Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deadeye
    Member #

Discussion on the WWG .457

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...,161138.0.html
    Some love it and others must hate it?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM #294, LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years now retired!

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Discussion on the WWG .457

I would have to agree with the con side of this one, not enough gain to justfiy the cost, But if you want to talk 470 Turnbull!

Tinhorn
    Member #

The WWG .457 seems like very little gain for a lot of expense. To me that means it is not a good value.

The WWG .457 is supposed to push a 350gr bullet at 2200fps and the Buffalo Bore ammo pushes a 350gr bullet at 2100fps. I doubt that any animal could tell the difference in 100fps at that level of velocity using the same bullet.

But it is nice to have options.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    Keep your options open.

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mello
    The WWG .457 seems like very little gain for a lot of expense. To me that means it is not a good value.

The WWG .457 is supposed to push a 350gr bullet at 2200fps and the Buffalo Bore ammo pushes a 350gr bullet at 2100fps. I doubt that any animal could tell the difference in 100fps at that level of velocity using the same bullet.

But it is nice to have options.
    No improvement has ever taken place in great leaps and bounds? Maybe, the con people here should be patient with this caliber( better things to come?)?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM #294, LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years now retired!

Deadeye
    Member #

If nothing else, the little bit of extra case capacity may lower pressure a tad.
    Steven

Supporting Vendor
    Member #

The fellow on that site who has been (for years) critisizing the 457 ignores the obvious factor that if you don't handload, the 457 mag is the most potent out there.

Keep in mind that it is extremely popular with folks whoactually live and hunt up here and in Africa, as opposed to pontificating on the net from the lower 48
    Please feel free to call us a 800/992-4570 or email us at wildwestguns@alaska.net.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Not even looking at the data, at least they are trying to do something different ya know? I like to see companies that think outside the box and try new things...
    -Matt

Deadeye
    Member #

I do have one for sale in the classifieds if you want a lower buy-in to see if it's something worthwhile or not. . *whistle-whistle*
    Steven

Gunfighter
    Member #

The Co-Pilot I had had the lengthened chamber and associated tinkering to make it cycle. It was part of the package. I am pretty ambivalent about it. If someone likes it, great. If not, oh well.

I see a lot folks raving about "Ackleyizing" this and that for a very small gain in FPS and no one seems to jump them about it. Slagging those that happen like the 457 WW seems pretty petty. Like someone mentioned "at least they tried something different". To me it is kind of like buying a high HP car or very torquey truck, you seldom NEED all the power but it might be nice to know you always have the option, doncha know.

I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I am certain, between the last few percent of performance between the 45-70 and 457, but then I am not really looking. I just like to fling large bullets downrange...

Be safe
    Patty
    quote: "It is always preferable to be the stomper than the stompee"

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Wild West Guns
    The fellow on that site who has been (for years) critisizing the 457 ignores the obvious factor that if you don't handload, the 457 mag is the most potent out there.

Keep in mind that it is extremely popular with folks whoactually live and hunt up here and in Africa, as opposed to pontificating on the net from the lower 48
    Funny, all the years I guided in Alaska I never ran in to one of these extremely popular guns! But what would someone from the lower 48 know, right.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links