+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: 2WD Pick-up vs. Icy Roads????

If I get my rear tires in mud, snow, ice, loose gravel, etc, I don't go anywhere.may a decent set of used off-rd tires will get me through the winter? That, along with having my 4-wheeler in the back my just get me to my lease. Still a good chance I may need to bring along a tow strap, hehe!
    There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption; into our domain. For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three. And on that day, you will reap it.

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Put studs on the rear of the truck and at least 500 lbs (directly) over the rear axel. When I had my rear wheel S-10 that thing did real well. Slow and easy you go! If you get in deep snow...chains! We put chains on a car stuck in two feet of snow and drove it right out on quite an upgrade! A friend of mine has one heck of a driveway and puts studs front and rear on two wheel drives!
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Deadeye
    Member #

if you can find a good set of winter tires and have them studded (check if it's legal where you're at) it will help out a little bit.
    -Paul

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to ventilate something..."

U.S. Army Jul2005-APR2011
    Team 45-70 #332

me
    Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

broncojunkie they about got it covered I have drove 2wd in snow and ice never chained or ran studs. Packed snow is ok...especially if surface temp below 20 deg. you just got to slow before you turn...keep good momentum up hill so you can feather the gas petal when you lose traction It's a learned thing. You can push 20" of new snow and 2" on a warm road is useless. Same of black ice..Studded tire, shovel com-along and chain or rope will keep you going. I like to tell new drivers to find a parking lot and play on snow and ice. It will save you more than a volume of words. Drive at your speed because I guaranty you can't stay with those with experience
    That's the best I can do for you. I have to admit I been on wet ice you couldn't walk on and did ok. And you will know it's bad when you park your car get out and it slide over to a low spot
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Distinguished Master
    Member #

My rural mail carrier brother in law drives a 2wd Ford Ranger on his route. For snow and ice, he puts his studded tires on and throws a bunch of cinder blocks into the bed.

I don't go anywhere I don't have to when the roads are icy in my 2wd pickups and when I do toss a bunch of concrete blocks in the bed that I keep around just for that purpose. Then I take my time and drive around slow and easy.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by four4D4
    I dont care what your driving nothing will grip on ice
    No it won't, but two tire with traction or four is better than one, and ya can take that to the bank.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Contributing Member
    Member #

Years ago I got around okay on ice and snow in an old two-wheel drive pickup. Good tires, some weight over the rear axle, and taking it real easy were key.

Bought a 4x4, and everything got much easier. The whole family drives 4x4's or all-wheel drive cars now. Two Subaru cars, an Explorer and my Dodge pickup. Four wheel/all-wheel drive makes things much easier - but you can get around in a rear-wheel drive vehicle. Add weight to the rear. Use good tires. Have some chains handy. Don't go real nasty places. Save money for a 4x4.

No secret that I'm a cop. Drive a Ford Crown Vicky all the time, winter & summer. Rear wheel drive with a V-8 up front. We use good winter tires, toss a couple of sandbags in the trunk, and I like to start out in 2nd gear when it's real slick and nasty out. All that helps the standard Crown Vicky get around surprisingly well in the winter, on icy or snow-covered streets. Still, the department does have a couple of 4x4's, because there are times that they're the only things we've got that will move.

Guy

Tinhorn
    Member #

Snow chains or studded tires will help, but remember that icy roads can and will take out any vehicle, including 4wd. I've been able to do more with chains than studded tires, but you have to put on/take off chains as needed. Some weight in the bed is a must. We see many folks driving around with firewood in their truck beds. It is jokingly said that at least if you get stuck, you'll have a load of wood to keep you warm

Sidewinder
    Member #

Bit the bullet and get a 4x4. Weight in the back is fine but dont over do it. Takes weight off of the front end and you cant steer on slick roads. I have 4 4x4s and use them about every day. All except the 2011 ranger have over 200,000 on them. The new ranger is a garage queen. Got it with all the off road equipment because I think this is the last year for manual transmissions and I dont do sluchboxes.(automacts) Chains are good (a pain to put on) studded tires help on ice not so much on mud. Postract or limited slip help quit a bit. The air or electric lockers work real good and you have both rear wheels pushing when you need them and open diff when you dont. you choose. But nothing beats 4x4 with lockers front and rear

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Well, I think I'm just going to try and find me an old 4x4. I don't really need a vehicle payment, but then again, I don't need anything nice. It will just get muddy. I also don't need anything with great mileage or even something particularly dependable. I only have to drive to work once a month. I just purchased a used atv and a rifle, so I can't really afford it at the moment...but there's a used car lot that my family has done some business with in the past. He also has lots of trucks. I'm thinking I might just take my next paycheck down there and see what he has. Maybe put the Dodge up on Craigslist.

Thanks for all the input, fellas. I've just been through this before and thought maybe there was something simple. Well, turns out that the simple/cheap fixes only help a little and the expensive fix is money I could spend on trading for a 4x4. It's a conundrum, lol!

I sure would like to find me an older F150 in decent shape. Most of what I've seen have been rust buckets with 300,000 miles or priced higher than a cat's hind-end.
    There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption; into our domain. For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three. And on that day, you will reap it.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links