Marlin Firearms Forum banner

45/70 paper pached bullets

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  janott 
#1 ·
on gunbroker

#2 ·
We have a great site in the LODGE, under paper patch bullets if you are interested in learning how to make and load your own. It's a neat wonderful feeling to not only cast your own bullets but even better to patch them and harvest game with it. ;D

Check it out, Joe 8)

#3 ·
I dont know much bout reloading bu t i'm learning more and more just reading this forum. I'm in the process of getting everything i need for reloading so please forgive my ignorance, but what are paper patch bullets?

#4 ·
Basically it was the first jacketed bullet that appeared around 1870 and was used much until around 1900 and only disappeared due to the easier to produce copper jacketed bullets of today. Instead of the copper jacket around the lead core you have a paper jacket which engages the rifling much like copper and is a barrier between the barrel and the lead. The paper also serves as a seal to prevent gasses from escaping around the bullet. When the paper jacketed bullet exits the barrel the jacket is lost and then you have a lead bullet en rout to your target. You will have no leading with a properly patched bullet and you will be able to shoot at much higher velocities than if just shooting plain lead. I have not pushed my PPB's as fast as others but according to Paul Matthews they should be able to travel to 2200 feet per second and maybe a tad faster.
A good book to start with is the Paper Jacket by Paul Matthews and they just went back in to print through Wolfe publishing.
Paper Patch Bullets were almost a lost art but thanks to several people that never gave up because they knew what they had to offer the PPB's are still with us.

Thanks, Joe 8)

#6 ·
I have been reloading paper patch bullets for my 45-70 for over 10 years now. I use them in my Shiloh Sharps and my Buffalo classic single shot. I don't like using them in my Marlin, because they make cleaning up the lever action a real chore.

Here is a very good read. http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introduction to BPCR Loading.pdf

#7 ·
I use paper patched bullets in my 1895 45-70 and not had problems with a difficult cleaning situation. I wonder if the paper (I use onion skin #24) and the lube on the paper (I use Rooster liquid lube) make a difference? What paper and lube do you use?

#8 ·
Tim, Redhawk might be using black powder in his Sharps, and Buffalo Classic. That's what i figured he meant... talking about the clean up being more difficult.

Killed my first buck this year using a PPB.
There are several good reasons to use paper patched bullets, but what i like the most, is that pure lead can be used without leading the bore.

#9 ·
+1 to IMR, and it sounds like Redhawk1 is probably using BP, I have used both smokeless and BP in my 1895 but prefer to use smokeless especially when hunting and away from a more desired place to clean. I have also used both powders on my Sharps.
I also harvested a deer last fall with a PPB and I did it with my 1895CB ;D I like all reasons for using paper patched bullets, you can shoot pure lead, little to no fouling, cleanup is easier and accuracy is a +, I also like to tinker at the loading bench and rolling my own PPB's gives me more time for this.

Joe 8)

#10 ·
Sorry about not being clear, but yes I was talking about using paper patch bullets with black powder. I would not have any other reason to shoot them except with black powder.

With smokeless, I use hard cast gas checked bullets. Just makes more sense to me. Most paper patched bullets are way longer than hard cast bullets. I use 500 to 550 gr. Too long to work in the action of my Marlin's.

The bullets I use in my paper patch bullets are pure lead, very soft, you do not want to drive them too fast anyways.

#11 ·
Redhawk1,

I have been shooting PPB's in my 45-70 1895CB and my 1874 Sharps, and like all other calibers that I reload for I use different weights of bullets. One in particular is the cast pistol bullets that weigh 270 grains. I patch them and load as you would your PPB's only these I have loaded down with pistol powder and they are quiet and travel at 770FPS, this load is carried in a separate case for small game that I come across in the field. I have also loaded other weights all the way to 530 grains. This winter I will be working on PPB's for the 7mm Mauser, 22 Hornet and 338 Winchester magnum. I have already developed loads in my 30-30 with PPB's. The length of the bullet should not matter although the longer the better for accuracy. The shortest PPB's that I have ever heard of are the 22-10 which would have been very short in overall length.

Joe 8)

#12 ·
I guess the reason I loaded paper patched bullets was, they just go will with the Sharps rifles.
I find load development easier with hard cast bullets in my Marlins, and a lot less work. I never use smokeless in my paper patch cartridges.

#13 ·
Redhawk1 I guess the reason I loaded paper patched bullets was said:
Try the smokeless, I do both in the Sharps but prefer smokeless for time. I can wait a day or more to clean if using smokeless but if I use BP it is a must do now ::) I do like the accuracy from good BP loads but I can get the same with smokeless.
I have shot BP in my 1895 but was very careful and cleaned it very good. The only thing I have shot in the 1895 this year has been PPB's with smokeless powder. I shot a mule deer buck with my 1895CB and a Lee 500 grain FN that I turned in to a PPB, pictures and details are in the paper patch bullet forum in the Lodge.

Joe 8)

#15 ·
Montanan Here is a great said:
Making, Loading, Shooting, and Hunting with Paper Patched Bullets[/url]

When I was into BPCR I followed Brents way of doing things.
Thanks Montanan, That is useful information to have and in a list is great. ;D Thanks, Joe 8)

#16 ·
I agree, Joe. That's a good site for paper patching, though it's a little different in the way we do it for our leverguns.... too much paper to get caught in the loading port.

Thanks Montanan. ;)

#17 ·
That is true but being experienced loaders each of us should know to adjust the wrap of our paper jacketed bullets to be either off of the chamber just kissing the rifling, or in the use of lever guns, just out of the mouth of the case being loaded. By accident I seated some paper jackets just inside the case and they performed fine, but I like the paper just visible for identification.

Thanks, Joe 8)

#18 ·
I used to use paper cartages in my .54 shilo sharps

#19 ·
buffgun,

We have a PPB forum in the LODGE. ;D come share your knowledge. Thanks, Joe 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.