+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Marlin pump shotguns....

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin pump shotguns....

Good evening folks,

I just wanted to get some educated opinions on Marlin pump shotguns. Which models were/are the best? I am building my Marlin lifetime wish list and have zero experience with Marlin shotguns. Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Joe
    30AS 30-30
    Model 60W
    Obsolescence is only defined by application

Site Contributor Cowpoke
    Member #

Re: Marlin pump shotguns....

I sure hope you get some good info on your question .

I have had an ole Win. Ranger 20 Ga. for the last 25 or so years as my only shotgun. Its a dandy but I have been thinking why dont I have a Marlin pump 20Ga. too . I know squat about shotguns and even less about Marlin shotguns .

So like you I would like to know what is best G.P. shotgun Marlin blessed us with?
    blklghtj likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Well, I must say I'm disappointed. It's been a week and no additional posts or info. Was this a dumb question or are there just no other members who know much on the subject? Oh well, no biggie....thanks for the supportive reply, kerr , as well as the additional question.

Best regards,

Joe
    30AS 30-30
    Model 60W
    Obsolescence is only defined by application

Site Contributor Cowpoke
    Member #

O , give er a little time and someone will trip across your thread and offer up some info . Being spring time and all , folks are busy planting and such . I have tons to do myself but the M.D. has me on house arrest , blood pres. threw the roof.
    Never smoked and never was a hand at drinking , just lucky I guess.
    blklghtj likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Joe:

Here's my .25 worth of wisdom (2 cents plus inflation).

I really like older Marlin pumps (hammer) and used one in cowboy shooting for a number of years until they were outlawed. My 1905 made Model 1898 was faster and smoother that any 1897 Winchester. I also had and used a 30G (20ga). Over the last 5 years I have sold all except a Model 1898 with a 2 digit serial number, in original condition.

I do have a hammerless Model 42 made in the 1930s that I found for 25 bucks in a yard sale. It's a duck gun with 28" full choke barrel; my middle son has this one now and uses it for trap/skeet. He loves it.

There are newer Marlin pumps out there but, sadly, relatively little interest even tho they are excellent SGs.

Read this forum and you'll learn alot.

I hope this helps,
    Doc
    blklghtj likes this.
    I'm not as good as I once was but I'm better ONCE than I ever was.

Team 38-55 #29
    Marlin League #80
    Team Old Pharts #101
    Team Shotgun #21

Sidewinder
    Member #

Brophy, in his book, Marlin Firearmes, The Guns and the Company That Made Them, published in 1989 by Stackpole Books, devoted over 60 pages to Marlin shotguns. The book is out of print but I bought one on eBay. Prior to getting my own copy, I was able to get one to read through enter-library loan.

Sears guns made by Marlin would have Ranger 103.xxx prior to WWII and J. C. Higgins 103.xxx after WWII.on on the barrel. Much later Marlin-made guns may have have been sold under the Ted Williams brand.
    blklghtj likes this.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

My BIL has a Marlin pump shotgun, and it's the only one I have ever seen. It's a model 120 12 ga with a 28" modified barrel. Nice gun, but when he tells people it's a Marlin, they think he meant Mossberg.
    blklghtj likes this.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I don't know too much about them except they are not alowed in cowboy shoots anymore. Marlin suggests you do not fire any hammer Marlin shotguns anymore. All hammer SG's nicknamed the Widowmakers because the bolt could blow back into your face. There is a site out there...can't remember the name, but people still do shoot them. Making sure the locking lug is in perfect working condition is key for saftey! If I could find one in nice condition I would snap it up in a second. To me the model 42's are one sharp lookin hammer 12 ga!

Modern high velocity ammo is a no no! Federal makes some good stuff in the low 1100 fps velocity!

Here's a good read for you!
    http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin98s.htm
    blklghtj and TomcatPC like this.
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I own a Marlin/Glenfield Mod 778 12 guage pump but don't know didilly about any other Marlin pump shotguns. I know the 778 that I have has the
    best trigger pull on a shotgun I've ever felt. My tuned triggers on my rifles hardly compare to the trigger pull on that 778. It has a vent rib, 3" chamber and it's heavy as all get out. If we ever go to shotgun only for deer hunting here where I live in NE PA, it's going to be my deer gun. It
    belonged to my late FIL and I received it after his passing. He maybe fired 10 shots out of it after he purchased it. My best friend who is the senior Pennsylvania Sporting Clays Champ in 2010 tried the trigger and could not believe how crisp, clean, and light the trigger is. I'm gonna have
    to try my trigger pull guage on it some day. The model 778 is discontinued for some time now so I hope I never need any parts for it!
    358 Win
    blklghtj likes this.
    Thump em with a .35 caliber and they stay
    thumped. Team 35 member #17. Team 30-30 member # 98. Team .32 Special #5. NRA Life Member. USN 7/10/69 - 12/6/73. Operation Homecoming Staff, Clark Air Base, Philippines.
    Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BarkeyVA
    Brophy, in his book, Marlin Firearmes, The Guns and the Company That Made Them, published in 1989 by Stackpole Books, devoted over 60 pages to Marlin shotguns.
    I need to clarify my previous statement. Brophy devoted 85 pages pages to Marlin Shotguns with 60 pages just on Marlin Pump shotguns. According to Brophy, a total of 34,941 Marlin/Glenfield 778 shotguns were sold between 1979 and 1984. Retail price in 1979 was $150 and $244.95 in 1983. According to Brophy, the 778 has all of the features of their Model 120, except the 778 generally used walnut stained hardwood (birch) instead of walnut for the stock and forearm.

According to Brophy, the Model 42 and 42A with an exposed hammer were sold from 1922-1933 in 5 different grades. The Model 43A hammerless takedown pump gun was only offered from 1922-1930. He called it the new version of the old model 28. They also sold a 20g. model 44A and 44S from 1922-1933.

Brophy has 3 pages on the 12 ga. model 120 magnum (1971-1985), that he described as "the finest shotgun Marlin ever made." It was chambered for 2-3/4 and 3" shells, and 48,651 were sold.

The Model 1898 exposed hammer pump was offered from 1898 to 1905. Other exposed hammer shotguns were the model 16, 17, 19, 21, 24, 26, 30, 42 and 49.

blklghtj and Niftus like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links