Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Hi from SW Ohio

1K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  marlin54 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Been browsing around for a while and it looks like you've got an excellent, knowledgable community here.

I own an old Marlin Model 90 O/U in 16ga (two trigger) that I love. Inherited it from my Grandpa, one of his hunting guns. I haven't hunted with it yet, but I've shot trap a few time with it and it does well.

That's not why I'm here though. I just got a job in Alaska, and so I want to get a good field gun that I may also do a bit of hunting with, but mostly a field gun, something that I can sling over my shoulder an hike around/camp with. After a bunch of research, I'm thinking the Marlin 1895 Guide is the way to go. I like the short barrel, the weight, power, and I've always wanted a good lever.

Any comments or recommendations on where to look? I've checked with some local gun stores, and they say they don't get too many of those come through the store, probably because Ohio doesn't allow hunting with it. I hear the older "JM" stamped ones are better, so I've been looking for used. Gun Broker has them for 550-650 basic. Does that seem a little high?

Anyways, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm excited, and it looks like you have a fantastic community of people here!

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! There are several members from AK and they all seem to like the 45-70 regardless of model! Good luck on finding a good one -- and we'd sure like to see pics of that 16 ga double! John

#3 ·
Welcome to MarlinOwners from The Republic of California!

$600 is pretty common on GB right now, but it can feel a lot better if you start looking at what may be included with the rifle.

Maybe peep sights. Maybe a sling. A scope.

Whatever gets you closer to where you think you may want to end up is helpful. Try not to freak out and overbid for the first one that comes along.

And don't be afraid to ask the seller questions.

Good luck!

#5 ·
Welcome from Tennessee!

#7 ·
Welcome fromLong Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

#8 ·
Hello & Welcome from Arkansas.

#11 ·
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

#13 ·
Welcome from New York farm country, keep your ammo dry!

#14 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Here's a not-so-great pic of my Grandpa's Model 90. When I got it, it was in good firing condition but had a bunch of rust on the outside of the barrel and receiver. The action was clean though. I asked around at the 16ga.com forums (which is also a really good community - lots of marlin owners over there too...) and got the cosmetic stuff a little better taken care of.
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Trigger

It shoots very well. I even won one of the games at the local gun club's weekly trap meet. One game out of probably 30 (ok, and it was a tie), but still, I can hold my own against the beautiful Brownings with it...

Thanks for the input on my quest for a good 1895G. Since it's a field gun, I just want a sling and peep sights - no scope. I think being patient will be the hardest part - I'm really excited now and want to start with it right away. I'll be at the Ohio Gun Collectors show this weekend looking for one...

I'll keep everyone updated.

#16 ·
Hadn't though about putting slugs through it. I guess with a bit of practice on the sight picture with just the front bead, I could get accuracy down to minute-of-deer at some reasonable distance (50-75 yds?). Won't matter though when I get to Alaska and can actually hunt with a rifle.

EDIT: The bottom barrel is IC and top Mod, *I think. Should I only shoot slugs out of the bottom barrel, or is it ok to put some through the mod as long as I don't go crazy and put hundreds of slugs through it?

#18 ·
Welcome from Connecticut

#21 ·
Hello Steve, Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.