+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Obselete shotguns

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    It was one heck of a strong action. Never heard the 06 chambering story, but could be. What is forgotten, is the 97 went from early on, into the stronger steel and heat treating methods in the later ones. LIke the 1892s, I would have no qualms converting a late 92 into a 357 lets say, but would be a bit cautious on the early ones.\

Ackley was a heck of a guy. Kind of a hero too me , never took any ones word for much, till he proved things himself. Thus, he found out a lot of guys are simply full of mierda. Especially the gun writers.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryKennedy View Post
    I have an old Marlin model 43 shotgun that I shot quite a bit 30 to 40 years ago, using both short and magnum loads including slugs. It is 12 ga. When I sent Marlin a letter asking for a parts diagram years ago, I was told parts are no longer available and that this gun should not be used to fire modern ammunition. The metal does not appear to have the swirling pattern of Damascus barrels, which I have been told are not strong enough for modern ammo. Patent dates on the gun are from the ealy 1900's. Is this shotgun obsolete?
    Welcome to MO.

Not obsolete! Marlin did that under advice from lawyers to reduce liabilities for older shotguns. The Model 43 was made into the 1930s of high quality steel, not Damascus. I have one these which I used for years and now my middle son has it. I would avoid magnum steel loads but this is a great SG for upland birds and clays. The patent dates begin in the early 20th century but continue on later.

I used a Model 1897 Winchester Black Diamond SG for goose/duck on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in the early 70s. It was a weaker design than the later hammerless Marlins but digested the #2 magnums without a problem (other than recoil!). I replaced it with a late 30's Steven 520 Ranger and then with a Remington 1100.

I used an 1898 Marlin and later a 97 Winchester (DOM 1910) for Cowboy shooting. SASS outlawed the Marlins after Marlin issued that warning.

DD
    I'm not as good as I once was but I'm better ONCE than I ever was.

Team 38-55 #29
    Marlin League #80
    Team Old Pharts #101
    Team Shotgun #21

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links