+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

(Vintage)410 lever shotgun

Need some help fellows on the Marlin 410 Shotgun: As far as I can find out is that there were 2 different brls. available for gun. They were 22" & 26" both modified. Does anybody know if this is true? If so approx. how many as a percent were 22"verses 26"?? Thanks in advance............................

:lol: :lol:
    pikeMaster

To Shoot Farther, Squeeze The Trigger Harder....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

There were a FEW 22" barreled 410's made. Something like 10,000 or so 410's were made altogether, and the 22" variety is described as "very scarce". There were also made a small number of deluxe 410's which are "rare". There weren't complete records for several of the older models, and that's one of the things that makes collecting fun! SW
    f you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hi NebrHogger,
    Glad to hear from you about the 22" brls. What would you call RARE as in percent of 10,000? Something like 10%? What did the Deluxe model look like? Thanks again-
    :shock: :lol: :lol:
    pikeMaster

To Shoot Farther, Squeeze The Trigger Harder....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Well, I'm not even going to sign off on the 10,000 figure since I believe the total production to be less than that. (only my own opinion)My GUESS on the 22" bbl and deluxe models is that they number only in the hundreds. I've never actually seen or even heard of either one offered for sale.

The deluxe model differes from the plain in the checkering. The fore arm of the deluxe has no finger grooves and is covered 'round with checkering showing a 'raised diamond' pattern similar to the modern guide gun. The stock is also checkered and has the raised diamond in the wrist area.

These two would be prime candidates for fakery as discussed on the collector forum above, so I would be more likely to buy a well-worn specimen than a nice one. When one surfaces, look for it to go high. SW
    f you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Absolutely right! It would be very easy to cut a 26" barrel down to 22" and reinstall the front sight bead. As Marlin barrels for the model 410 have no markings, they could easily be refinished.
    The deluxe version only needs new wood, and since they are so rare, there are none to compare it to.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tenderfoot
    Member #

yes it is true both barrel lengths are out there, I recently sold a short barreled model that I had, only because it wasn't as nice as my other standard length 410. they are nice and exceptionally rare but I just could not justify keeping more than one. at least that is what I keep telling myself!!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Yikes! Those shorties are super rare! I can't bear to part with one of mine, and neither are shorties! I'm afraid a short barreled 410 would be a must keep for me!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tenderfoot
    Member #

i have one of the old lever .410's. the serial no. is 5280. i think my dad got it somewhere around the late 20's. it's killed a train load of squirrels. my son gave me a new win. 9410 when they first came out. the 9410 won't come close to shooting with the old marlin .410.

i'm in the market for another old lever action .410 so i can leave one to each of my sons.

olduckhunter

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 410 lever action shotgun

I need some help. I've got a Marlin 410 lever action shotgun with the long barrel. I need to find out what it's worth for the insuance company. Any advice would help. Thanks

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links