+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Marlin/Ranger Model 103.11 O/U Shotgun

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin/Ranger Model 103.11 O/U Shotgun

I have a Marlin made Ranger O/U 16 ga shotgun that I'm going to put up for sale. It has a four digit serial #38xx, 26" barrels, can't find any markings indicating the choke. The gun locks up nice and tight. It does have some small rust spots here and there but in nice shape. Stock and forearm look good for a gun made in 1938 (I think). I bought this years ago and never shot it. It does have checkering on the forearm and stock. This has double triggers. I'd like to know what you think it would be worth and what a fair asking price would be for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tschim; 05-27-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Marlin Model 90s go for $150 and up on the auction sites. Ask $400 and see what happens.

Ranger / sears model 90

D
    D
    I'm not as good as I once was but I'm better ONCE than I ever was.

Team 38-55 #29
    Marlin League #80
    Team Old Pharts #101
    Team Shotgun #21

Wrangler
    Member #
    What length barrels does it have? 26" are generally choked IC/Mod and MAY be worth more than 28" barrels that are generally choked Mod/Full because apparently fewer with 26" barrels were made.
    Last edited by BarkeyVA; 05-23-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hi, The barrels are 26" from the muzzle to the where they break open. Does anyone know where I can look to find out how it is choked. I looked all over and could not find any markings for the choke. There appear to be some inspector markings above the receiver serial # , there is a R (barrel side of trigger guard). At the end of the barrel where it meets the receiver there is a JM in a circle with an X below it on the left side and the matching serial # on the right side. I removed the two screws on the handguard and slid it foward but did not see any marking there either. If you have any ideas where to look for the way it is choked I would appreciate the info.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    I agree with Barkely, guns of that era were typically choked the more open, the shorter the tubes. I mean it would be rare to find a 26 tubed gun to be mod and full. But it may have been a factory option. And its not uncommon for any shotgun to have been opened up. Ya cant really trust your life on a choke marking on any used shotgun, unless you know its exact history.

FWIW, a guy was toting a Marlin 90 inn 16 around the last Reno show I went too, It was dead nuts mint for all practical purpose. The guy had been offered 4 hundred apparently several times, which was going to be my offer, but he had passed. Later in the show, he was still toting it around. One of them sellers afraid to put a price on a gun, afraid of selling too cheap. But if 5 buyers offer the same money on any gun, it can be safely presumed they are lowballing, and the retail price would be a couple hundred bucks higher. But more than a few guy would buy such a gun at 400, and grin like heck to sell it for 525, rather than pack it around looking for 6 or 7.

Nice as they are, we have to be honest, even the Marlin 90 is in a niche collectors market, a private branded one is in the "what the heck is this gun collectors market", and worth pretty much what anyone will pay for it.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tschim View Post
    I looked all over and could not find any markings for the choke. ...If you have any ideas where to look for the way it is choked I would appreciate the info.
    All of my pre-WWII Model 90DT's and Model 90/Ranger DTs have the chokes marked on the left side of the barrels about 1/4" in front of the chambers. The forearm must be removed to see the choke designations, I, M or F. Interestingly, none of my post-war Model 90's or Model 90/JC Higgins shotguns are marked to indicate the chokes.

I agree with RGR that a gun needs to be priced to sell depending on how bad the seller wants it sold. I have a 16 ga. Model 90ST with 26" barrels (IC/M) that I am going to sell. However, I am in no hurry to sell it because I don't need to sell it. According to Brophy in his book on Marlin firearms, only 1039 16 ga. model 90ST's were made with 26" barrels. All the serial numbers match, and other than a replacement white line recoil pad, it is probably in 95% condition. I am asking $750. It may take some time, but I believe that sooner or later, someone who really wants a Model 90ST with 26" barrels in excellent conditon will be willing to pay that much to get it.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    Dang, now you are making me second guess myself on letting that 16 ga I saw last weekend get away. I did not measure the barrels at the time, but as said, the rest of the gun was certainly near mint.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Wrangler
    Member #
    No one knows for sure how many Model 90DT's were made with 26" barrels. Although no records exist, Brophy estimated that a total of 15,000 Model 90DT's were made between 1937 to 1942. He provided no production estimate for the years 1945-1952. He wrote that out of a total of 10,934 Model 90DT's made between 1952 and 1957, the year Marlin stopped production of the DT, only 931 were made in 16 ga. with 26" barrels.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BarkeyVA View Post
    All of my pre-WWII Model 90DT's and Model 90/Ranger DTs have the chokes marked on the left side of the barrels about 1/4" in front of the chambers. The forearm must be removed to see the choke designations, I, M or F. Interestingly, none of my post-war Model 90's or Model 90/JC Higgins shotguns are marked to indicate the chokes.

I agree with RGR that a gun needs to be priced to sell depending on how bad the seller wants it sold. I have a 16 ga. Model 90ST with 26" barrels (IC/M) that I am going to sell. However, I am in no hurry to sell it because I don't need to sell it. According to Brophy in his book on Marlin firearms, only 1039 16 ga. model 90ST's were made with 26" barrels. All the serial numbers match, and other than a replacement white line recoil pad, it is probably in 95% condition. I am asking $750. It may take some time, but I believe that sooner or later, someone who really wants a Model 90ST with 26" barrels in excellent conditon will be willing to pay that much to get it.
    I removed the two screws on the forearm but it just slides back and forth, it won't just come off. Is there something else I should be doing? I don't want to force it and break something as the forearm is in great shape. Thanks

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nikssehagal View Post
    Nice to know that in your given post,I can see the images of the shot gun.I like the shot gun and I am intrested in buying it.Now a days in market its prize is $200. So tell me whats prize you will place on this shot gun.I am waiting for your reply.
    Just wondering if you could tell me what your signature means..... SPAM ALERT!
    Last edited by T-Roy; 05-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    BloodGroove4570 likes this.
    GONE

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links