Marlin Firearms Forum banner

338-06

10K views 65 replies 41 participants last post by  moofy07 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experience with this round? I became interested in this cartridge and am considering including it into my assortment of rifles. It seems like a great multipurpose big game load for North America.

#2 ·
I went with the 338/284, had to be different
it basically uses same load data
makes an awesome handgun round in the Thompson Encore

#5 ·
It strikes me as an awesome cartridge. The barrels are out there too. I may wind up building one of these. Not that I need another rifle. lol
I have an action to use so why not make something I don't already have in my inventory and might turn into one of my all time favorites.
The 35 Whelen was another one I was considering, but I think the .338 will provide a bit more performance at longer ranges.
The guys that I think would really love this caliber are the guys out west. Seems to be a great elk, mule deer and bear round. I like the flexibility it has. It can be used for virtually any North American game. I may wind up building one of these.

#6 · (Edited)
Just got done making that choice, sending off a Interarms Mark X Mauser mannlicher for a rebore . 338/06 vs 35 Whelen. Just about everyone, that became aware of this thought the 338\06 a better choice. So would assume if resale is a potential happening, the 338/06 would be a better choice. The selection of 338 bullets is greater, and as mentioned offer better ballistic coefficients for longer range work. In the end was building primarily a woods rifle for black bear and deer, and cannot see it being used beyond 300 yards, with 75 yards and under being a norm. Out to 250 yds, see the difference between the two rather minimal as far as drop is concerned. I did alot of bullet testing out of my other 35 Whelens and a 338 Magnum, which is under bullet reviews, "focus on the 190 hawk and 35 Rem." In my book, bullet terminal performance trumps all, and was very impressed by the Whelen shooting softer bullets. In fairness, did not test a lot of 338 bullets, and am reasonably certain a bullet providing equal effect could found for it. So opted for the 35 Whelen with the 250gr Hawk Flat Point for deer and black bear, for this short barrel project rifle and a 750 Rem carbine. And keep the other 35 Whelen (24 inch barrel) sighted for the 225gr Sierra if distance and large game are a consideration. Bottom line, if I felt shooting out to 300 yards was going to be a common occurrence, would have went with the 338/06 firing a Spitzer bullet.

#8 ·
I already built a .260 rem rifle. Started life as a Ruger MKII M77 all weather .243, lam stock. Picked up a Shilen match grade #3 contour barrel that was on sale and my brother threaded, shortened, crowned on his metal lathe. Glass bedded the barrel and installed a Timney adjustable trigger on it. This baby can shoot! We specifically picked 6.5 bullet because of the low drag coefficient and bullet weights available. I really like the 6.5 bullet. In an 06 case it should be a great round for reaching out and touching something.... like antelope or mule deer.

#9 ·
Whitewater.......
I've owned a 35 Whelen for quite a few years. Using either the Sierra 225gr BT or the Speer 250gr Spitzer there's not much it won't do. Published numbers for Whelen performance are understated. It is a different rifle for reloaders. With that being said, my second choice would be the 338-06 for an all around medium bore. The 338 bullets do have a ballistic edge and probably give the 338-06 some long range advantage. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it if you have one built.

#10 ·
I had one made up years ago and these days it is a more mainstream option. Having been there if I were looking for that sort of performance I would simply buy a 338 WM. It can easily be loaded down to 338/06 levels using faster powders for broadly similar powder consumption. Rifles, cases, dies and loaded ammo are readily available and you can hot rod the 338 WM if you have a rifle with a longer magazine (eg Rem 700). The main advantage the 338/06 has is that the magazine holds one more shell.

Having said all that, if it's an itch that needs to be scratched, you simply need to build one. Life is too short to not find out for yourself.

#12 ·
If you are talking about loads for small deer, then I'd suggest using something like a 200 gr Speer and H-4895. Loads developing 2600-2700 fps would bring recoil down to 30/06 levels and still kill well and in my experience are still very accurate.

I haven't worked up such loads for years, but these days there are even lighter bullets designed for 338 Fed performance levels. H-4895 can be quite useful for lighter loads in a variety of cartridges, however in the magnum case I would suggest you still a magnum primer.

#13 ·
I have some H4895 and some H4350 that I could use for 338wm. Need to get some magnum primers. Also need some 338 bullets. LOL Just received a bunch of .458 and .44 bullets and some IMR 4227 powder. Going to load up some 44 magnum loads for my 1894P and some 45-70 loads for 1895SS. Taking a chance on a new remlin 336W 30-30 which should arrive at local FFL Wednesday. I have stuff happening around here. lol

#14 ·
I used to dwell on having a 338-06 built on the 760 Remington with the barrel shortened to 18 or 20 in. I have all my close range bases covered with lever guns now, so probably won't. I traded for a Whelen this year and I love it. But, I bought a 338 Win Mag with 26 in barrel several years go as my just in case I get to go out West for Elk gun. It shoots paper a couple of times a year:(

Reactions: whitewater
#15 ·
I cannot believe that the .338-06 has never become a factory round

#17 ·
Yes, Weatherby did offer a rifle chambered in 338-06. Barrels and ammo is out there for sale. My brother got me thinking about this... lol I mentioned to him I had a 25-06 that I was not happy with and was thinking of making it something else. I was thinking of maybe 6.5-06. He mentioned why not something bigger than .30 caliber like 338.

#22 ·
I had a 338/280 made up years back. I worked with the Nosler 180. Only brass I had at the time was nickel plated crap in .280. It either cracked at the case mouth of flaked at the shoulder. I eventually had that rifle converted to a 338 win mag. I should add that I am a 35 Whelen A.I. nut, so I didn't pusue the 338/06 derivatives. If I would have had a regular 338/06 or better, a 338/06 Improved first, I would still have it and never would have messed with the 35 Whelen AI! Just being frank, ha. It is a truly great all American round! I don't think a man needs to go higher than the Nosler or Barnes 210 for anything in North America! Good luck to you Pard

#23 ·
Greetings
Just to throw another stick on the fire.... Ever thought about a 375-06 ? The 375 Whelen was of course a long ago option and is still around today. The Whelen has a fatter shoulder than the 06 and that is where lots of reloaders got in trouble with headspace.
I shot a JES Rebore 375 Whelen alot this summer when up north there. I shoot mainly my own cast so I am not looking for any magnum velocities but if some one was to load some 270 grain jacketed in that 375 case you can get to 2400 + fps with not much trouble. I have read of 2500 fps by some. That is not to far off the 375 H&H which I also shoot.
200 grain right up to 346 grain was launched down my barrel with 4350. I would not hessitate to use that 345 grainer on any critter under 100 yards in our lower 48. Probably would handle even the larger nasty bears under 50 yards.
So just to shake the coals a bit... I was looking at the 338-06 also. But as I have many caliber .375 molds already when I saw JES Reboring set up for the 375 Whelen I jumped at the chance to finally own one. No regrets having made the choice either other than I should have done so many years ago.
Mike in Peru

#24 ·
I built a 338-06 on a savage 110 with a ER Shaw barrel.
used it to kill a Moose at 150 yards. seems like I used 180g speer grand slams. would have to delve back in my records. the year before a friend was in camp with a weatherby in 338-06 and had a frontal shot that went lengthwise and we recovered the bullet just under the skin where his tail would be it he had a tail.
I found the recoil was less with the 338-06 then with the original 30-06. sold that gun to a youngster that needed a big game rifle. wish I could get it back.

#25 ·
A fine cartridge, I just replied to the other .338/06 thread. If I wanted to shoot 200 to 250 grain bullets at North American game a .338/06 would be my first choice. Mine was wonderfully accurate with both the 200 grain Nosler BT and the 210 grain Partition.

Bob

#31 ·
It is a great cartridge, but you gotta handload. Factory loads, if you can find them, will require a second mortgage. Still, properly loaded a 338-06 will do 98% of what a 338 Win Mag will do and will hurt the shoulder a whole lot less.

#32 ·
I don't have a 338-06, but do own a 338 Fed and a 338 Marlin Express. The 338-06 is more of a great thing, if looking for a new build, it would be on the top of the list! As it stands now, these will do for me. DP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.