Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Here is my 7mm/06

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  grovey 
#1 ·
Okay guys and gals, you wore me down and here is the wildcat forum. I know there is a bunch of Marlin Owners members that have them. I'll post a couple of pics of my only two I have left. In the past I've had a lot of them, comes from years of bench shooting.

I have two in the same cal and not much difference from a .280 Rem.

My deer rifle on an 03A3 Springfield action, 3-9 Leupold, syntech stock.

My varmit/target on a Rem 722 action modified for single shot with mag port welded shut. 2 oz trigger 8-32 scope with 1/8 dot. 40XBR stock.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Swany for the Forum. Yeah, you guys bring 'em out , show 'em off and tell us what makes 'em different. What'd you go through to build it, special quirks, etc...

#3 ·
Thanks Swany,,Your #1 in my book!
I have one modified 03 in 308
This is my target rifle..
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Wood

One more
A cut down Mauser 98 in 219 D.Wasp...
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
The receiver was shorten about 1 1/4 " and a hand made black walnut stock
This was a gun show find that I re-chambered in the Wasp..
I do have a few more for later...:biggrin:

#5 ·
The way 7X57s are produced they are almost a cat. One of the best cals going in an AI version. The .257AI is a barnstormer. It is off the 7mm Mauser case.

#7 ·
I will make a few contributions to this thread about my big Wildcat- bit by bit I guess. Eventually I will get some pictures of it in here. Let me start at the beginning....

A friend of mine and I designed a cartridge. First we had to agree on a basic description of what we wanted. Then we had to kind of draw a picture and have a concept of how we- without use of machine shops would make the brass. We decided we wanted a mid bore. We arrived on 9.3mm.... After more discussion we decided we would base the case on the great 8x68S Magnum. So we came up with our rough design and went forward.

Sounds simple enough.... but to get it into production we had to meet the expectations of RCBS and get some serious help with the drawings and specifications. Well we got this and passed the RCBS "is this possible" test. So we got our chamber reamers built and on to the nest step- building the guns.... I will come back to this another time- right now I want to share with you all how my friend and I arrived at 2 different ways to make brass. Neither is easy. Our 2 rifles are identical- or as close as can be- that was our intent.

In a nutshell, I expand the neck and case mouth and then fire form the case with a moderate rifle powder charge and a reasonably priced bullet. Before fire forming I turn the necks so they will chamber. I had to buy a neck turning device...

In a nutshell, my friend expands the neck and case mouth and fire forms the case with fast burning powder and corn meal. Before fire forming my friend inside reams the necks so they will chamber. He had to buy a .375" reamer and cut it down to .366".

With our 2 different approaches to making brass we moved ahead to load development. Our results have been nearly identical. Best of all- and to my amazement.... I was able to use his brass and just neck size it and use it in my rifle. I guess this is evidence of a great rifle builder- Kip Woods in Mt. Pleasant MI.

This caliber has rung up several one shot kills on Moose, Brown Bear, Caribou, black bear, etc. Its living up to our expectations.

I owe some pictures- working on it, have a camera issue right now.

More to follow....

M

#8 ·
Hey Maudite, what bullet/velocity did you end up with on that 9.3x68s wildcat? I am 9.3x62 lover, but I saw one 8x68s in south Africa, it was a hoss of a cartridge.
Only quasi wildcat in my safe now is my .35 Whelen Ackley Improved. I could have had the shoulder blown out to a Gibbs style, but I like being able to shoot factory ammo in it.

#12 ·
Preacher

For most uses I am using the Barnes 250 grain X bullet going 2840 FPS. I have some room to go faster but don't think I need to. Also use the 270 grain Speer and a 247 grain RWS bullet. I have killed 3 big game animals with the 250 grain Barnes and it was instant death.

I need to get some pictures on here. The brass making is a fun challenge. The rifle is pretty cool too.

M

#15 ·
And it fits in a standard action. 2 of our owners have built their guns on single shots- a Browning B-78 and a Ruger #1. Their rifles can take more pressure and they get higher velocities with their loads. But we started out trying to get efficient, magnum power from the standard length bolt action- did that just fine. Those strong single shots just get to go a little further.

I keep thinking about building one more.... in a Browning BAR Magnum- convert a 338 Mag to our 9.3 Rock. Wouldn't that be a hoot if it could work out? A semi-automatic big game rifle delivering 4600 ft/pds with every shot. Hmmm.... I'm still thinking about it.

M

#16 ·
Well, ol Jack Lott got a BAR to work with the .458 winmag, but I remember it didn't help the recoil any. I'm sure it can be done.
I remember the first time I ever heard of a 9.3x62mm, way back in the late '70s. It was article in a gun rag about a one armed man who wanted to hunt brown bear with his Remington 742. The gunsmith he used ( forget who) had it rebored/rechambered to the 9.3x62 and got it to work. I was interested as at the time, I used a Remington 742 in '06 and it was a "jam o matic". ha. Well, seems the guy got his bear with one shot and the RWS 286 TUG load. It didn't say if his 742 jammed after that! So later in life, when I read Finn Aagards article on the 9.3x62, I had one built up. It was tough finding brass/ammo,etc. Now it is very easy to get. I found one brand of ammo ( no brass) at Midway in the 8x68S, but I'm sure Huntington's has or can get it. Just saying, your 9.3 Rock is a "bonafide" Wildcat, ha.

#17 ·
Nice! I am a 7x57 and .280 guy.
Glad you said the 7mm/06 is different from the .280.
I remember when Remington, I think it was early 80's made some 700's with the Barrel Stamp 7MM/06 granted only a few where made I think most ended up here in Canada.
I can see the Problems that would cause calling it a 7mm/06 when it is really a .280 with the shoulder more forward than a 06 or .270.
Then we have them calling it the (.280) a 7mm express that caused problems too with some getting them mixed up with the 7mm Mag.
At one time I had a BRNO in 7x64:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.