+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 120 pump shotgun

I just bought a Marlin 120 pump at a gun show this morning. I could not test the action at the show, because he had a zip-tie through where the pump slides. I got it home, and as soon as I worked the action, it got stuck in the open position. I have never owned a shotgun before, and never taken one apart. Am I overlooking something really easy here, or do I have a problem? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Mike112769

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I feel stupid. I just solved the problem as soon as I posted this question. Some days you feel like a nut, some days you are.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    It might help the next guy if you post the 'solution' to your problem...

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Fair enough Salmoneye. I just felt so dumb that I did not want to elaborate. All I had to do was pull the trigger. See what I mean? Since that day I have learned everything there is to know about how shotguns operate. That was my first, but will not be my last.

To anyone elae new to shotguns, I highly recommend learning everything you can about your gun BEFORE you even pick it up. Thanks for the prod Salmoneye. I should have posted it without being reminded. I made a bad mistake. Just because I am proficient with rifles, does not mean I know squat about shotguns. A foolish mistake that I will NEVER repeat.

Have a good one, and thanks again.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I ran into a similar problem with a Remington 878 autoloader 12 gauge a few weeks ago. Got the bolt locked back and couldn't get it to release. I keep pushing on this and that for about an hour. Finally, I pushed in on the magazine follower and the bolt went home.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Tinhorn
    Member #

Model 120

I bought a model 120 when they first came out about 1973. Full choke, would really knock down the mallards jumping off the creek with 1 7/8 lead loads. Later I sold it, too heavy for upland carry. A few years ago I found its clone in mint condition for $125 and scooped it up. Great guns but awfully heavy. Regarding Remington 878, early autoloader, I once had a beater Rem 870 pump gun that I duck hunted with. Took barrel off, found out it had two gas vent holes up under the magazine ring. Was an 878 auto barrel. Carbon on the mag tube, otherwise worked fine on my 870. Guess Rem really did try to make parts common on their guns.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I am new to the site but have owned the Marlin 120 pump since 1979-80 I bought it at a Ducks Unlimited Dinner and it had the 40 barrel, it fired great for years and won a ton of turkeys at the shoots. Now I find that the second round pops out of the bottom when you fire the first round. I noticed this a few years ago so I cleaned it and put it on the wall, I would like to start shooting it again. Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I'd love to find a 120, been looking for nice one for a long time.
    "a man ought to have a good rifle, needn't be an expensive rifle, needn't be a powerful rifle, just a good rifle" - Old Moe

Veteran 68-74
    Team Old Pharts #131Ö.."I prefer old guns, old whiskey and mature women"
    Team 60 #133
    ​Team .22 Magnum #37

​Team Crown Royal #1

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    have the same problem, shot trap in college 79-81,doves, burnt a lot of reloads,for the past 25 years its been in storage. never had it looked at though.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The shells popping out the bottom is usually a shell stop problem. Use some snap caps and with the gun upside down so you can see while operating it slowly cycle the action. You will see the shell pop back, should be held by the tip of one of the shell stops, then the other as the lifter cycles. If the second one is bent from being hit by all the shells moving in recoil over the years you can either bend it back to spec. carefully which usually hold for a few hundred to a couple thousand rounds or install a new stop which amounts to just detail stripping the action and putting in the new one. Hope that helps ya out.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links