Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Got a 1953 39a

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  pokey 
#1 ·
Traded my $100 336 and a $40 scope for a 1953 39a. A lot of my friends think I got the worse of the deal but I haven't seen a local 39a for less then $375 around here and run across 30-30s for $150 - $300 all the time. A little rough but shoots great. I'm happy. :biggrin:

#2 ·
I for one dont think you hurt yourself, and i know what they sell for. Heck let them think what they want, all your friends here at MO know the truth... :biggrin:

Congrats, and dont forget the pics :tee:

BloodGroove4570

PS
Do any of those friends that think you got ripped have a 39 they want to trade for a 336, i have a couple 336's to trade :driver: serious.

#3 ·
Sounds like a great deal to me. Now weeeeee need pics.:biggrin:

#7 ·
If you trade out of what you don't want/need for what you do? Good trade!

39As are valuable guns and worth every penny.

#10 ·
Kym, that looks so much like mine, when I got it, it's scary. It's great that it has a few dings and love marks on it. Oddly, the first one is the only one anyone remembers! That's the one that *really* hurts.

#12 ·
Sweet lookin' rifle, KYM. Looks like it has a lot of personality. I think you'll find it a lot more fun than the 336. By the way, welcome to the MO forum. You can find out just about anything you want to know about your 39A here.

#13 ·
Same year as mine, much darker wood, though. I think you'll find that, though your $40 scope is probably still worth that (or less), your 336 will have appreciated to significantly more than a C-note. But you didn't come up short on the deal.

Looks like it's got that barn gun look, was it? A complete strip and cleaning should be next. 6 decades of rimfire crap lurks in there. Look under the wood for rust. Remove with light oil and extra-fine steel wool or bronze wool, WD40 works for this.

Stan S.

#14 ·
I think it's a beautiful rifle. A bit of rust just means that the fellas here won't yell at you for re-bluing it if you ever get that urge. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.