+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By North country gal

Thread: Marlin 778 Shotgun?

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin 778 Shotgun?

I just picked up a model 778 Marlin pump shotgun at the local gun show last Saturday. Have not had a chance to try it out yet. What can anyone tell me about it? I never knew Marlin made such a shotgun, and at first glance I thought it was a Remington 870 or 1100. I was pleased to find it was a Marlin and the price was pretty good. While looking at it the owner knocked $35 off the price, so I paid him and left.

Cowpoke
    Member #

Re: Marlin 778 Shotgun?

The 778 you have is a Marlin/Glenfield version of the Marlin Model 120. It's the same exact shotgun, except the stock. The Marlin 120 has a walnut stock where the 778 has a lower grade wood stock that was distributed to deptartment stores to sell.

It's a great shotgun. I've had both the 778 and the 120 models. I sold the 778 with a 40" barrel that I had. Someone wanted it for the barrel and was willing to buy the whole gun for the barrel. I didn't mind since I had the model 120 with 3 barrels, one being the rifled sight slug barrel.

I paid around $200 for the 778 and a little more for the Mod. 120. I think around $250 with only one barrel. I found the other barrels later on.

The Marlin pump shotgun has quite a few similarities to the Mod. 12 Winchester and it hasn't failed me yet.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I don't know if it is year model change or not but the 120 I have is slightly different than the 778 I have. The 778 Glenfield has an extra tang on top of the receiver that extends into the butt stock. The 120 is straight across the back so the stocks won't interchange. Also the extractors on the 778 are longer and the trigger group pins are the same front and back, The 120 has a larger diameter pin in the rear. They look the same at first but buying one for a parts gun for the other didn't work too well.

Site Contributor Sidewinder
    Member #

I recently purchased a Marlin 120 and I love it. It has a 28" barrel with vent rib and modified choke. If you look closely at the gun it actually looks like several shotguns put together.

-The bolt resembles a Mossberg 500/590

-The receiver is like a Winchester Model 12

-The barrel lug and retainer are reminiscent of the Remington 870

The most unique feature that stands out to me is the bolt release is a large tab just in front of the trigger. I have read that Marlin designed it this way for folks wearing gloves in the field.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

marlin 778 barrel

Anyone know where I can get another barrel for the 778? is the 120 barrel compatible with the 778? looking for shorter barrel or one I can modify.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I inherited a Glenfield 778 12 gauge shotgun that belonged to my late father in law. It has the vent rib on a 28" Modified choked barrel. Trigger pull is almost bench rest rifle grade. Never before have I fired a shotgun with such a crisp/clean trigger pull. It has never failed to fire or function. It throws a really dense pattern for a modified choked barrel. Only complaint I have is it's weight. I have shoulder and elbow issues and it's weight adds to the pain I have. Other than that I truly like it. It's great for sneaking into my favorite squirrel spot and sitting with it. It would be great for turkey hunting but I don't hunt them. For me it would not be my first choice for upland game hunting carrying it all day but for what I use it for it's great. It also has a three inch chamber. All my other 12 gauges are 2 3/4 inch chambered. My understanding is the 778 was not offered very long and not a whole lot were made. That was posted on MO a while back when questions arose about the 778. Another plus for me is that this year I got back into 12 gauge shot shell reloading after a 45 year hiatus. I'm loading 1oz, 1 1/8oz, and 1 1/4oz loads for all my 12 gauges. Life is good.
    358 Win
    Thump em with a .35 caliber and they stay
    thumped. Team 35 member #17. Team 30-30 member # 98. Team .32 Special #5. NRA Life Member. USN 7/10/69 - 12/6/73. Operation Homecoming Staff, Clark Air Base, Philippines.
    Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I had both the 120 and the 778 and enjoyed them both. The 120 was quite fussy about ammo with Federals always getting stuck in the chamber after firing. The 778, though, ate anything. I sold them both because of the weight, too. They were not fun to carry pheasant hunting all day. Fine old pump guns, though.
    longislandloco likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links