+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Birds pulling up corn Sprouts.

Deadeye
    Member #

Birds pulling up corn Sprouts.

Well this year i decided to put in a bit of corn (about 20 yards x 30 yards) and now that the seeds are sprouting the birds have gone through and pulled up every little blade of corn, either by pulling the roots and all out or more frequently clipping the sprouts from the ground. And the thing that makes me mad most is that the birds dont even eat the corn plants they pull out, they just leave them in the dirt . Its so frustrating to see all my work go down the drain. So my question is for next year when i plant corn how do i prevent this from happening. since this crop has all gone to the birds

I have thought about maybe Mulching with grass clippings, or putting up a scare crow. If that dont work i will pull out the shotgun and blast every one of those darned birds.

P.S. I am an organic gardener and dont want to use pesticides or anything of the sort.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Birds pulling up corn Sprouts.

Not to late yet to plant sweet corn. Don't know what to tell you about the birds except they are after the grain and not the plant itself.

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by georgeky
    Not to late yet to plant sweet corn. Don't know what to tell you about the birds except they are after the grain and not the plant itself.
    What do the "Large scale" Farmers do to keep birds out?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Jason Trice, My name is Marla. In the northeastern states people will put netting over trees or any other crop they want to keep birds out of. Here in NE Florida they do it too. They throw it over the plants, bushes and trees and tie it at the bottom so it doesn't come off. Similar to the way they trap birds in Africa. Hope this helps you.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Shoot birds, clean birds, make gumbo out of birds! lol But seriously here (in PA) on the farm we used to put out piles of shelled corn for the birds/pheasants to eat so they would leave the plants alone. Also many farmers plant thickly enough to take care of bird predation of seedlings.

Tom

Deadeye
    Member #

thank you Marla and Tom I appreciate your answers and will most likely use that netting idea. At least until the plants are big enough for the birds not to pull up.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I know that this info doesn't address your problem, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway;it's something that I plan on doing next year when I add some more raised beds to my small garden.

http://www.nativetech.org/cornhusk/threesisters.html

Team 22 Magnum ! #008

Deadeye
    Member #

Well actually Grandpa52 i did just that this year, all along the furrows where i drop corn i also dropped a bean and then did squash every 4-5feet. But the birds pelled up every stalk of corn and 1/4 of my beans, but no squash.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Them darn birds!! I have two apple trees in my yard and every year when the apples start turning red, the Blue Jays will peck out the red area... ! This year I bought some flash tape which is supposed to scare the birds away ( I still see a Blue Jay occasionally land in the trees ), and I also bought an owl figure which is cut out of a waterproof material and is also covered with the flash tape stuff. I mounted the owl on a long stick and have it sticking out above one of the trees. The owl is hanging by a string so it can move with the air currents and flash just like the tape. The apple trees are really loaded with apples this year and I sure don't want to lose most of my apples to Blue Jays...and to squirrels. I would prefer not to have to resort to a pellet rifle, but I'll just have to see how it goes once the apples start to turn red.

Netting seems to be the best way to go with your situation.
    Team 22 Magnum ! #008

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Blue Jays are close kin to crows,they are smart and long lived (12-15 yrs).One of the best deterrants I'v ever seen for crows and jays is to hang a couple of their dead brothers by a string from a tree branch or fence.This may not be legal in all areas and don't seem to help at all with starlings or grackles.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links