Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New magazine - American Frontiersman

16K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  BUBSDAD 
#1 ·
I just picked up the premier issue of a new magazine called American Frontiersman. It is put out by Harris Publications Inc and has the cover price of $9.95. Good articles, featuring 128 pages. I picked it up at Wegmans grocery store which is odd because it was the first time I was there and would not have expected the nice selection of gun mags there.

#3 ·
I read backwoodsman quite a bit, I'd loe to see this one. Maybe my local WalMarts will have it. they do carry FFG which I always find cool..
$10 might be worth it providing it's good and not just full of advertisments. I'm sick and tired of being marketed too on a minute by minute basis.

#6 ·
I also get backwoodsman mag, have for 10 or so years, and love it Gonna have to look for this new one and check it out. DP

#7 ·
Wasen't the Nov-Dec issue great? Some good articles

#8 ·
On the cover of that magazine the hunter is wearing a red coat, isn't that a big no no for turkey hunting? Red, white and blue make you a target.

Reactions: Armyrecon
#17 ·
Hey shooter. The coat is called a capote and was made out of either hudson bay or witney point blankets between 1770 and 1850. They were typically seen during the fur trade era between 1820-1840 out west. Often the were traded to indians for beaver pelts and the number of lines on the blanket (called points) represented the number of pelts they would trade for. The colors were typically red, with black stripe, green with black stripe, tan with either black or brown stripe and white with navy ble stripe. They also had a candy striped blanket. The wool coats were warm and were usually worn after the hunt and not during. The picture on the cover is actually a painting by Paul Calle who does some great artwork if you are looking for frontier art for your cabin.

Aside from my history lesson on capotes... there wasnt one article that stood out, rather the progression of articles. There were 44 articles! Hide tanning, butchering, building a canoe, camp tools, trapping, homesteading, digging a water well, angling, tin cooking, field dressing, squirrel recipe, bear rug making, home made bear lure, deer heart cooking, kentucky rifle kits, civil war replicas, davy crockett, long bow, distress signals, bugout kits, mountain man medicine, and more!

#9 ·
Thanks for the heads up! I'll look for it araound here.

Backwoodsman. Yep! I read the stories not the ads. Gotta renew my subscription next year.

#10 ·
There are some small game cleaning articles in that premier issue that were well written! The articles are short, but cover lots of issues with cleaning and preparing game (rabbit, birds and squirrels). Lots of survival off of the land type information. I wounder how often it will be published and if all the upcoming issues will be this thick. As I looked through the magazine I asked myself, what did they leave to write about in future issues?

David

#13 ·
Looked in a wally today, no dice.
Whoever has one, it should say what the frequnacy of publishing will be.

#14 ·
As my user name suggests I just wanted to drop by and say I bought one of these for my father for Christmas, in the hopes of also filling out and sending in for a subscription.

I just flipped through it and not only is there no way to subscribe, it is only going to be published annually, so my big plan was cut down.

Edit to say I found it at Walmart today - there was only one other issue left on the shelf other than this one. There are minimal ads in the magazine, and as someone else mentioned on page 1 it is stuffed with a ton of articles covering various subjects. It looks like a great magazine to me, but I'm not exactly well versed in the survival/outdoors magazine genre.

#15 ·
annually, well there goes that...so it should have been a book, lol

hey Stoppingby, thanks for Stopping by..:biggrin: I will give you your first thank, lol

#16 ·
Got a copy at Walmart yesterday. Some good info, but most of the articles are at a VERY high level and only 2-3 pages max. For example, there's a page on hunting red squirrels that is basically "my partner didn't bring enough food, but I had a .22 along and shot 4 red squirrels..."
Oh, the pic on the cover is actually a painting of a mountain man, not a current picture of a hunter.

Be good, and you will be lonesome.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Just picked one up to put in my stocking for christmas.... looks pretty good though

#22 ·
Thanks both of U. I had no idea it was in some stores. I'll have to look a little harder

Reactions: LT
#24 ·
Picked up a copy at 'Winco' food store. I like what little bit I've read so far. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't want to compare it to Backwoodsman, but for lack of another like example, and Backwoodsman a pretty much stand alone in the field, I would have to say a derivitive of the same philosophy. I wish them well and good luck at acquiring a large following. I'm planning on a couple rack copies before I spring for a subscription.

#26 ·
Backwoods Home Magazine and Ritchie's Backwoodsman are both very good magazines, but serve different purposes. I subscribe to both, but have no other connection with either, other than that I really enjoy them.
Backwoods Home Magazine, BHM, is mostly a back to the land, independent living oriented magazine, as good or better than the old Mother Earth News was when it first started. It's got articles about gardening, home preservation of foods, homesteading, alternative electrical generation by solar, wind or hydro, and also some Libertarian views about government and politics, and a regular article on guns and ammo. It comes out 6 times a year and is available at Wally-world, Barnes & Noble, and other places magazines are sold, but in limited quantities, get there early or go home empty. They usually have a booth at preparedness expos around the country. They also make available free subscriptions to wounded warriors and other deserving folks, many of the "free" subscriptions are actually donated by their readers, nothing is really free, someone has to pay.
Ritchie's Backwoodsman magazine, BWM, is mostly about the skills and tools of the early pioneer, and mountain men, with articles on do it yourself old timey equipment, and hunting and care of game and etc. It comes out 6 times a year, and is sometimes available at Wall-world, and other book stores, but it, too goes fast so get there early.
I find subscriptions are easiest, and guarantee I get the magazine. I got a lifetime subscription to BWM by trading Charlie Ritchie a bunch of very old knives I had. Both are small independent bootstrap businesses, published by good folks who walk the walk as well as talk the talk.
I haven't seen the magazine referenced in the OP, but will look for it. Too bad it's only out once a year, sounds like a winner.

#28 ·
I bought one also and so far it looks real good! I have only read a few articles and like it so far. I bought it at the local Giant Eagle grocery store. Makes me want to build a dugout canoe!!

#30 ·
I picked up a copy at the Walmart in town. The only place that had it. I will be honest, witha $9.95 price tag I started not to get it, but I thought this once I would give it a try. There is a article on a cabin in it that interested me and I am hopefull it will provide $10.00 worth of info. if nothing else.
Thanks, Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.