+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Stevens 520 Disassembly (also woks for sears model 30 and western field model 30)

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I was just given a Stevens 520 12ga pump (no model # anywhere, took a few to figure out 520 v 620), mainly because it was lying fallow and also because it didn't fire. I took it down (thanks very much for the instructions), and the firing pin seems to be broken. I say seems because it is very hard to find online pictures with scale to tell. So three questions.

1) Anyone confirm it is broken (I have dry fired it without the barrel on, pin doesn't come out. Plus it looks sheared.)?

2) Anyone confirm if there is or is not a spring holding the firing pin back (wasn't one in mine, but that's no guarantee there wasn't one. Who knows how many hands have been in here)?

3) My firing pin has a large oval cutout opposite the pin cutout. I believe this is a "old" style, as the only ones I can find online do not have this. Are they interchangeable?

And some photos...

IMAG0580.jpg

Yes, that is spray paint.

IMAG0581.jpg

And the offending part...

IMAG0586.jpg

Nice old school plug.

Thanks!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That pin does look broken, since they have no spring on the firing pin, you should see it poke out of the bolt if you point the muzzle down with it in the gun. And yes, that is indeed a 520, one of the earlier ones with the humpback receiver that I mentioned earlier. That pin does look different than the one in mine; May want to check with these guys to see what they have: Savage Shotgun Parts, Stevens Shotgun Parts,Springfield Shotgun Parts, Original Obsolete Stevens Shotgun Parts. Stevens Autsomatic Shotgun Parts, Stevens Pump Shotgun Parts, Stevens Single Barrel Shoptgun Parts, Stevens Shotgun Barrels, Stevens Doubl. You user name wouldn't have anything to do with New Castle, PA would it?
    The world is much better with a pair of calipers.
    Team 30-30 member #258

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by stevens520 View Post
    That pin does look broken, since they have no spring on the firing pin, you should see it poke out of the bolt if you point the muzzle down with it in the gun. And yes, that is indeed a 520, one of the earlier ones with the humpback receiver that I mentioned earlier. That pin does look different than the one in mine; May want to check with these guys to see what they have: Savage Shotgun Parts, Stevens Shotgun Parts,Springfield Shotgun Parts, Original Obsolete Stevens Shotgun Parts. Stevens Autsomatic Shotgun Parts, Stevens Pump Shotgun Parts, Stevens Single Barrel Shoptgun Parts, Stevens Shotgun Barrels, Stevens Doubl. You user name wouldn't have anything to do with New Castle, PA would it?
    Thanks, just sent them an inquiry. Really don't want to take it down any farther, everything else seems to work and the online parts fiches aren't that great quality. Found a nice trigger group dissassembly write up here if I decide to.

Think beer not state

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the link on the trigger group, with these guns, any lit bit helps. And before I forget........Welcome to Marlin Owners!!! Lots of good folks around here, and good info too.
    Team 30-30 member #258

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Just came upon a Stevens 520-30 12 with a choke, trying to find a value, Mom wants to sell the gun. Will post photos as soon as the sun comes out.

Jack

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    add a note... carefull not to crimp the grooves on the mag tube! makes things very difficult to cycle the gun...

on a side note... anyone know how to remove the crimps someone put into the grooves on the mag tube!?!?! without dropping $40 on a new tube?

got to be a way to pop them out... going to walk away from this for a while... grrrr...
    Always remember that God is forever, and His strong, everlasting arms will hold you safe, keeping you from danger...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Crimp the grooves on the mag tube? Must see an example.I picked a nice one off of gun broker for 20 bucks; just keep an eye out.
    Team 30-30 member #258

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    looks like a pair of vise grips was used to turn the tube... this is a riverside arms co... no model no stamped...but has the double hump.... just like the stevens 520... the mag tube only... wont allow the slide to move all the way up... has some high spots that are preventing the slide from moving... you found a mag tube on gunbroker there stevens520... for $20... shipped!? send me one!!!
    Always remember that God is forever, and His strong, everlasting arms will hold you safe, keeping you from danger...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Ok, know that you explained it, I know exactly what you are talking about; had to replace my wife's for the same reason. I functioned fine, but I replaced it because of a couple of gouges I put in it while trying to get the bushing off (got stuck while taking it down, hence the warning not to turn it too many times.) and my jaws bit through the padding.If I remember correctly, I picked the new one up for 15.00 + shipping. Got really lucky finding one at that price, and for a 20 gauge, and even luckier that I found it the night I boogered it up.Don't see anything on there right now, but I know it came from a guy in Wisconsin he may have others around too. I see if I can find his info.
    Team 30-30 member #258

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hey there stevens 520,was just enjoying this post .As a past 520 owner,I also did alot of research on this shotgun.For the life of me I cannot remember which site I found the info on ,But I was able to find the manufacture date for my gun.If memory serves me right it was 1910.The oldest of the 520 have the slide release button on the left side of the reciever as opposed to the later versions that had the button down under the reciever in front of the trigger,then finally on the outside left of the trigger guard.Ill try to do more research for you.There was also barrel markings I was able to trace in order to find DOM.FRAN
    Last edited by deerhog; 03-29-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links