+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ladder Peep sight for 1894, 1895 and 336 rifles

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

More info

The ladder sight peep is a bit lower than most rear sights when in its lowest position. This means it can be used in place of the usual rear sight.

Tim
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Ladder Peep sight for 1894, 1895 and 336 rifles

If you have an integral sight in the down position, an XS scout scope mount could be installed if someone wanted to have an optics option. Something like the sight on an AR-15 (a peep when down and the moveable sight when up?) might work for those who want both.

Member #

ladder sight design

You are correct on the sight when folded down. I just have not been able to figure out a clean way to put one on the ladder sight that is useful and looks good. If I get time this weekend, I have some ideas.

Thanks for the input.

Tim
    Edmund Burke

Tinhorn
    Member #

I agree. I would be highly interested in this sight if you find a clean way to add a peep to the top when in the down position. An idea I have been dreaming of is also from an AR-15. Locate an L shaped pivoting double peep in a low profile set of wings similar to Brockman or WWG. In one position it would have a low height ring, fold it 90 degrees and a taller ring is available. I know adjustability would be an issue, but if I could have one where the low ring was dead-on at 50 yds, and with the flick of my thumb have it fold backward (or forward), bringing up the other ring to be right on somewhere between 150-200 yards, I would be in my glory! Every now and then even the thick woods have an opening which may present a longer shot. It would be nice to not have to use quite so much guesswork for hold-over. Just an idea I was hoping someone with the ability would try to accomplish.
    1965 Marlin .444
    Ruger #1 45-70
    Model 700 .270
    Ithaca NID 16 Ga.

Member #

Great idea!

I can see it, now if I can just build it. The close one could be a ghost ring.
    Tim
    Edmund Burke

Tinhorn
    Member #

Tim, the way I see the pivoting piece is a small piece of L flat stock with a slightly wider flat circle mated to each end of the L. The short side circle could have a large hole drilled in the center leaving a thin ring of metal all the way around, thus a ghost ring type sight picture. On the long side of the L the hole could be smaller for a bit more precision without sacrificing too much field of view. Ultimately this could be milled from one piece of flat L stock, my description was just to help you visualize the overall look. To keep it somewhat streamlined the wings would either be kept as low as possible, or left off completely, somewhat like an XS sight but with a half circle on each side to hold the pivot pin, which could possibly be threaded to act as a windage adjustment as well. Can you still picture it? Ken
    1965 Marlin .444
    Ruger #1 45-70
    Model 700 .270
    Ithaca NID 16 Ga.

Member #

good idea

The only problem I see is getting the height of the ghost ring just right. A little elevation adjustment may be needed. If I were putting one on my own gun I would build the front sight to work with the ghost ring, but that is more involved than most folks want to get with the concept. There has to be a way of making this work.

Tim
    Edmund Burke

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Not sure this will help any, but it might start the creative juices flowing.

I am anxiously waiting to see what you come up with.

Brad

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/rough_ready.html

Member #

It does help

I'm trying a prototype this weekend.
    Thanks
    Tim
    Edmund Burke

Tinhorn
    Member #

Tim, how are you coming on this one? Catskill.
    1965 Marlin .444
    Ruger #1 45-70
    Model 700 .270
    Ithaca NID 16 Ga.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links