+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Torn on what SxS: Polaris Ranger 800XP vs. CanAm Commander XT

I'm between these two. The CanAm Commander 800XT in camo. I absolutely love the crap out of it and it feels awesome to drive. Priced it w/ windshield, windscreen, and convertible roof for $15000. Here's the problem. Wife says she dont like it because there is no room for my boy when he's old enough to take riding as the CanAm has two buckets. Her suggestion is the Polaris Ranger. I went and drove one today. Not very fast in acceleration or top end for that matter (53 vs. almost 80 in the CanAm) but it did feel like a torque monster. Very smooth ride, good payload. Only thing I hate which is her reason for it is the bench seat. I feel like I'm in a golf cart. You sit on it instead of in it. And I'm not as comfortable with the legroom. Not uncomfortable, just not as much so with the CanAm. Also less storage were the CanAm has a trunk under the bed. I priced the camo 800 XP w/ windshield, windscreen, roof, prerunner bumpers, 4500lb winch, and rear rollcage thingamabob and can get it for $14500. So I'm looking for any input you guys have. No other suggestions please though, it's between just these two.
    And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth GENESIS 1:28

"Go ahead, skin it....skin that smokewagon and see what happens!"

"Blessed are the Peacemakers"
    3rd Squadron PEACEMAKERS 278th ACR

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My neighbor has the Polaris SXS 800, but his has bucket seats and looks to be a nice rig.

Friend has the CanAm SxS and loves it. So that is my knowlege of either.

Me, I still have my 98 single jug 400 AT 4x4 Kawasaki Bayou with a manual shift gear box, really like it and will have until it or I die. (at my age there are mornings where think I know which will go first) Wife has a 2004 carbed 800 Polaris Sportsman with IS, auto 4 WD and she loves it, but compared to my 400, it is a gas hog.
    Last edited by Tanstaafl; 12-24-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Member #
    I'm wondering if there is any means of rigging up a third seat maybe in the bed or something on the canam for a kid. when he gets old enough I might get him a little 170 Razr or something.
    And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth GENESIS 1:28

Team Thuty-Thuty Co-Captain - Site Contributor Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Is there a reason you would need to do a 80 in a SxS just wondering?Are you wanting this rig for hunting,playing or both!!!Have no experience with the Can Am but my buddy has 2010 Polaris Ranger 500 SxS and it is a stout little beast I believe the Polaris would do everything you want it do and then some except go fast!! I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsmen 500 H.O. and love it I would put it up against anything else in its class including speed it will run 60 and yes I have done it several times!!If your looking for something fun and fast the new Polaris RZR 900 is supposed to run close to 90mph from what I understand I would love to have one!!!!

Patrick

#14 TEAM MARLIN EXPRESS
    #176 TEAM 444
    #14 TEAM 35
    #152 TEAM 45/70
    #11 TEAM 60
    #3 MARLIN LEAGUE
    #10 TEAM SOUTHPAW
    #59 TEAM SHOTGUN

Member #
    Speed isn't a priority, just nice to know if I really need to haul, it can. Cargo capacity with the trunk and all on the CanAm is amazing. Biggest single thing to me is the seating arrangement in the Polaris just feels awkward. It's like I'm in a golfcart. Can't actually stretch my legs out, you sit like you're on a bench.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links