+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Sharps 45-70 or 45-90

I have been lookng around lately and considering getting one, but I have found more brands than I knew existed and a wide price range also. I have also noticed most manufacturers are showing wait times from 10 to 24 months or more. I have seen some in Cabelas in the past, but never really was interested at the time so I did not pay much attention as to what they were (brand,price, etc.) I am just looking for any advice someone may have as to good prices or brands that may be available. Before I started researching I was figureing on $1000.00 to about $1500.00, but I have not seen many in that price range and am not sure where to look for possibly a used one. I appreciate any info on the subject, thanks.
    Lord, I'm not a violent man , but the guns in my hand !!
    Christian, Conservative, gun-owner and I make no apologies for it!
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Re: Sharps 45-70 or 45-90

If you can get to Big Timber Montana you could probably pick up an 1874 Sharps over the counter from C-Sharts or Shiloh. They are not far from each other and the 45-70 is more available than the other calibers. Plus more reloading data is available for the 45-70 and you can shoot either smokless or black powders. I have seen some loads in smokless for the longer cases but the 45-70 is capable of anything that they can do at a much cheaper price.
    Some of the Itialian Sharps are made very good so if money becomes a problem then you have another avenue. I myself prefer the American made but I do own a Pedredi Sharps that shoots very well. Not sure but Pedredi is part of Pedersoli and I am not sure if I have spelled the name correctly. My 1874 has a very sweet double set trigger.
    If you think the rifles are expensive wait until you start purchasing creedmore sights and replace the front sight with a globe level sight.

Joe
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Member #

I looked at the sites you mentioned and then found a list of manufacturers also on the BPCR site and although I have not visited them all yet. I did find a possible gun on the Cabela's site. It is a Pendersoli "hunter" in 45-70 for $899.00, not sure if it is actually available but I think I will go and look when I get off work next week. The add says it is the same barrel, action quality as the other more expensive Pendersolli's just in a plain package to make it more affordable as an entry level gun. This is more the price range I was looking for, it leaves me room to get a really good set of sights. I just wonder if it really is the same barrel as the more expensive models. Plain I can live with and actually prefer, I use my guns. I just don't want to find the accuracy is lacking because it is actually not the same grade barrel and action. Does anyone have any info on this model? Thanks.
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

I do not have any information, but I am sure that it is no less in quality as far as chamber and rifling than the more expensive model. Probably the only difference is in the quality of finish on it and it more than likely has cheaper sights. The barrrel probably is not buffed to a high gloss smooth finish before bluing.

Joe
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Sidewinder
    Member #

I just got a email from EMF they have a sale going on the Pendersoli Silhoute is $1400 so thats $300 off.
    I'm going to do the same thing a Pendersoli Sharps in 45-70 Probably should just get a 1895 but I like black powder in 45-70.
    http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Sharp-c127.htm
    U S Navy Retired CPO & NRA Lifmember

Member #

I just got a subscription to Black Powder Cartridge News and if anyone is interested in a Sharps type rifle or the big black powder cartridge rifle, this is the place for lots of info. They can be reached at www.blackpowderspg.com Thanks for the info on EMF I will sure take a look.
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

Deadeye
    Member #

Not sure if you called them, or got the wait times from the web sites. Don't always believe the wait times posted on the web sites, I recently ordered a couple of rifles from C. Sharps. When I phoned them, I believe the wait time they quoted me was 90 days. They actually completed the rifles in a little under that. According to the tracking info, I ought to have 'em in my hands on Thursday I suspect that these speed bumps in the economy have reduced the wait times a bit. Also, they (and Shiloh) will have rifles on the rack that might suit your needs.

Good luck.

Chris.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I looked at all those Sharps, decided Id get a $350 H&R Buffalo Classic without the $1000 bucks of pretty on it.
    Company
    Always on the run, Destiny is the rising sun
    I was born six gun in my hand
    Behind a gun, I'll make my final stand

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Here is my 1874 Cabela's bought Pedersoli Sporting Rifle in .45-70. If you are going to shoot a lot of BP, get the .45-90, if not, get the .45-70, unless you just want the coolness factor. Ammo in in the last pic, 480 Lyman, 20.0 grains of 2400 powder.

fk
    Member #

I have a 1874 Sharps made by Pedersoli and it is a beautiful accurate rifle with a 32" barrel in caliber 45-70. I would have bought an American made rifle but ran into a deal during the times when the 1874's were selling at a preminum. I don't see any difference in the American and Itialian quality. If I ever get enough money together I would like to take it Buffalo Hunting. So until then just shoot it at the range. Would be a nice rifle to shoot long range but the ranges with long distances are few and far away. So 100 and 200yds will be my practice.

"fk"
    NRA Life Member
    US Army Veteran
    Team 32 Special #13 (little scary huh)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links