Tactical Levers? A debate.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Tactical Levers? A debate.....

Deadeye
    Member #

Tactical Levers? A debate.....

Hello. Good news everyone, seems to me your lever gun is already tactical. Most are short and light, can fire an effective cartridge and are mechanically reliable. They are easy to strip without special tools and can lay down fairly effective rapid fire. They were designed tactical.

You see in my opinion, tacticool is often overdone (not just on levers). If you want to fit all sorts of whistles and bells to your lever, go for it. Its your gun, your money. However how much of it is really going to improve your performance? Ask yourself the question. The late great Mel Tappin in Survival Guns, (a book I almost actually ate as a young man) said shooters tend to buy just about anything that looks promising. He was right, cause its fun. But for what improvement, exactly?

I respectfully suggest before buying or fitting extra bits we ask ourselves why we need it and what it will achieve. Some are just silly, others seem small but can make a big difference. Keep in mind with guns the more complicated we make them the more training and practice is required, the more to go wrong...

Remember: KISS

So, what extras help, and what extras not so much, and what extras just look cool (no harm in that by the way).
    gunscrewguy, Vooch and Owen49 like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Team Enfield No.42 - The finest battle rifle of both world wars.

'I am going to live forever, or die trying' Groucho.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    The same can be said about nearly any other hobby and guns are no exception. As an example, they say fishing lures catch more fishermen than they do catching fish. The same can be said for gun doodads and the black rifle world is full of them. I would like to face punch the guy that coined the term tacticool, how stupid.

With lever guns people have strong opinions and some really get their panties in a bunch over something as silly as adding a scope. Never mind those of us that are into NFA stuff like suppressors or short barrel rifles. I modify my guns to suit my own needs and don't need affirmation nor approval from anyone else.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Good, valid point kingstrider, but few hobbies are likely to be called upon to defend your and your families lives. Toys are fun, guns can be fun but are not toys.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Team Enfield No.42 - The finest battle rifle of both world wars.

'I am going to live forever, or die trying' Groucho.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    Good, valid point kingstrider, but few hobbies are likely to be called upon to defend your and your families lives. Toys are fun, guns can be fun but are not toys.
    Not sure where you're going with this thread but that is stating the obvious. Only fools fail to respect the capability of a firearm and it doesn't matter how many bells & whistles it has. My lever guns are mostly used for punching paper or killing game but are capable of filling other roles if and when needed. That said, I would take an AR15 or M1 over a lever gun any day of the week in a SHTF scenario. Just curious but can you own semi- or fully-automatic rifles over there? Or is the lever gun the most 'tactical' thing big brother will let you have?
    Neon Horse, BFPGW and gunscrewguy like this.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    The first tactical accessory purchase for any firearm should be at least 1,000 rounds for practice. Then figure out if any improvements are needed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Don't worry 'bout the mule, just load the wagon." Unknown

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    The same can be said about nearly any other hobby and guns are no exception. As an example, they say fishing lures catch more fishermen than they do catching fish. The same can be said for gun doodads and the black rifle world is full of them. I would like to face punch the guy that coined the term tacticool, how stupid.

With lever guns people have strong opinions and some really get their panties in a bunch over something as silly as adding a scope. Never mind those of us that are into NFA stuff like suppressors or short barrel rifles. I modify my guns to suit my own needs and don't need affirmation nor approval from anyone else.

Looks like you were actually able to get a diversified machine suppressor. Been on the email list for about a year now!
    Owen49 and gunscrewguy like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    Looks like you were actually able to get a diversified machine suppressor. Been on the email list for about a year now!
    Actually the only part from DM is the end cap and that was heavily modified on my lathe.
    Now the can is complete I need to update the build thread: Project Stainless Rossi .357 “Lever Scout” SBR
    Owen49 and gunscrewguy like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I took a 20" Rossi 44 Mag and turned it into a 16" barrel with a 3/4 mag tube because I liked the balance. Skinner peep sights completed the package and it is good to go as far as I am concerned. About 2.000 rounds through it now, it does what I need it to do.

Marlin Marksman
    Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away
    Member #
    My tactical lever is a bit more basic:

The ENEMY Is Listening
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I guess I would be called 'Tacti-Geek'. My minimalist taste tends to be classic as in Vietnam era style with basic improvements that help without adding too much weight or having this or that getting in the way. I was indoctrinated by Jeff Cooper.

AC
    tranteruk, Joe in Fl and BFPGW like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links