+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Wondering If I Need A New Clutch In My Bronco!

Wrangler
    Member #

Wondering If I Need A New Clutch In My Bronco!

Have had my Bronco II 5 speed 4 wheel drive about 6 years now.It has over 202000 miles on it and I have put about 50,000 on it myself.About 4 weeks ago it got hard to shift as the weather temperature drops so I had the grease changed in transmission.It helps but I have to let the vehicle warm up for 20 minutes or drive it about the same amount of time and then it will shift a whole lot better but it feels like the clutch is just getting weaker.I talked to a transmission mechanic on the phone and he said it sounds like the clutch to him.It does not to appear to slip but just started getting hard to shift until it warms up.If I do need to get a clutch where is the best place to get one for a reasonable price as my money is tight right now.Any feedback is much appreciated! Mike
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

Deadeye
    Member #
    If it is a hydrolic clutch pedal, make sure you have enough fluid in the resevoir. If it's a mechanical linkage it might need a little adjustment. Definitely check that out before you have them replace the clutch.

Keith
    LT and vaslugger like this.
    Marlin's - 336 30-30, 1895G, 1895CB, Model 60 Deluxe,
    Winchester's - .375 94 Big Bore, 2) 94's in 30-30, and 1894 Winchester 38-55 "Cabela's 50th Anniversary Edition"
    Henry's - Golden Boy .22lr and a Big Boy in .44 mag.

Team 45-70 Member #911,Team 38-55 Member #61, Team 30-30 Member #747, Team Mosin Nagant #10, Team 375 Win. #8

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    what the other bronco guy said (hehehehe) bronco archer ,
    I am not all that familiar with the II model but I thought they had hydraulic clutches like my 89 did .
    Also call another shop and check with a goods part store I always ask my guy of 30+ yrs about this or that at the p[arts store plus youtube helps some as well.
    Good luck
    vaslugger likes this.
    Peter
    America will never be destroyed from the outside.
    If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

​Μολών λαβέ !

anysoldier.com
    send candy gum cards newspapers magazines mixed cds games playing cards anything from home

Tinhorn
    Member #
    It sounds more like a hydraulics problem. Have you checked the fluid level in the 50,000 miles you put on the vehicle? There is a little reservoir mounted on the firewall next to the steering shaft penetration. Make sure it is full of Dot 3 brake fluid.
    vaslugger likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Sounds like the clutch. Check the fluid in the clutch cylinder reservoir. Should be mounted on the fire wall close to the brake master. If it's low fill it up and then pump the clutch pedel till it' get's firm again. If that dose it, look for a leaking slave cylinder, or master cylinder. master cylinder usely leaks into the cab under the dash, where the pedal rod go's into the back of the cylinder.. I think the slave cylinder is in the transmission. If it's not your in luck. It will be mounted on the side of the trans. Pull back the rubber boot and see if it's wet. if it's in the trans, look for fluid at the botton of the trans where the trans and motor bolt together. If the slave cylinder is in the trans, you might as well do a clutch, because you have to pull the trans anyway. Hope this helps. You didn't say what year it was?
    vaslugger likes this.
    Team 1894 # 291
    Team 39 # 259
    Team 60 # 164
    Team Bikers # 12 C
    Marlin League # 150

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. --Thomas Jefferson

II Timothy 3: 1-7

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Some of the Fords have a rubber (condom) under the cap for the clutch fluid. After taking the cap off pull out the rubber part in the reservoir before adding brake fluid to the clutch reservoir. I've see people take the cap off and fill the rubber up instead of the reservoir. This reservoir for the clutch fluid is small, about the size of two shot glasses. If the engine is shut off does it shift ok? And when the engine is running does it only shift hard when cold? Does it grind when you try to shift it cold, like the clutch is not lifting it off the pressure plate far enough?

David
    vaslugger likes this.

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #
    200,000 plus miles sounds like it's due for a clutch.... the 4spd in my 74 Chevy pickup is the same way in cold weather, but once it warms up it's fine. It's just old
    vaslugger likes this.
    Team 35 Member #3

Wrangler
    Member #
    Wat kind of oil did you put in the trany GM switched to atf because of complaints of hard shifting in cold weather. gear oil is thick and takes a wile to get warm and lube properly. how cold is it were you are I'm not saying its not your clutch but its something to look into be for you spend alot of money on a clutch. my 1996 Toyota was the same way in the winter I changed to a lighter weight synthetic gear oil and it cured my problem. synthetic gear oil tends to handle temperature change better than regular oil.
    vaslugger likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I hope they put in the recommended oil as all the later year fords I have had owned and worked on take atf as the gear oil is to stiff in the winter. I just put a 5 speed
    a ranger same trans and it had atf. My 87 f 150 called for 50 weight motor oil.
    vaslugger likes this.
    Team 45/70 #587
    30-30 AS
    45/70 1895 GBL

Wrangler
    Member #
    Just want to thank all you guys for the good feedback!To answer a few questions my Bronco is a 1990.Just love the older 4x4,s so much and they had such good metal in them.The hydraulic fluid in it is fine.I had the grease changed and they put in 80w90 and Chiltons calls for 80w.The temperature here in Virginia is super cold right now so to be on the safe side letting it warm up 10 to 15 minutes until I get the money and can put a clutch in it.I feel it might now also be the clutch as well and one thing for sure with 202000 on it its time for one.Motor does not burn one drop of oil and constantly get 20 to 21 mpg on my 23 year old jacked up vehicle. Have never bought anything from Rockauto but they have some good prices on clutches.If anyone has bought from Rockauto are they a reliable and trustworty company to buy from?Anyway thanks so much for the feedback as it always helps to ask questions as this is a great bunch of people on this website! Mike
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links