+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cowpoke
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

Has anyone here had experience shooting the new Marlin 410 or even the old one in the field? Be very interested in your observations, both in terms of how it performs and what your applications are. Seems like it would be a dandy and fast for small birds or snake defense, though Marlin's marketing suggests it can also be used for small game and pests. It specifically mentions rifle slugs as an option.

Wonder how it stacks up, for example, to the Winchester 9410? Haven't been able to find any reviews, though I believe it was re-introduced last year. I am curious abut whether the modern 410 is a clone or significantly improved from the original Marlin 410 produced in the 1920s.

Also, have read some articles that suggest that while 410 levers might be used with rifle slugs for deer, targets should be at very close range, say 50 yards or less? Since there are better options, like the old standby .30-30, for accuracy and distance, I would assume using a 410 for deer would be sort of a last resort selection, or perhaps a serious hunting challenge.

Thanks,
    lazer

JC
    Wrangler
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

Hey Lazer I am interested in the same information too. I was thinking that the little lever .410 would make for a nice tight brush rabbit gun.

In regards to the .410 Winchester, I have heard that they work great. I would rather spend my bucks on the Marlin though. Not that I dislike Winchesters (I own 4) I just like the Marlin levers better.

Jay
    1 .45-70 1895 LTD-V
    1 .45-70 1895 GS
    1 .410 Shotgun
    1 .44 1894 Cowboy (24)
    1 .357 1894 Cowboy (24)
    1 .38 1894 CBC
    1 .32 1894 Cowboy
    1 .25-20 1894CL
    And looking to add more!

Bikenut

New Marlin 410 and slugs

I have one of Marlin's new .410 lever action shotguns and love it. But... since I don't hunt and never put a slug through it I doubt if what I'm about to say will be of help.

When I first got it I used it for trap shooting..... and my results with the .410 equaled my results with a 12ga.... anywhere from 8 to 14 birds out of 25. Yeah, that is kinda miserable trap shooting but that is the shooter (obviously) and not the guns used. The .410 does shoot to point of aim though..... now to work on my aiming.......

I've since gone to the 12ga exclusively for trap and the .410 is now relegated to home defense. But I still love the gun, especially the looks of it.

Cowpoke
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

Thanks for sharing.

I got the Marlin .410 and have had a blast shooting it. What a riot.

Haven't tried it on clays, but it was very accurate on tossed, water-filled plastic bottles.

Haven't tried slugs either, so remain curious about their range and accuracy. If anyone has, holler.

Agree Bikenut on the looks. It's a keeper, the other extreme of my Marlin Goosegun with its 36 inch barrel. Looks matter, but they're great shooters too. Of course. They're Marlins.

lazer

Cowpoke
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

I've owned 2 Wrenchester 9410's and now the Marlin 410. I am totally sold on the Marlin over the Winchester for several reasons, but amazingly enough they are both very accurate slug guns. Both meaning that, right after buying the longer Winchester 9410 with the straight grip, I didn't like it at all. Too long and didn't shoot as accurate as the shorter version. So off it went. Sold the the first Winchester fan I could find. (Which was really easy to find). So that left me with the Winchester Tracker and the Marlin 410, with the 20 inch barrels. Since they are shotguns, I figured I'd treat them as such and see how they performed shooting clay pigeons. Both shot and broke clays pretty easy for me and a few of my friends who were with me. Then I took both of them out with slugs and tested how they would perform on paper. Both the Winchester and the Marlin were shooting better than I had ever expected. At 50 yards I was able to rest the guns and keep silver dollar size patterns on both guns. I had connected my holes a couple times with both shotguns, which really surprised me. Since I had the Winchester a year before the Marlin, I took it out deer hunting and found out why I hated the Winchester action. Too many moving parts and noisy. I took a couple shots at a deer and while working the action to reload from the first shot I stove piped the empty shell. I was not thrilled about that and was cussing Marlin for being so slow on the production of their 410. No deer that year. Then I finally got the Marlin 410 and hunted with it the following year. I was really impressed. First shot at a white tail deer and I dropped it where it stood. My jaw hit the ground in amazement. Never thought a 410 could make such an impression with a 50-60 yard shot. Next day I went out and almost repeated the same thing. About the same distance, but it took the second shot for me to hit the deer. First shot was high with the deer stopping and looking around to see where the noise came from, with me freezing in my position of the gun to my shoulder. I waited until it moved enough to block it's view from seeing my movement of reloading the gun and with a slow cocking of the lever. I was able to reload and not scare away the deer. Second shot dropped it. That's a lifetime record for me in a hunting season in Ohio. Some of my pros and cons of the Winchester and the Marlin are;

Pro - Winchester has a smaller diameter front sight than the Marlin, making it easier to sight the gun.

Con - Winchester's lever action is just plain noisy to me. Too many moving parts and you have to WORK to get a shell loaded.

Pro - Marlin's action is smoother, quieter and can be worked slower without a misfeed.

Con - The Marlin is heavier than the Winchester, BUT the Marlin kicks less.

Pro - Winchester puts on swivel studs and Marlin must have missed or forgot them. (Shame on you Marlin!!)

I have more pros and cons on both guns, but the bottom line is, I am sticking with the Marlin.

Dear Marlin... That was the closest I've ever come to considering keeping the Winchester lever over yours. Do more homework folks!

P.S. When shooting slugs, I used Winchester Super-X 2 1/2 inch hollow point rifled slugs.

WJM
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

Sorry for the late post, but I just noticed this shotgun section. I have had a Winchester 9410 for a few years and I love the 410 lever gun combo. One thing I did not see on all the above posts is shooting the buckshot ammo. Winchester makes a 2.5" shell with 3 "000" bucks @ 1,300 fps. If you do the math you will see that 3 X 70 gr = 210 gr @ 1,300 has the same 750 ME as the normal 44 mag revolver. At 60 feet all 3 "000" buckshots pretty much stay in about a 6 to 8" circle. Winchester also make a 3" with 5 "000" buckshots, but we can't use them.

Cowpoke
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

WJM,

Interesting. I talked to a gun shop clerk who says because of back injury he can now only handle the recoil of 410. Claims, however, that he uses such heavy loads to hunt waterfowl with success with it. I never thought a 410 could handle that, but he said he has gotten pretty accurate and brings them down.

What part of Illinios? I grew up in suburban Chicago.

lazer

6pt-sika

New Marlin 410 and slugs

I beieve Brenneke still makes their slug for 410's I would suggest trying those they cost a little more but so what The only thing I found I liked about the Winchester was the fact that they had a model with screw in chokes and I also like the looks of their pack rifle version However if I should ever decide to get one IT WILL BE THE MARLIN

JLD
    Tinhorn
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

I just posted my findings in response to another post so I will make it short.

Two years ago, Indiana (where I live) legalized the use of .410s for hunting deer. So, when Winchester brought out their model 94 in .410, I bought one for my 9 year old son to use and told him, "Head shots only". I bought the long barreled version thinking the longer barrel would be more accurate. I tried Remington, Winchester and Federal slugs in the gun. The Remingtons made the gun shoot like a rifle, so I bought an entire case of Remington .410 slugs. Last year, I bought one of the new Marlin .410s, thinking it would be much better than the Winchester. The Marlin is nicer looking, the wood to metal fit being better, the action is smoother, but it doesn't shoot slugs worth a crap. I tried them all and the Marlin just doesn't shoot as well as the Winchester. So, about three weeks ago, I bought a new Winchester 9410 Packer model with the shorter barrel. I wasn't sure it would shoot as well as the long barreled model, but again, using Remington slugs it shoots great!

I like the Marlin, just wish it would shoot slugs as well as the Winchester. I guess the Marlin will become a rabbit gun.

Cowpoke
    Member #

New Marlin 410 and slugs

JLD, I am using Winchester Super-X 2 1/2" rifled slugs. I've found them to out shoot the Remingtons slugs I tried.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links