+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

410 GAUGE LEVER GUN

New member here,

I currently own a Model 60 and 39, but my question is about the 410 lever gun. I wanted to know what you experienced marlin owners who have one think about it. I also would like to know it Marlin is going to make it available as part of their production line, as far as I know it was only available at Cabella's.

Appreciate any and all comments and I look forward to learning much more about Marlin rifles from this forum.

Skip from Wisconsin

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: 410 GAUGE LEVER GUN

At certain times of the year Marlin makes a run of XLR versions of this gun.It is available thru Accusports dealers only.

Sidewinder
    Member #

The .410 bore is an awesome gun but with that said...I love lever guns, I love .410's (have 3), and I love Marlins so it's kind of a no-brainer for me
    I primarily use mine for fun shooting skeet/trap w/friends...if I was still a deer hunter I wouldn't hesitate to use it at close range....just need a good clean shot is all.

Realize this..it is a modern Marlin...finish on mine was so-so therefore it is in the process of having an oil finish apllied as well as the checkering re-cut. The inletting is not great but not bad (I'll fix that) and just overall it's kinda rough in some spots...the barrel and the receiver look great regarding the finish and the bluing but the small parts (lever, etc) show an obvious sign of being tossed in a bin at the factory. The internals are ez to clean up for smoothing as well as the springs etc. I'm being kinda' harsh and the truth is right out of the box it's great and totally usable as well as being a blast but it IS a modern Marlin and overall finish is not so great compared to old school gunwork. If you are the tinkering type and have the fortitude, all of the above complaints can be addressed and you will be left with a stellar piece.
    It's a bit heavy but that serves it well because while we are not talking heavy recoil using a .410...the weight of the gun makes the recoil -zero-. I have a Winchester 9410 as well...The Winchester is awesome and much better in the finish dept. but for one reason or the other..I like the Marlin. My brother is NOT the tinkering type and he has one as well....straight out of the box he's really happy with it so...

Got mine from Cabelas and would buy another in a heartbeat!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Ive got one and love it. I use it for rabbit hunting and it does just fine in the brushy places I hunt. I was suprised at the finish of mine it was better than my 1894ss. but they did have three to choose from. It shoots about a 3" group at 75yds off hand for me which aint bad in my mind. Id say get one
    Team 444 member #317
    Team 45/70 member #87
    Southwestern Indiana

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

What 3? Ionly know of the walnut/blued and XLR version.

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Gave up on getting one of them when I scored a M66 Ithaca single .410 but it is straight stocked levergun.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I agree with Scots post and even though the fit and finish don't bother me I may recut the checkering someday and maybe an oil finish. I wanted one of these when they were available before and could not justify it because I didn't think I would shoot it much. And when they became available at Cabelas I was able to buy one cheap (promo discounts and points). And even though when I bought it I thought it would see very little use, I have shot it alot and enjoy it immensely. I've shot it at skeet and done fairly well(22-23) it just handles alot different than a 30" O/U tube set. Shot some barn pigeons with it last weekend and plan on using it for rabbit and squirrel. This gun has been MUCH more fun than I ever expected and I would highly recomend it. P.S. I would like it to have the interchangable chokes even though cyl.bore suits me.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by good ole boy
    What 3? Ionly know of the walnut/blued and XLR version.
    Sorry...hadn't checked in on this thread...I'm assuming you are referring to my explaining that I have 3 .410's...

Not 3 Marlins but 3 .410's is what I have...the Marlin (Blued), A Winchester 9410, and a CZ SxS....just love the fun of a .410. I do pretty good at trap but skeet can really be challenging...although that's also true with a 20ga. for me anyhow

Sidewinder
    Member #

I've had an occasion to shoot a lever 410. I felt that it was very good feeling and shot great. The CB action Jrs are allowed to use them and they also do very well with them although the length nof pull is a bit much for most of them.

If I had the right oppertunity and the price was good I would consider getting for my own use.
    B Judd

Wrangler
    Member #

I saw one of these gun's today for 695.00 Sounded way high for price, what are you guy's paying for your's?
    Yesterday I was younger

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links