+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting pelts ready for sale?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Getting pelts ready for sale?

Was wondering how you fellers that sell pelts sell 'em? Do you sell 'em raw and frozen or how? How does price diffirent for shot pelts compared to trapped skins? When do you sell and is it to a local buyer or to a larger meeting?

Just wondering.... .DT

Member #

Re: Getting pelts ready for sale?

You may already know about them, but if not. Try going to "trapper predator caller .com" They put out a magazine which comes out every other month and they have articles on just that sort of thing. I have not done much trapping and was just interested in doing it for fun more than turning a profit. I have really learned alot in the past year in their magazine. i have the October 2010 issue and their is a several page article on "fur handling and preping for sale". Hope this helps.
    Lord, I'm not a violent man , but the guns in my hand !!
    Christian, Conservative, gun-owner and I make no apologies for it!
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

Drivin my life away... Super Moderator
    Member #

I did a lot of trapping when I was a kid...my Grandad felt it was a good way for me to make some spendin money, so he taught me how to do it. (bought my first vehicle with fur money...it was a 1973 jeep)

I trapped mink, muskrat, coon, possum (yes, they bought possum hides, some brought $5), and fox...I sold them stretched over a board, cleaned, salted, and dried...hung in the smokehouse, to a guy that I still see occasionally, but neither of us messes with hides anymore. If I remember right Virgil sold them to somebody in Gate City, VA...but I'm not sure about that.

As far as price difference in shot vs. trapped....as long as the trap didn't grab too high up on the leg, the trapped hides brought more money.

Member #

I'd try to find a local buyer. My local guy will buy em whole and knock off $1.00 per pelt. Worth not skinning them for me. If I do skin them I asked him how he wanted them and skin them his way. I use an old chest freezer and freeze them all, whole or just skins. By the time I drive to the buyer theyve thawed enough for him to look at.
    I always shot any I've ever sold so I dont know if he knocks off some for that or not.
    Team 444 member #317
    Team 45/70 member #87
    Southwestern Indiana

Wrangler
    Member #

It's been an AWWFFFFUUUULLL long time,..but, for what it's worth.
    Back in the day..we would trap and basically save everything and at the end of the winter sell all the hides to one company...and it wasn't the same company each year.

We did mostly muskrat (not much of anything else left in our parts.) But the conobair (I hope I spelled it right...it's been a lot of years) traps were by far the best,...the larger ones are a real pain in the rear to set by yourself. you NEVER loose anything or damage a fur in a conobair because they are dead within a few seconds...Maybe a miniute..tops. (By the way, the largest conobair made will probably do something about the size of a medium fox or beaver,...You are probably not going to get a 70 pound beaver to fit through one of those (if I remember my sizes correctly)

Skin them all (basically peel the skin back inside out) and leave them inside out on a stretcher (steel wire...fairly heavy guage with a lot of spring to it). Once they were dry...we would just put them on the pile..no need to leave them on the stretcher.

Prices....they are more of a comoddity...so prices change all the time...just like oil, corn, and porkbellies.

As far as who to sell to....you'll have to look around and make that judgement for yourself. I think the more furs you have...the more bargaining power you have...if I remember correctly. When you are just starting out...someone who has been in the business for a while will usually buy them from you at a discount and then re-sell them to his buyer....if you need to use that route at least it's a way to start. I remember that it was the easiest extra money at that time (if you could stand the cold).

Ok,
    Clear as mud?
    I didn't know anybody trapped any more. I thought that was all done and gone (except for varmints).
    When I was young in the 1970s...I met an olllllld man who said he trapped the last bear in our parts sometime around 1930 (when he was young).. I didn't even know there were ever any bears around there ...ever.

Good luck
    Puke

Super Moderator
    Member #

It's been A long time. The fur buyer came every wed. to A local gas station. He said he would rather buy the whole animal so they could skin them right.
    Worked for me.
    1895Gunner likes this.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing for he shall not be disapointed

Wrangler
    Member #

We would sometimes leave them in a barrel (frozen...due to winter) , until we had it near full....and then skin them all.

Nobody ever inquired as to buying them without skinning,..That sounds down right odd..but it sure would have been nice.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

So it looks like most everybody on here is posting about "Back in the day" so I'll through my 2 cents in here. I just sold my coyotes and cox about a week age. 25 coyote and 15 fox. All of them had been called and shot and I didn't get docked any because nothing had been in a trap. Just use a gun that doesn't blow a BIG hole in them and sew the bullet holes up before you sell them and you'll be fine. I shoot all my fur either with a 204 ruger shooting 40 grain v-max bullets or my 270 shooting 120 grain barnes banded solids. The biggest bullet holes I get are from the 204 when I hit a rib or something and they are probably about the size of a 50 cent piece. a few minutes with a suture needle and some dental floss and they look good as new. my 270 just pokes little holes in one side and out the other and I don't even worry about sewing them. As for buyers, mine travels a circuit in the winter months and stops here once a month in December, January, February and March. Easy guy to deal with and has always treated e fair.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
    -John Wayne, THE SHOOTIST

Tinhorn
    Member #

Around here in Eastern Ohio there are no country buyers within 40 miles of me . We skin , scrape , and dry all our furs then sell at one of the three Ohio State Trappers Association fur auctions or ship to NAFA in Canada . I really enjoy putting up the pelts , once you learn how to do it , it's not that much hassle . The plus side of putting them up yourself is if you don't like the price offered at the state auctions you can wait for the next sale or take your chances at NAFA . If you have animals in the round or green skinned your options are very limited as you need to sell them very soon .

As far as shot versus trapped pelts go the price difference should be very small unless there are big holes thru the backs . That is where he pelt has its most value . You should not get docked much for a small hole thru the belly or head . On coon pelts if they were run with dogs the value is usually less because they will have bite marks in the backs .

Distinguished Master
    Member #

It also depends on how the buyer want's them skinned and dried or if he want's them raw. When I started out, the buyers wanted coons stretched square, fur on one side and skin on the other. By the time I quit trapping and got a real job, the buyers wanted them all stretched on a board.

They always knocked the price down big time for me when something was shot. Seems they wanted the hides without holes in them.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links