Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Save-a-Shark

554 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  duxnbucks 
#1 ·
I'm reading about the presence of a hammerhead shark (looks to be about 6-8 feet in length) and watching the video of it as it circles the kayaks of two fishermen off the coast of La Jolla CA. Next thing I read is that the local shark experts close the surrounding beaches because the critter followed the kayakers to shore when they returned and that it was displaying aggressive, hunting behavior.

Okay, so it's a shark, looks like a shark and acts like a shark. Why so much concern, since the ocean is full of them?

Then, in the same article, there is a plan to raise money for the protection of a female Great White Shark, named 'Deep Blue' that is pregnant and that the money these shark lovers/researchers raise will be used to protect this particular shark from poachers. Who poaches Great White Sharks in the first place - clue me in here.

What am I missing? How does one go about protecting a wild ocean-going Great White from poachers; just how exactly are the cash donations used to that end?

Would really like to know - anyone got any clues? Or is this just another money-grubbing scam that takes advantage of the idiots that think saving the Great White Shark is a noble endeavor.

Since this is 'Shark Week', actually 'ShweekEnd', I watched a program last evening that claims there is some unknown monster that is hiding in the ocean and is large enough to prey on GWSs. There was an image shown of an 80 foot Blue Whale that had a shark bit on its back just in front of its tail and the researchers said that it had to have been made by a shark that had a bite radius that was 5 feet across.

So we want to protect monsters of the deep . . . really?

Gr8rtst

See less See more
Reactions: BFPGW and moofy07
#8 ·
Didn't say If I liked them or not. Are we a little thin-skinned there,Travis 186 - chill.

Just that I think it's absurd to think that somehow man is superior to them and they need our protection. I used to go to sea a lot when i was younger, so I am familiar with apex predators. And no I don't fear them but have a healthy respect for their ability to eat me!

Gr8rtst

#6 ·
The researchers measured the bite from the image of the whale and guestimated its size but were certain it was a shark bite.

Gr8rtst

Reactions: Texas Shooter
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.