Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Loctite on scope base mounts, yes or no?

27K views 42 replies 39 participants last post by  gonzo 
#1 ·
Soon I will be mounting a new scope on my 35 Rem. It sounds like the red loctite is the one to use. It also sounds like a hair dryer will help if I someday need to remove it.

However, I've noticed that some claim it's not necessary to use loctite.

So, what do you think? Should I use it or not? If not, what's your reasoning behind it? Thanks.

#2 ·
Had a bad experiance w/ lock-tite once (non gun related) have used clear fingernail polish for years @ years 2 years... give it a try.

#5 ·
TranceX said:
Soon I will be mounting a new scope on my 35 Rem. It sounds like the red loctite is the one to use. It also sounds like a hair dryer will help if I someday need to remove it.

However, I've noticed that some claim it's not necessary to use loctite.

So, what do you think? Should I use it or not? If not, what's your reasoning behind it? Thanks.
NOOOOOO!

Red is high temp. Use green or blue if anything.

#9 ·
For scope mounts, bases, etc. There is a locktite that is removabale, but it still requires a solvent of some sort to loosen it up for removal. If you are concerned or there is a question, I would recommend finger nail polish. To get a good adhesion with fingernail polish, clean the male and female threaded surfaces with a good cleaner/solvent (brakeleen or similar) that leaves no oil residue. Let it dry clean then apply the fingernail polish. For removal of those screws secured with fingernail polish, Ed's Red will soften it up and make removal a breeze.

#10 ·
I've mounted scopes for years and have never had one work loose. As someone else posted, get a pipe cleaner and dip it into brake kleen, acetone, lighter fluid, and degrease the threads in the base holes on the rifle and the screws. Then tighten good and snug but not so snug as to strip threads. That should do it.
If you're bent on using a thread locker then there's a Loctite product marketed by Uncle Mike's called GunTite. It's probably just the blue locktite because it is definitely is blue in color. It's available at several gun supply houses Midway being one for which I'm inserting a link below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=241171

#11 ·
I'm with drypowder, I clean the threads with brake cleaner on a Q-tip, let them dry, then use a dab of fingernail polish on each screw. Works as well as blue Loc-Tite, costs a lot less and is easier to remove. And you can pick whatever color matches your eyes! :D

#13 ·
TranceX, if you're going to use something to secure the scope mount screws, use BLUE loctite or clear fingernail polish. Red loctite will be very hard to remove the screws at a later time. Clean the screw holes and screws with a cleaning solventg and let dry then use whichever method you choose to secure threads.

#16 ·
Warhawk said:
Blue, I have used Red in the past and it's not all *THAT* difficult to get loose.
I don't disagree with you, but there have been times when I found
it necessary to make fixes in the field ( ie. at camp) when proper
tools, equipment, and lighting were not available. Not fun dealing
with stuck screws under those circumstances.

Regards.

#17 ·
I'm not saying to use Loctite or not. I just wanted to add that the thread locker you want to use is called "Small Parts Fastener". The name used by Loctite is "Loctite 222". On the last job I had for 16 years I used the different kinds of Loctite almost everyday. The 222 is not as aggressive as say 626 and can be removed fairly easily by heating the screw and surrounding area with a heat gun prior to removal.

Cary

#20 ·
Red is for stuff you don't want to have come loose - ever! The front grip frame screw on my Ruger Black Hawk use to loosen up under recoil, I put Blue Locktite on the screw and have run some pretty heavy loads through the gun without anything loosening up; and I was able to remove the screw without very much trouble. Locktite is good, but if you use it - USE BLUE!

#21 ·
Blue loctite on all the screws. I have done this since 1990 when a loose mount cost me a 7 pt buck that my brother shot after I missed. The red can be removed with heat, it's not that difficult.

#22 ·
Step #1 degrease the screw holes!

Step #2 apply BLUE LocTite to threads of screws! Only BLUE-NO OTHER!

Step #3 Tighten screws firmly while tapping top of screwdriver lightly to seat threads!

Note that LocTite is not meant to GLUE the screws to the screw holes----it is only meant to prevent the screws from backing out due to vibration!

Hip

#23 ·
I've used the Guntite before on some stout bolt guns but never on levers. I believe it has Uncle Mikes on the tube if I remember correctly. It's light blue in color and holds well and is easy to remove. It does leave a funky residue on the screws that can be removed with a little oil. Never have used any type of loctite on lever gun mounts. I did some scope swapping on an old lever before this deer season and checked the mount screws. They were still tight and that's after many, many rounds and years of carrying in the wooods. I like the Leupold std base and rings. I've just tightened them down and let 'em ride.

Muddawg

#24 ·
In 1989 I had a job repairing printers for major accounts (Welfare, Pension, Social Security paycheck for fortune 550 ect). We basically got sent to all types of seminars as we needed to repair these printers as cheaply and correctly ever time. The epson repair man gave me several greases and a big tube on niji lock. I think it is green lock tite.

Never used anything else. Clean threads, a little dab of niji lock and tighten. With consistent and steady pressure you can back it out but it takes a bit of time to come out. No reheat needed but it will work.

I have contender pistols with not 2 but 4 scope rings for 35 rem 200 grains loads. Thats the next step if the niji lock does not work.

Not a close up but look carefully and you can see the 4 rings on the 35 barrel.

#25 ·
I don't have a single rifle that I have needed loctite on. 45-70, 444, 300 win mag, 325 WSM for some of the bigger cals and several from there down. I have never had a scope or base work loose. I usually just torq them down and I'm good to go. there were times shooting Ranch Dogs postal match that I would shoot 500+ rounds of 45-70 in a summer, full house loads. If a scope or base was gonna work loose that should have done it.

#26 ·
Red Locktite is supposed to be removed by applying heat. DO NOT USE IT!!! I use blue Locktite to my scope bases. I haven't used polish but it would probably also work. Lonnie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.