spends most of its time on the 39a.

Michael

Banned
    Member #
    Shooting is not a cheap sport and I don't go cheap on optics especially with these old eyes of mine that haven't done much else but hold up my eyebrows for the past 10 years or so.
    I must own 2 dozen Leupolds.
    I'll use the Trophy and Legend class Bushnells on 22LR rifles but that's as junky as it gets when it comes to optics.

A few years ago a hunting friend of mine turned up with a really nice Belgium BLR in 308 Win and was complaining that the best he could get was pie plate accuracy with it at 100 yards.
    Good thing I always bring my gun tool kit to hunt camp and a spare scope or two because of Murphys law which says that something will break at the most inconvenient time or when you're furthest from home.
    He was using the greenbox 150 grain CLs and the ammo was in good condition.
    I checked everything over and noticed that when I shook the rifle a rattle came from the junk Tasco scope he had mounted on the rifle.
    Without even shooting the rifle I told him that I had the solution and switched out the junker optic for my spare Leupold 2-7x33mm scope.
    We went into a little gravel borrow pit behind the camp and I paced off a rough 100 yds & sighted the rifle in over the hood of the truck using my briefcase and a folded hunting vest for support and a cardboard box with a magic markered black circle as a make-do target.
    Even using that jury-rigged set up there wasn't a single 3-shot group I made with that rifle and off the shelf ammo that went over 1.5 inches and he still had a box and a half of shells left to hunt with.
    One thing I learned from hard experience is you don't bet an expensive hunt on junk glass.
    Why would he insult that beautiful old firearm by mounting that piece of junk on it?
    Der Verminator and Boris like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I've always felt that you probably need to spend as much on your optics as the gun itself. That doesn't mean that a less expensive optic won't do it it just means that you get what you pay for almost every time.
    Team Old Pharts #273
    Team Winchester #64
    Marlin League #206
    Team Browning #82
    Team Biker #66

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links