Ordered sights for Rossi 62 SA, considering flat takedown case
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Century Limited
  • 1 Post By kingstrider

Thread: Ordered sights for Rossi 62 SA, considering flat takedown case

Tinhorn
    Member #

Ordered sights for Rossi 62 SA, considering flat takedown case

I have Skinner Sights on several of my Marlins and love them, so it just came natural that I would put them on my newly acquired Rossi 62 SA. Unknown to me, Rossi has a larger dovetail so I could not use an extra barrel mount sight I picked up along the way.
    Since I had never searched for such a sight on Skinner's site, I felt foolish when I asked on another board what people use for sights on the Rossi. They said Skinner has the larger dovetailed sights available. YES!

I proceeded to go to the site and had over $250 worth of stuff in cart. Many of these are items I figure I will use later and will save shipping cost and wait time. I was about to place order when I read that one should allow 2 weeks for the flat takedown case, and not sure if it would be random color. Since I was unsure of whether I could get by with 26" case or need to go to 28" (which I think I do, but reason for buying is to get it as compact as possible), I decided to leave that out for now and inquire on whether anyone else has used this particular case for their rossi 62 or Winchester 62 if same length and how they liked it. I would be just taking gun to range across town and would prefer smaller one as I also have a Marlin Papoose that I could use it for as well as a couple 39A's including a Century Limited. I figure I can order a case once the 22/45 sights become available and I have the available funds. It really isn't a problem using a standard rifle case, but is just another WANT.

It seems that I no more than placed my order and the site background changed. Unfortunately not to add the Ruger 22/45 sight though. I just hope that one of my extras I ordered will not delay order for an extended time, as I am anxious to shoot the rifle. I really wish that there were true inventory available so one could skip what was out of stock. Maybe the expansion will eventually allow that to happen.

Any input of the flat takedown would be appreciated. Maybe the gun would be better protected assembled in my standard case that cost 1/4 the price, but I believe that the Skinner product would give sufficient protection.

Not a Marlin, but a descendant of John Moses Browning design. I do not feel one can go wrong with gun from either John.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owen49 likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I never realized how good those rossi were back when they were in gun store racks decades ago, the 62's and early 1892 copies just looked a little off compared to the super finely refined remington's and winchesters, Today they still function perfectly and early ones in good shape command top money. nice rifle there. I would just put it in gun sock or regular soft case till you get the case you want if your worried about it getting beat up.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Nice gun, I bought an old Rossi 92 last year for $200 at a pawn shop and think they are great guns for the money.
    94win30wcf likes this.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I just picked the rifle up a couple weeks ago. I have plenty of 40" gun cases that the rifle fits nicely in. Broken down the longest part is just over 26 inches long, assembled just under 40. Truth be told, my daughter turns 21 end of next week and I plan on giving her the choice between this rifle with Skinner sights installed and a case, or a beautiful Stainless Steel Ruger Bearcat with adjustable sights. I feel the pistol more appropriate for 21st as age when you can buy a handgun. I am unsure if she would enjoy shooting single actions as much as I do or if she'd prefer a rifle. Either way, we will both have access to them for awhile and can both enjoy them.

If I give her the rifle, I would like to have her name embroidered on a nice case, just as I did when I gave her a Browning B92 44 mag rifle for her high school graduation in a Boyt case with her name embroidered on it. I am hoping the sights come by her birthday, but as I mentioned in first post, I generally have at least one item that delays shipment. I have front sights on the order that are only made in batches on occasion. I hear Andy provides great customer service, but also states not to call with inquiries on order and that cases are shipped random color. I want to be a good customer. I just wish that there were a local store that stocked the Skinner items that one could look at and buy immediately.

I ran about one hundred rounds of 22 short and 22 LR through the rifle and it functioned great and was fun to shoot. I expect it to be even more fun when I have sights that accommodate my eyes.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I bought one of those 62As with octagon barrel sometime in the early 90s. It has a real nice trigger and, though I had/have lots and lots of .22s, including heavy barrel "match" grade guns, that little Rossi outshoots em all with just about any ammo.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links