Marlin Firearms Forum banner

How much is a ford ranger worth ?

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  tbirdstud86 
#1 ·
???I have a chance to buy a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 with the 6.0L engine and auto transmission.It only has 46,000 miles on it.He wants $8000 for it.Does any one have any experience with these trucks?I know they do not get the best gas mileage but how are they for being dependable?I have heard that the 5 speed auto transmissions or kind of iffy?Thanks for any info. JD

#2 ·
had a 99 with the same setup. sold it to my buddy with 185000 on it for 3000. Small electrical problems is all I ever had go wrong. he drove it tii about 230000 and let it get low on water and either cracked a head or blew a head gasket. We put one of the stopleaks in it and drove it to about 250000 and the tranny started slipping and he sold it. Cant complain about that. He called me once and said the motor was making noise about a year after I sold it to him. I asked if he ever changed the oil,no of course, it fixed it. so after I sold it I dont think it got much maintence. Might still be going if it had some TLC

#3 ·
jackdaniels said:
???I have a chance to buy a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 with the 6.0L engine and auto transmission.It only has 46,000 miles on it.He wants $8000 for it.Does any one have any experience with these trucks?I know they do not get the best gas mileage but how are they for being dependable?I have heard that the 5 speed auto transmissions or kind of iffy?Thanks for any info. JD
My work truck was a 99 ranger w/ smaller V6 auto tranny. It sold at auction with 150,000 miles for $3200. Truck had a series of small problems throughout its service years, but nothing serious. I hated it.

Sometime after 99, they made them bigger. I had an 03 with bigger V6 (6.0L seems seriously big for a small truck??) & I loved that truck. Sold it with 48000 on it due to mileage--less than 18mpg. If I was in the market for a used pickup and didn't need the agility of a small truck in the woods, I would look for a base model full-size and skip the Ranger.

#6 ·
I think it was in the '98 redesign they made the cab longer. If you can do a stick the Mazda M5OD is the tranny to get. Basically the only manual tranny offered since the early 90's.

Given the 3's proximity to the 6 button as opposed to the 4 I am going to guess you meant 3.0. They are a great engine, often called a cockroach engine. They do not do a whole lot or anything monumental... but they will live thru just about anything. Automatics really dog them down, night and day between a 3.0 with an automatic or a 5 speed.

Reliability wise, if you take care of the automatic it will usually take care of you. Service it regularly and don't overheat it and it should treat you well.

I have a '85 with a 302... had it for 11 years this fall (a tad over a month with the 302/C5 automatic) and I love it.

#8 ·
I have an '01 ranger 4x4 but with a 4.0 engine, 208,000 + and still going strong.

Had to have a tranny gasket replaced, it was "broke" and letting tranny fluid into the same gears at the same time. (or something like that)
Other than that, its been tune ups (2), brakes, tires, and oil changes, and other recommended maintenance in the manual.
I bought it slightly used with 16,000 miles on it and payed a bit over sixteen grand if that helps.
Been a great truck for me, and I have no complaints.

Concerning maintenance in the owners manuals, I know it seems expensive alot of times, but I'm a firm believer in that it makes your vehicle last and last.

$8,000 would seem a good starting point. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.