• 1 Post By Chapnelson
  • 1 Post By Eli Chaps
  • 1 Post By gutshot
  • 1 Post By JBledsoe

Thread: Dye-ing a Stock?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Dye-ing a Stock?

Planning to refinish a birch stock on a 30AS, but thinking I might take the opportunity to dye it a different color ... but not a wood tone like cherry or walnut. I was thinking more of a gray or ash effect, like weathered wood. I'd like to bring out as much grain as possible as well, so I'm not wanting to paint or dip it. Any suggestions? I've read some examples where someone used RIT dye to make a laminate-like effect.

S/F, Chaps
    dustyvarmint likes this.
    Live justly, love mercy, walk humbly before your God.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    MO Member Centaur 1 has a good bit of experience with dye process. Search the forum for his posts and maybe send him a PM.

You might also click the 2nd line in my signature and scroll down until you find the link to an MO post on ebonizing the stock. Just another option you might want to consider. Not sure how much you can play with the process to alter the darkness but I would think it is possible.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I hadn't seen the ebonizing result before, that is definitely pretty! If I can't figure out how to produce a light charcoal effect, I may go with ebonizing.
    Thanks for the links!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I refinished a 30-06 about 20+ years ago and changed it to a tan (not wood stain but you can use stain if you want) but letting the grain pattern show.
    I used a "paint tinting" (test to assure it dissolves in the mixture) added to a mixture of linseed oil and varathane. Prior to finishing I sanded it smooth, wiped with water to raise the grain, let dry overnight and resanded it until virtually no grain lifted to sand off. When I applied the mixture I warmed it (CAREFULLY and SLOWLY) in a "DOUBLE BOILER" "OUTSIDE".
    Once heated I used a clean non-linting rag to hard rub it into the wood. This forced the varathane, color and oils deep into the wood. The oil leaves soft voids in the deeply penetrated wood. Let dry overnight and lightly sand any raised grain and reapply which allows more to penetrate. continue as much as you like I used 6 applications. A friend dropped this rifle from a tree stand approx. 30 ft. It landed on a downed tree that was still hard and it left no mark what so ever. It remains unmarked still and has had its fair share of hits and scrapes.
    Just a note from some personal experience.
    Hope not too much info for here.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thank you very much, I'll look up tint. I refinished a Remington 512X using that same method you described above, minus the tint and used my hands to rub it in, probably 22 years ago and it still looks like I just finished it.

Site Contributor Cowpoke
    Member #
    Clorox Bleach is what I use to blond wood,rinse it off and let it dry "naturally" reapply till your happy with the color.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Clorox Bleach is what I use to blond wood,rinse it off and let it dry "naturally" reapply till your happy with the color.
    How does the grain hold up with bleaching? Is there a way to increase the contrast of the grain this way? I'm wondering if I tinted over bleached birch if I'd get a stronger grain in the result.

Site Contributor Cowpoke
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapnelson View Post
    How does the grain hold up with bleaching? Is there a way to increase the contrast of the grain this way? I'm wondering if I tinted over bleached birch if I'd get a stronger grain in the result.
    When we wet wood we must lightly sand the whiskers off.To increase contrast I use a Propane Torch,but "don't" burn into the wood,just heat till the grain starts to show.,
    Chapnelson likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have been using Analine Dye on gun stocks for years. It is available at any Woodcraft or woodworking shop that sells woodworking supplies. It works great but a little goes a long way, use it sparingly.
    Chapnelson likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links