Marlin Firearms Forum banner

First model 60

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  neorebel 
#1 ·
My first mod. 60 was found today,I have a Glenfield75,and I have a 989 m2 ,I have lots of Marlins,however this is the first actual mod.60,I wanted the full length rifle but,with a clip,so...my plans are to convert it to a clip feed and convert two mags to 4 shot mags that won't get in the way of my hand shooting N.Y.rimfire Sporter comp.next year ( this year just finished I bagged "3rd Male Senior")I shot that using A J.C.Higgins model 31 which is tube fed and has no provision for mags at all,loading two rds.at a time is a pain in a tube,especially if you slip and the tube springs out down range causing a cease fire( I know!) it is a great rifle,and did a great job ,I hope the 60 does as well,I used a 25 mn before that but after using a semi the bolt is boring and requires acquiring a a check weld at each shot,instead of every 2 shots,I may use it for Appleseed comp.also if I can get enough interest in my club.

#2 · (Edited)
While I believe that it is possible to convert a 60 to a removable, box-type magazine feed, it's a lot of work and expense.
Someone over on Rimfire Central was talking about doing it, and got talked out of it.
The overwhelming opinion was "Why?" because when you are done, all you have is a model 795.
The choice is, of course, yours.

#3 ·
While I believe that it is possible to convert a 60 to a removable, box-fed magazine feed, it's a lot of work and expense.
Someone over on Rimfire Central was talking about doing it, and got talked out of it.
The overwhelming opinion was "Why?" because when you are done, all you have is a model 795.
The choice is, of course, yours.
:dito: yep! 795s are cool little guns. and the price is right.

#6 · (Edited)
It costs about 20-30$ in parts Topsand a little woodwork unless I luck out and find a stock for a clip fed model then the price of a stock labor not free but I can cheat myself out of the pay.
The 795 is stuck with that short ass barrel too,to say nothing of the plastic stock.
i don't pay shipping from Numrich,I drive by once a week it's about a 45 min. Drive and it is amazing what you can get by actually being there,nothing like it used to be when they had the store but still better than the phone.

#7 ·
The actual cost of the total parts needed is about 55.00,however some may not be needed ,some I have in my stash of parts,( I'm not really a stranger to this action,I have worked on a few)the parts that I do need are the mag.guide,mag. Latch and the pin and a couple of mags,later ,to shorten.thats about $20,if I could find a walnut Marlin stock to suit.?

#8 ·
I acquired the Marlin Mod.60 it was in good shape with some wood dings and scrapes ,it had the stickers on it which were carefully removed and saved stock is refinished same basic color but now you can see the glow of the wood grain,"Randy "targeted it back in 1990 according to the sticker,it is now a clip fed model and functions flawlessly ,the feed tube is still there as an ammo storage area but I don't know how long as I am not sure it aids in accuracy. I Also pillar bedded the action,further action work is pending to reduce the trigger pull and make it more amenable to match work,as you can see I have been busy with this rifle.just wanted to you in with progress,parts $20 finish materials $15 labor -yeah!

#11 ·
The main reason behind the conversion is for some reason Marlin has made far less rifle length (22" barrels ) with clip feed,call me old fashioned but I like .22's  with longer barrels,wood stocks and blued steel ,this is an advantage when switching to iron sights and aperture sights should I choose to shoot in those classes ,the main reason. ,however,is ,long barrels just look better.

#12 ·
I just picked up two Model 60's for $150 for both. One Glenfield made in 1976 and a 1992 Marlin. They needed a little cleaning up but it is soooo easy to take them apart to clean and reassemble. I stripped the stock of the Marlin and left the Glenfield alone. The Glenfield was in really good shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.