+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Here is my 7mm/06

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Here is my 7mm/06

Okay guys and gals, you wore me down and here is the wildcat forum. I know there is a bunch of Marlin Owners members that have them. I'll post a couple of pics of my only two I have left. In the past I've had a lot of them, comes from years of bench shooting.

I have two in the same cal and not much difference from a .280 Rem.

My deer rifle on an 03A3 Springfield action, 3-9 Leupold, syntech stock.

My varmit/target on a Rem 722 action modified for single shot with mag port welded shut. 2 oz trigger 8-32 scope with 1/8 dot. 40XBR stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    68Glenfield and Dansken like this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thanks Swany for the Forum. Yeah, you guys bring 'em out , show 'em off and tell us what makes 'em different. What'd you go through to build it, special quirks, etc...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks Swany,,Your #1 in my book!
    I have one modified 03 in 308
    This is my target rifle..
    DSC02120.JPG
    One more
    A cut down Mauser 98 in 219 D.Wasp...
    DSC02139.JPGThe receiver was shorten about 1 1/4 " and a hand made black walnut stock
    This was a gun show find that I re-chambered in the Wasp..
    I do have a few more for later...
    Marlin League #2 Team Captain

Team 39 #25
    Team 38-55 #41
    Team 1894 #97
    Team 336 #325
    Team 45 70 #355
    Team 38-55 #41
    Illnoise The state with the most corrupt politicians in the USA

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hmmmmm should my 7x57 XL7 go here?

2012-01-07_23-34-05_768.jpg

its a .275 Rigby to me
    dpe.ahoy likes this.
    Team 30-30 #507
    Team X7 #15
    Team 45/70 #583

Shooting from bags and rests is a good indication of how well your rifle will shoot.... But standing, kneeling and shooting off-hand will tell you how well YOU shoot.
    Get off the bench and get in the game!

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #
    The way 7X57s are produced they are almost a cat. One of the best cals going in an AI version. The .257AI is a barnstormer. It is off the 7mm Mauser case.
    dpe.ahoy likes this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have been thinking about making this a .275 AI or a 7x57 AI whatever you want to call it. My rifle is going through an identity crisis. I need to pick one and stick with it.

Clayton
    dpe.ahoy likes this.
    Team 30-30 #507
    Team X7 #15
    Team 45/70 #583

Shooting from bags and rests is a good indication of how well your rifle will shoot.... But standing, kneeling and shooting off-hand will tell you how well YOU shoot.
    Get off the bench and get in the game!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I will make a few contributions to this thread about my big Wildcat- bit by bit I guess. Eventually I will get some pictures of it in here. Let me start at the beginning....

A friend of mine and I designed a cartridge. First we had to agree on a basic description of what we wanted. Then we had to kind of draw a picture and have a concept of how we- without use of machine shops would make the brass. We decided we wanted a mid bore. We arrived on 9.3mm.... After more discussion we decided we would base the case on the great 8x68S Magnum. So we came up with our rough design and went forward.

Sounds simple enough.... but to get it into production we had to meet the expectations of RCBS and get some serious help with the drawings and specifications. Well we got this and passed the RCBS "is this possible" test. So we got our chamber reamers built and on to the nest step- building the guns.... I will come back to this another time- right now I want to share with you all how my friend and I arrived at 2 different ways to make brass. Neither is easy. Our 2 rifles are identical- or as close as can be- that was our intent.

In a nutshell, I expand the neck and case mouth and then fire form the case with a moderate rifle powder charge and a reasonably priced bullet. Before fire forming I turn the necks so they will chamber. I had to buy a neck turning device...

In a nutshell, my friend expands the neck and case mouth and fire forms the case with fast burning powder and corn meal. Before fire forming my friend inside reams the necks so they will chamber. He had to buy a .375" reamer and cut it down to .366".

With our 2 different approaches to making brass we moved ahead to load development. Our results have been nearly identical. Best of all- and to my amazement.... I was able to use his brass and just neck size it and use it in my rifle. I guess this is evidence of a great rifle builder- Kip Woods in Mt. Pleasant MI.

This caliber has rung up several one shot kills on Moose, Brown Bear, Caribou, black bear, etc. Its living up to our expectations.

I owe some pictures- working on it, have a camera issue right now.

More to follow....

M
    I am still clinging to guns and religion.

Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, AMVETs
    Life Member, Military Police Regimental Association

1893, 1894 CS, 1894 CB, 444SS, 39A Golden, 81 DL, 80 DL, Glenfield 30 "SC", 39M Octagon, and a 922M....

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey Maudite, what bullet/velocity did you end up with on that 9.3x68s wildcat? I am 9.3x62 lover, but I saw one 8x68s in south Africa, it was a hoss of a cartridge.
    Only quasi wildcat in my safe now is my .35 Whelen Ackley Improved. I could have had the shoulder blown out to a Gibbs style, but I like being able to shoot factory ammo in it.
    Genesis 3:21 ...God, the first Furrier.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Attachment 0This is my 6x45 that I made up 5-6 years ago, a Ted Gailard barrel and the stock I made from African bubinga wood, and I have won lot,s of meat prizes at the local bench rest shoots with it and it has taken over 30 coyotes.Steve!!

Wrangler
    Member #

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links