+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Winchester .375 Rifle and lack of ammo available

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Cool Winchester .375 Rifle and lack of ammo available

I know a guy that has a Winchester .375 lever rifle for sale. He says he bought it in 1980 (new) and fired no more than two boxes of rounds through it. Got a deer with it and just about blew it away. He started using a smaller calibre rifle for deer hunting and put the .375 away in a gun case. There it sits.

The only major commericial ammo that is available in that calibre is from Winchester, 200 grain. Apparently, they only produce it once or twice a year and I've never seen it available on Internet sites and never in local gun shops.

At my age, I don't want to attempt re-loading myself and I'm afraid if I bought this rifle, it would sit and draw dust, as it is now. I am not really interested in collecting, I'm interested in shooting it. Right now I own a Winchester Model 94 30-30 Pre 64 that is a totally awesome rifle, the action works like a clock. That calibre is a bit too small for Elk or Bear. I would like a big bore but it would have to be something I can buy commercial ammo without going through too much trouble. I am not rich and cannot afford to buy something I cannot use. I believe this rifle is in like new condition, but if I can't fire it, it might be a door stop. Hmm........

Any insight you folks can offer would be appreciated.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Buy it if you can get a deal on it. Then sell or trade it for a 45-70. You will make a small profit and maybe enought for 100 rounds of ammo.

That's my advice.
    JBledsoe likes this.
    Guns don't kill people, gun free zones kill people.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Or find a buddy who will load 375 for you and stock up a supply. folks will often load for friends and usually in trade for components.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    If you could give us an idea of what he wants for it, it might help in an opinion. The prices on both Winchester & Marlins in .375 have continued to rise and I feel a mint rifle of either make can be a decent investment as well as being a great rifle to hunt with. It is difficult to find ammo online, but you might be surprised to see how many LGS have a box or three laying around. I know a GS I frequent has two boxes of Win 200gr right now, but I'm waiting for a supplier I've used before to get some 220gr loads ready to ship.

Since you also own a nice 30-30, you can shoot it with it's easy to find ammo and use your .375 strictly for hunting. Three or four boxes of ammo can go a long way when only using a rifle to hunt and a few shots to check zero, especially when you also shoot another rifle nearly identical in build & feel for most of your practice. If the price is right and you like the rifle, I say go for it!!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    336ER:

He is asking somewhere between $700 and $750. We have not determined an exact price. I will see him next week and he will have the rifle with him for me to check out.

Great advice so far guys, I am grateful. If anyone else knows anything, don't be shy. You folks have a wealth of knowledge that I do not.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Mikewood:

I do know another guy that rolls his own. I don't know if what is needed to make me .357 is readily available. .375 anything is hard to find. Although that's a good suggestion. Hmm....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Does he have ammo to sweeten the pot?
    It's a fair deal but a few boxes will make it nice.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    One more thing to consider is if that .375 BB allows for scope mounting and if you prefer hunting with a scoped rifle. I am reasonably sure that the .375 BB was made in both top eject and AE models. For me, anyway, that would/could be a deal breaker.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Mikewood:

He said that he probably has a box of ammo in his stash, probably a open box. He didn't get a lot of it, he was just a kid when his father bought him the rifle.

336ER:

He said he has a scope for it, obviously a side mount. He said it was a "cheap scope". Not a big deal maker-breaker, I would gather some $$$ down the road and get a Lupold anyway.
    336ER likes this.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    When those 375 angle ejects came out, they were kind of an answer to a question, that no one really asked. I dont ever recall seeing them in anything but the AE version, but possibly. The AE was one of the bigger better deals on that series of Winchesters at the time.

That ammo is hard to find, is YOUR advantage, if you really want the gun, but you have to convince him that he has an anchor in hand, and needs to come way down on the price, for the ammo issue alone. And you wont be exaggerating very far at that.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links