Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Gday from Australia. Which Marlin should I get?

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Pard 
#1 ·
Gday gday,

I'm keen to get a new Marlin 30-30 for hunting pigs on foot. I love the look of the stainless but am not sure what models are available or which are the 'best' to get in Australia.
Any advice on what are good models would be greatly appreciated. Also and info regarding buying in the US and importing it to Australia would be beaut.

Cheers Fellas

#5 ·
Would I be right in guessing that you pay a large premium in Oz versus what we pay in the US? Do you live/hunt in the wet part of Oz or the drier regions?

I ask because if the rifle is going to run a lot of money and you live/hunt in the dry climates then maybe a blued 336 might suit you just fine.

I have a 336SS and absolutely love it.

There are a lot of threads on the forum regarding calibers, rifles, etc. and hog hunting. Use the search function and you should turn up a lot of discussions.

#6 ·
Cheers Eli

Yeah, A new blued 30-30 will run around 1200-1300 dollars Australian (roughly). If the SS model is more rugged and better quality then ill pay the extra couple of hundred and go for it. Im in hot wet north Queensland now, but ill be heading down to Sydney in a little bit.

#9 ·
Welcome from the Great Republic of Texas... I'm partial to the 336 in .35rem...

#10 ·
Hi there from southern Queensland.

The Marlins are in short supply depending on the calibre. I have the 30-30 XLR, 308 MXLR and have just ordered and awaiting the permit to aquire for a 45-70 XLR. The LE ammo (30-30 and 308) has a short case ie less than 51mm or two inches (Legal case length in Victoria) so to hunt Sambar in Victoria I had to go 45-70. I had a 338 MXLR on order for 11 months and was no closer to getting the rifle when I cancelled the order. What ever gunshop you deal with get them to ring RAYTRADE who are the Marlin importers to see what they have in stock. I deal with Cleavers at Redcliffe north of Brisbane as my main supplier of firearms and ammunition. The XLR rifles are sweet to shoot and using Hornady Leverevolution ammunition makes these a great combination if you don't reload but want max performance. The 30-30 is a great round and available at most gunshops. 30-30 XLR will be around AUD $1500. ;D

Keep us posted

#12 ·
Hello from Tennessee. Got me a 45-70 Cowboy to drop pigs with. Plus you never know when a T-Rex might show up. ;D

#14 ·
Welcome Mate! From Springfield, Missouri...

#15 ·
Andrew,

The 30/30 is a nice 'bush gun' not too heavy, and very accurate in either blue or SS. But if you are thinking of reloading for it, I would suggest another cartridge, as they don't resize well, as the brass is very delicate and can crush on the shoulder or neck quite easily. I have reloaded for this calibre and I hate it, because you have to be so careful with the full length resizing die. If you have access to new factory ammo then go for it. The Marlin 'micro groove' rifling really does work ! They are a more reliable
lever action than Winchester, and a lot smoother as well. They accept a scope without any mods, due to side ejection. Nice firearm no matter which one you choose ! Good Luck !

Old Timer

#16 ·
Compared to a Winnie 94, a lot heavier.

If you must go 30WCF, then a 336 in SS will do you well in all weather. When its sunny, drape a chunk of ru hide over the barrel so as it dont glare you down.

45-70 is the way to go. About the same range, bigger hole, it will drop them oinkers in their tracks

Its a barrel of fun also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.