+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Dovetail mounted peep sight

At the request of a customer, I made a fairly universal dovetail mounted sight. It is designed for a Ruger 10-22, but will work on any rifle with a dovetail on the barrel. I know the opinion out there is that a peep sight needs to be close the the eye to work. My experience on several rifles is different. While I agree that it is best to have the peep as close to the eye as possible, I find that my accuracy is significantly better with a peep mounted on the barrel than it is with a buckhorn sight. I have used a peep sight mounted on the barrel with my Winchester 94, my Cimmaron Arms Lightning, and now with a Ruger 10-22. Anyway, Here are a couple of pictures.
    I would be interested in any feedback.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: Dovetail mounted peep sight

I think this more compact dovetail peep looks cleaner and more rugged than the other dovetail mounted peep you offer . Next rifle I buy will be a old Winchester Model 62 or the Rossi replica .22 rimfire and I would definatly like a sight as pictured instead of the standard open sight .

Perhaps a strange thought ? but could these could be modified / adapted for those that want a all metal front aperture in conjunction with the rear peep !

regards Jacko
    "Too my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Member #

I've actually done that for a customer. I have not heard back from him yet on how it worked.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Edmund Burke

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

For those who are skeptical. I held a archery peep on top of the buchorn rear sight and the sight picture was real nice.Thats funny Tim cause I just tried the archery peep thing yesterday. I like that sight.
    Daryl

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Good Morning Dr. Tim Finally got to the range yesterday with my Ruger 10-22 that you made the bbl. mounted peep for me. Can't tell you how happy I am with this sight. It mounted easily, looks good and improved my shooting tremendously. I was able to use the factory front with the rear sight turned up 1 1/2 revolutions. Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me and making me a sight that is not part of your regular line. Would highly recommend this sight to replace the factory bbl mounted on any rifle that a receiver mount isn't "right" for. Shelby Chastain

Member #

Shelby,
    Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm going to make a few to have in my inventory.
    Tim
    Edmund Burke

Member #

How would this sight work on a 24" barreled 45/70? or is the dovetail too far from the shooters eye on gun of that size? What sized aperture would be 'best'?
    My rifles: 336C 30-30; 1948 SC 32WinSp; 1950 SC 30-30; 1952 SC 35Rem; 1955 SC 30-30; 1957 336A 35Rem; 1963 SC 35Rem; 336 ZG; 1895 45-70; 1895 Ctry LTD; 1895 XLR-20"; 1895 GBL; 1895 LTD-II; 1895 LTD-V, 2008 338 MXLR, 2008 338 MX
    The arrows in my quiver: Calvin 13, Christianna 11, Colin 9
    Team 45/70 #101

When things get tough, I go to ballistic therapy

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Wow, that's a neat sight. Was looking at your other dovetail sight for my Henry ,and stashing my nickels for one. What's the price on that new one you came up with?
    The world is much better with a pair of calipers.
    Team 30-30 member #258

Member #

The new one is the same price. $45
    Edmund Burke

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links