Marlin Firearms Forum banner

At what distance do you sight in your .22LR rifle?

28K views 32 replies 30 participants last post by  TwinMarlin 
#1 ·
What .22LR rifle and with what sights do you zero in :
[HR][/HR]for hunting ?[HR][/HR]for plinking ?[HR][/HR]for targets ?[HR][/HR]for all around shooting ?

#2 ·
My scopes are zeroed at 50 yards for all around shooting.

#3 ·
My savage bolt action has peep sights and is zeroed for 50m benchrest target shooting. My M60 is scoped and zeroed for 60m, i use it for general plinking out to 100m. Papoose i keep zeroed for 25m with irons, it's my foraging /survival type camping fun gun... If i can ever get the light strike issue sorted out.

all around 60m is decent.

#4 ·
The scoped ones are zeroed at 35 yards. The peep sighted ones are zeroed at 75 yards. The ones with barrel mounted rear sights are zeroed at 25 yards.

M

#7 ·
jackdaniels :biggrin: 2 Marlin 60 are 2" high at 100yds and so is my bull barrel 10/22... Yeah tis true, They are my sage rat gun and seems shots from 75-150yds are common but 300-400yds happen :hmmmm: 3X9, 4.5X14 and 6X24 scopes.
My bolt action at about 75yds with iron site.

#9 ·
39A 50 yards,77/22 100 yards(better scope)I'm beginning to think the 39A is every bit as accurate as the 77/22 Ruger.

#11 ·
Heh, right now mine has been zero'd at 43 yards for quite a while, simply because that's how far it is from a rock to a certain tree in the meadow where I shoot.

Finally got a measuring wheel and I'm going to give it an honest 50 yard zero, but from what I've seen with my fav. ballistic program, the difference between 43 and 50 yards isn't much.

#17 ·
My iron sighted .22LR rifles are zeroed at 25 yards... My .22 handguns are sighted for 50 feet - - just shy of 17 yards. The one scoped .22LR rifle that I have is zeroed dead-nut at 50 yards. The peep sighted target rifle is normally zeroed for 25 yards, and eight clicks or so of elevation (depending on ammo) takes me to 50 yards.

#18 ·
I zero scoped rifle +1" @50 yds - red dot sighted pistol is +1.5"@25yds

#19 ·
I only do paper. My scoped 22's are zeroed for 50 yds. except for the tricked-out 10/22 which is 100. The iron sighted ones with whatever kind of sights are set to hit the center of a 4"bull's eye at 50 yards when using the 6 o'clock hold. At further distances, where the same 4"bull I can't see as well, I use center hold and it more or less works out I hit the center (sometimes!).

#23 ·
I zero almost all my rifle scopes at 100 M since that is the most common target distance I shoot at the Range. My .223 and .308 rifles are zeroed at 200M. Our max distance is 250M at the range.

I do wonder why some of you say you zero HIGH in various amounts? When I ZERO my scopes at those distances that means I am putting the crosshairs smack dab in the middle of the bullseye.

GB45

#26 ·
For 22 lr I use a 75 yd zero for my 39AS and 981TS shooting CCI 40 gr Velocitors. That puts me about 1/2" high at 25 yds and 3/4" high at 50 yards. I have scopes on both rifles now. Occasionally I put the Skinner peep back on the 39 and zero it for 50 yds.

For 22 mag out of my 983 shooting CCI 40gr Maxi-Mag HP ammo, I zero at 100 yards. That gives me about 1/2 - 3/4" high at 50 yards.

The Federal Champion 22 lr , 40 gr bulk round nose shoot slightly less flat than the CCIs but I just add a bit of holdover instead of resetting the scopes.

To me the best way to get things set up was simply to try different zeros and shoot enough rounds to become real familiar with how each gun shoots with the different ammo at different distances. I have pretty much settled on the CCI Velocitors for 22 lr hunting ammo and the bulk Federal lead RN for plinking and paper.

#27 ·
I sight in for 50yds 22LR High Velocity will be about 1/2" low a few feet out of the muzzle, dead on at 25 yds & 50 yds 1/2" high in between and 1/2" low at about 56 yds - thats a hit on a squirrel head all the way out. At 75 yds the bullet is about 1 1/2" low, sight a little high on the back and that's a chest shot. Beyond that? Well, in thick Conn. woods you probably wouldn't see a squirrel anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.