+ Reply to Thread

WT [OP]
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin Model 120 Magnum

The original post is a little old so I thought I'd post this again...

I recently helped my in-laws move and my father-in-law gave me a Marlin 120 Magnum that appears to be brand new / unfired. He's quite a trapshooter and said he won it at a shoot somewhere, sometime, but not sure when. It is a 12 gauge, 2 3/4" & 3" chamber, Modified choke, 28" barrel, vent rib with both front and middle beads. The serial number is A027xx. I would guess it must be early production. Can anyone pin it down as to year of manufacture? From what I can find out, it's probably worth about $325. Would that be correct?
    RA Life Member 30+ years

Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Marlin Model 120 Magnum

The precise YOM is going to be hard to determine. It sounds like you know it was made between 1971 & 1979. With the low serial number, I'm guessing you are right that it is an early one.

There were 12,089 of the 120 - 28" barrels produced from the 48,6XX total 120 magnums made.

I'm just not sure of the value. These sell in the 200 - 250 range in this part of the country. In a region where trapshooting is very popular, they could well bring more than that. SW
    f you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!

WT [OP]
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin Model 120 Magnum

NebrHogger

Thanks for the reply! After looking over this shotgun, I think I'll keep it. I already have several Remington 870's, but this looks like a good shotgun for pheasant hunting in South Dakota! I'll have to shoot a few rounds of trap with it and see how it fits me.

WT
    RA Life Member 30+ years

Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands!

Sidewinder
    Member #

not sure of date...

I had a Marlin M120 that I bought new in 1984 for about $180. It was a 28" modified choke 12 ga. Nothing fancy. It pointed well. One thing it did very well was shoot regular foster style slugs. I seem to remember 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards with the regular front and mid rib beads.

The action was a little clunky. I never stoned it or polished it-I should have. I liked it-but I sold it to get a Rem 870. The basis was "there is a lot more aftermarket items for an 870 than a Marlin 120."

I never GOT any aftermarket items for my 870, and it didn't fit me as well as the Marlin. Looking back on it, I should've kept the Marlin. I wouldn't have been at any disadvantage. It shot steel shot, it shot slugs, it pointed well.

I have no idea what the serial number is for dates of manufacture. Sorry-just tryiong to give support to you to keep the shotgun and enjoy it. It's well made, like every other Marlin product. Enjoy/
    Free advice is worth what you've paid for it.

Cowpoke
    Member #

Marlin Model 120 Magnum

I'm about 20 miles from the ATA Grand National and they are still bringing around $200-250 when I see them for sale there.
    I own one and I like it. I am sort of partial to the Marlin breed anyway, so I am biased a little.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I also have a 120 Magnum. 30" barrel, vent rib, front and mid bead. serial # A303xx. Purchsed at Sears in mid-70's. I inquired with the company and was told records for serial numbers to determine year of manufacture were lost in a fire. Guns for Sears were manufactured from 1971-1985 to give an idea of the range of dates. Absolutely love the smooth action of this gun.

I am looking for a pdf of the owners manual and am asking if anyone has this.

sullyclan

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links